Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Moves well, clean, good decision maker and user and good character - ticks a lot of boxes on how we want to play.

We’ve really got a growing group of guys who move well through the midfield and kick well - Mackenzie, Ward and McDonald (plus Amon) plus Jai (bangs it long a bit).

Team has some work to do on the inside - which hopefully stephens, nash, Finn etc can help - but the days of our mids scrubbing kicks out of the middle and missing targets seem over.
We have Newk, Worps and Nash at a minimum to do the inside work. Add Stephens who is an inside/ outside mid as well. Were getting some solid depth now. Let's not forget Moore and Wingard will spend patches in there as well. The balance is quite good now we just need these guys to come through together and perform consistently week to week. Were not far away.

19ED0A63-73AD-458A-A097-3B7D72CA21DF.jpeg

Feb 2, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ward is our Luke Power I agree Mackenzie like Mundy so surely we nickname him Barra…

Last edited:

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
We have Newk, Worps and Nash at a minimum to do the inside work. Add Stephens who is an inside/ outside mid as well. Were getting some solid depth now. Let's not forget Moore and Wingard will spend patches in there as well. The balance is quite good now we just need these guys to come through together and perform consistently week to week. Were not far away.

There's also the height and bulk of Long and Hustwaite, a couple of monster sized kids who will became formidable if they can translate their attributes to AFL (Long looked good in his game last year already), and add some acceleration /agility.

The interview he did with Rendell and Cornes on SEN immediately after he was drafted(they announced pick 11 mid convo), they both swooned over how big he was, and how he was round 1 ready.

This is the interview where he also mentioned that he’s still been growing.

The interview he did with Rendell and Cornes on SEN immediately after he was drafted(they announced pick 11 mid convo), they both swooned over how big he was, and how he was round 1 ready.

This is the interview where he also mentioned that he’s still been growing.

Was a real bolter this season and still very young in the face so not surprised he's still growing. Reckon Day has put on a fair few CMs since being drafted too.

Also two notes from this interview, Cornes has the biggest man crush on Sam Mitchell and Matt Rendell's rambling is unlistenable.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Cam offers so much. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play early in the year. Maybe as a hff or wing like the way we used MacDonald and ward early. His skills are an absolute dream for this side. We will want the ball in his hands when going forward.

We have to be putting the ball in his hands as much as we can. I wouldn't mind him playing the same role as MacDonald, so maybe he has some space and time to deliver it forward. I imagine MacDonald will spend more time in the midfield too.

We have four midfielders now that we would love to have the ball as much as possible in Ward, Day, MacDonald and Mackenzie.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
We have to be putting the ball in his hands as much as we can. I wouldn't mind him playing the same role as MacDonald, so maybe he has some space and time to deliver it forward. I imagine MacDonald will spend more time in the midfield too.

We have four midfielders now that we would love to have the ball as much as possible in Ward, Day, MacDonald and Mackenzie.

I'd say Newcombe is our number 1, and he's not even on that list. We've got 5 plus the two ex Port boys and Moore now who know how to use the ball, but the one with the biggest hurt factor is still the Duke.

Back