World Cup 2022 FIFA World Cup - Group D - (France, Australia, Denmark, Tunisia)

Jul 25, 2019
Leeds United
Word for word:

You'd never see any at anti field comfuct pat The Boston Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox Revolution or New England Patriots, Carlton FC, Leeds United or Melbourne City FC resort to despicable and cowardly tactics

Silly and arrogant comment from me, admittedly?,but one done in a modern day context with bow my teams conduct themselves on field.

I just don't feel comfortable from some Aus/Socceroos fans here suggesting we bruise up Lionel Messi (which I interpreted it as, if I was wrong I sincerely apologise)

I also believe firmly we can believe we will beat Argie if our boys are mentally focused and disciplined enough and don't let the historical presence of Messi get into their heads.

I want Australian Football/esp the A League to thrive, that's my main agenda.

Aug 21, 2016
Oldham
So long as it falls within the rules, I have no problem with an early show of strength, as it were :p

That said, I'd rather not piss him off :D

I might be counterproductive if the Aussie mids pick up yellow cards early and can't touch him for the rest of the game.

The ref will be Szymon Marciniak. He doesn't seem particularly card happy. He reffed two games in the 2018 WC. Argentina v Iceland, no cards. Germany v Sweden, first yellow card at 52 mins, then Boateng got two yellows late in the game, both deserved. Getting my Martin Tyler on now :p

Tall poppy Syndrome

Dec 31, 2018
At the end of the World Cup is some kind of World XI named, with the best players position by position, subs, manager etc? Based on performances during the tournament?

If so, surely Harry Souter would be right in the mix?

It's officially confirmed, ladies and gentlemen. The Socceroos are officially a better team than Germany and Belgium.

Dump Truck

Aug 18, 2009
Tottenham Hotspur
It was like he was just hanging all the time after we scored to just do what he could to award the Danish an easy level up or win. Lucky we were disciplined enough and I reckon our guys know we are not getting anything favourable from ANY referee at this level of soccer.

I expect a BS penalty to Argentina to come if we are close to them.
Don't worry mate, ol' Harry Souttar is so incredible he can even block and deflect VAR decisions 😉

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Isn't the point that the analysts are experts? The qualification is usually that they have played the game at the standard of the game they are commenting on.

OK, thanks for clarifying and putting it beyond doubt.

Sexist pig.

Isn't the point that the analysts are experts? The qualification is usually that they have played the game at the standard of the game they are commenting on.
Bruce McAvaney never played AFL (or any sport really). Murray Walker never drove a race car. John Motson never played football.

The list goes on. Your doubling down on an incredibly stupid (and dare I say it sexist) comment needs to stop.

She played at the highest level for women. Which if they are getting beaten by a local 15 yo boys team can't be that high. Bosnic said the same at the time.

Your sexism really needs to stop, you cry about this at every opportunity.

craigos

Sep 2, 2014
Liverpool
If you asked me who I would rather play prior to the world cup between Denmark and Argentina I would say Argentina 100%. They've had some horrific results mixed in with some good. They're as consistent as AFL rules.

Northalives

Jun 12, 2005
Australia
PORT ADELAIDE

South American Minnow Nation Argentina Scrape Through To Face Football Powerhouses Australia.​

In an underdog story that everyone except the Americans and the English can get around, the tiny footballing nation of Argentina lives to fight another day.

This comes after Argentina managed to scrape a win against Poland this morning, taking them out of their group and into a do or die clash against titans of World Football, Australia.

The 2-0 victory secured Argentina’s spot in the Round of 16 at the Qatar World Cup, which has been hailed as an incredible achievement for the nation of 45 million people.

They now face an ominous looking Socceroos team, who comfortably dusted world number 10 ranked Denmark, in one of the most comprehensive displays of football ever seen.

Finished off by a brilliant goal from Matt Leckie who has undoubtedly been one of the many stars for the Australian team, the Socceroos easily progressed to the next stage without having to check the result from the French and Tunisian game once.

That victory, which was never in doubt, followed the huge win over Tunisa, with only an extremely unlucky loss against France costing the Socceroos from taking home the maximum 9 points from the group stage.

It’s believed the Argentines will now look to play a compressed game in the Round of 16 and try and grab a lucky goal off a counter attack through some of their lesser known stars like Lionel Messi.

The Socceroos are now set to face the United States or the Netherlands in the Quarter Finals.

