Review Winners and losers 2022 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Was there much of an impact on Adelaide? They traded out pre-draft exactly for this reason
I think the bid came a little earlier than expected, and used up more points than what they were hoping.

They had to trade future picks to get back in the draft with both their late selections.

I haven’t voiced any conspiracies.

I said Sydney’s bid was a d!ck move.

Nothing conspiratorial about it. Just my opinion.
I think you and many here need a reminder how a draft works...

Your number is called... and you pick a player from the remaining pool.

There are no d!ck moves. It is their right to pick whomever they want. It is the other clubs right to not match that bid.

I for one think everything other than father son selections should be scrapped. It compromises the draft every year when players don't get picked where they should because clubs know it's a waste of time and effort (and they'd rather their actual selection feel warm and fuzzy that they picked them first and foremost).

GWS' problem was that they had the 3 picks all close together and the Swans had a 2nd one in that region too.

There was barely a feasible way to move picks out and move picks back in to preserve their draft hand. They could've traded out of 17 or whatever it was, but then lost 21. Trading out of 17, 21 and 22 unless teams were offering future firsts seems very unlikely, if not straight up impossible. They'd have to have found 3 good deals to go out, and 2-3 good deals to bring the picks back in.

GWS were left with 3 choices:

1. Pay Sydney's ransom, which I assume was a future 3rd or something similar to swap picks.

2. Let the kid go to Sydney and get on with picking their highest rated players, knowing you are losing some potential discount as well as losing the loyalty that comes with investing in your academy.

3. Cop the loss of pick 17 being more than you'd ideally want.

Have no idea why they didn’t try and take the Hawks deal that was offered to Sydney two picks later.

Love Philipou having a dig at Essendon

They better hope Elijah is a good player

Didn't like or see the need for 2 KPD/Defenders and another midfielder who doesn't like defensive pressure

We needed defensive pressure in the midfield and probably a KPF more than defender

You may eventually get the Pou and have both

GWS' problem was that they had the 3 picks all close together and the Swans had a 2nd one in that region too.

There was barely a feasible way to move picks out and move picks back in to preserve their draft hand. They could've traded out of 17 or whatever it was, but then lost 21. Trading out of 17, 21 and 22 unless teams were offering future firsts seems very unlikely, if not straight up impossible. They'd have to have found 3 good deals to go out, and 2-3 good deals to bring the picks back in.

GWS were left with 3 choices:

1. Pay Sydney's ransom, which I assume was a future 3rd or something similar to swap picks.

2. Let the kid go to Sydney and get on with picking their highest rated players, knowing you are losing some potential discount as well as losing the loyalty that comes with investing in your academy.

3. Cop the loss of pick 17 being more than you'd ideally want.
And of course option 4, trade all 3 picks to the cats for whatever the AFL thought was fair, I believe the going rate is a packet of chips and a future fourth!

Full of hot air.
I think for one, he’s pretty immature. He looks about 14yo and kind of acts like it.

Petracca was somewhat similar when he was drafted, and has even admitted so himself. He reportedly didn’t interview well with us at least. And let’s not forget that he reportedly said he wanted to be a “hall of famer” before he was drafted.

And for the first few years of his career he was laughed at for that, but he eventually grew up, and got super-fit and so-on, and eventually it all fell into place, and now he’ll almost certainly achieve his goal.

I’d much rather someone be honest than be false-modest, or just spew out the company line, and all the tired cliches, just basically a production line clone of everyone else. 🥱

I think being like Phillipou rubs many up the wrong way because they were stifled and taught to be all those latter things, so when they come across someone who’s just open and honest, and says and does what they want, they hate on them, out of jealousy, etc.

Because that guy/girl gets to be much more free, the way they wish they could be themselves.

Which they of course could be, if they were brave enough.

Last edited:
The first thing they need to stop is this matching of bids in the 30's, and this comes from someone whose side will benefit next year. You shouldn't be able to match a bid with a pick more than 15 spots under the bid. They have ridiculously overvalued mid picks and clubs are giving fans the middle finger. I use the pub test, if I had picks 30, 31 and you had pick 12 in a normal draft would you trade it? It's apparently worth the same! Doesn't pass the pub test for me, so either increase the first round points curve, or decrease the second take your pick.

Just remove the discount. The reward is accessing a kid you normally wouldn't access, why should it also be discounted ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Means some are peeved they passed on him
The thing is people have grasped onto one comment where he said "I'd take myself number one because you have to back yourself in" which is the same comment heaps of the top draftees made and for some reason he has become this figjam figure.

But if you actually listen to his interviews he's really switched on and humble and actually interviews better than most of our current players.

He's a 17 year old kid but people are already desperate to bring him down based on one quote taken out of context. Really weird behaviour.

Just remove the discount. The reward is accessing a kid you normally wouldn't access, why should it also be discounted ???

Should do both. These mid picks need to be reduced in valued.

There all good young players but once again ignored a major need of contested ball winning players
this external obsession (fans, pundits alike) ignores 2 things for me
1-we've got contested ball winners. Parish and Shiel are quite good at it. at times, we've dominated clearances. It's what comes next that hurts. On transition, the ball moves too freely against us.

2-no one player fixes it. It's a team defence in modern AFL. pressure on the ball when you don't have it. move it quick when you do to counter opposition pressure.

Scott & co need all the players to fix this.

The reason that Kinnear is cranky is because the media always goes out of its way to create "Sydney are the bad guy" narratives around our trading, drafting, and academy, and as evidenced by this thread it's clear that plenty of idiots buy into those narratives.

None of the talking head "draft experts" have much in the way of expertise or knowledge to impart so have to rely on manufactured drama to fill air time, and it's clearly a frustration to a no-bullshit type like Kinnear. It must be like having a PHD and talking astrophysics with a bunch of giggling high school girls.

I think for one, he’s pretty immature. He looks about 14yo and kind of acts like it.

Petracca was somewhat similar when he was drafted, and has even admitted so himself. He reportedly didn’t interview well with us at least. And let’s not forget that he reportedly said he wanted to be a “hall of famer” before he was drafted.

And for the first few years of his career he was laughed at for that, but he eventually grew up, and got super-fit and so-on, and eventually it all fell into place, and now he’ll almost certainly achieve his goal.

I’d much rather someone be honest than be false-modest, or just spew out the company line, and all the tired cliches, just basically a production line clone of everyone else. 🥱

I think being like Phillipou rubs many up the wrong way because they were stifled and taught to be all those latter things, so when they come across someone who’s just open and honest, and says and does what they want, they hate on them, out of jealousy, etc.

Because that guy/girl gets to be much more free, the way they wish they could be themselves.

Which they of course could be, if they were brave enough.

What a crock of s**t

It’s a team game and I like players who think that way

Nothing more or less to it than that

What a crock of s**t

It’s a team game and I like players who think that way

Nothing more or less to it than that
He can't be a team player and also be confident in his ability?
Why is there all of these individual awards for players if it is a team game?

Disliking someone for expressing that they want to be the best is petty

He can't be a team player and also be confident in his ability?
Why is there all of these individual awards for players if it is a team game?

Disliking someone for expressing that they want to be the best is petty

That and playing for the Saints is plenty enough reason for me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back