If it is indeed the Americans we face, it’s believed we will just title the game the Soccer Cup and give them the result in line with our diplomatic positions on pretty much everything. (Betoota Advocate 2/12/22)

South American Minnow Nation Argentina Scrape Through To Face Football Powerhouses Australia.​

In an underdog story that everyone except the Americans and the English can get around, the tiny footballing nation of Argentina lives to fight another day.

This comes after Argentina managed to scrape a win against Poland this morning, taking them out of their group and into a do or die clash against titans of World Football, Australia.

The 2-0 victory secured Argentina’s spot in the Round of 16 at the Qatar World Cup, which has been hailed as an incredible achievement for the nation of 45 million people.

They now face an ominous looking Socceroos team, who comfortably dusted world number 10 ranked Denmark, in one of the most comprehensive displays of football ever seen.

Finished off by a brilliant goal from Matt Leckie who has undoubtedly been one of the many stars for the Australian team, the Socceroos easily progressed to the next stage without having to check the result from the French and Tunisian game once.

That victory, which was never in doubt, followed the huge win over Tunisa, with only an extremely unlucky loss against France costing the Socceroos from taking home the maximum 9 points from the group stage.

It’s believed the Argentines will now look to play a compressed game in the Round of 16 and try and grab a lucky goal off a counter attack through some of their lesser known stars like Lionel Messi.

The Socceroos are now set to face the United States or the Netherlands in the Quarter Finals.

If it is indeed the Americans we face, it’s believed we will just title the game the Soccer Cup and give them the result in line with our diplomatic positions on pretty much everything. (Betoota Advocate 2/12/22)

Why have you copy pasted an entire satire article?

Fabab

May 2, 2018

Garbage.

A. You cannot copy and paste a link to the Betoota Advocate
B. It's satire! A laugh maybe?
C. Should have added an addendum: "Precious people, do not view!".

Why can't you post a link to Betoota?

Northalives

Jun 12, 2005
Australia
PORT ADELAIDE
It's satire from a place called the Betoota Advocate. Betoota is in the middle of nowhere in outback Australia and some smarty's have put together a satirical "newspaper/blog" in the true traditions of Australian satire.

Here's some-more headlines from the Lads at the Betoota:

Armchair Expert To Dip Into His U/10s Soccer Career To Scream Strategic Advice At Socceroos (followed by a "story")
Matthew Guy Snaps His Sim Card In Half After Peter Dutton Calls To Offer Help On The Campaign (followed by a "story")
Albanese Tells Italian PM She Hasn’t Had Gelato Until She’s Been To Bar Italia In Leichhardt (followed by a "story")
Mandatory Military Service Once Again Gets Brought Up By Old campaigners Who Are In The Clear (followed by a "story" about Tony Abbott's proposal.)
Greens Declare New Candidates Must Only Date People Who Ride Environmentally Friendly E-Scooters (followed by a "story")

Northalives

Jun 12, 2005
Australia
PORT ADELAIDE
Why can't you post a link to Betoota?
They don't allow it somehow. I've tried in the past but no luck. Maybe it's just me doing something wrong - I'm not real good with this internet/computer thingy.

I didn't intend to offend anyone. It was just a bit of fun and I hoped people would take it as such. Sorry if I offended.

Northalives

Jun 12, 2005
Australia
PORT ADELAIDE
Why does it matter?
You know Dirty old mate, I'm an Australian and I grew up in a country that was able to and did laugh at itself - it kept us well grounded and kept us from being jumped up drongos.

Some people may be interested to learn that in 1975, a moustachioed transvestite boxer who rode around on a Harley introduced colour TV to Australian audiences.

In 1980, there was a comedy series called Home Sweet Home staring John Bluthal (plays Frank Pickle in the Vicar Of Dibley) who plays an Italian Taxi Driver (old country accent and all) in Sydney and it was a scream! Bluthal was world renowned and he was born in Australia.

There was Kingswood Country and the Mavis Bramston Show, The Naked Vicar ..... bloody hell, the rest of the world is still not ready for In Melbourne Tonight with Graham Kennedy which debuted in 1957: Jesus Christ, we had Norman Gunston!!! More recent stuff like the Gilles Report and Acropolis Now.

Why does it matter?

Because it's a huge wall of text that people could have read through a link if he posted it. It takes up a huge chunk of the page for no reason. In fact think BF tends to frown on entire articles being pasted.

Northalives

Jun 12, 2005
Australia
PORT ADELAIDE
Because it's a huge wall of text that people could have read through a link if he posted it. It takes up a huge chunk of the page for no reason.
Are you the protector of column inches for Big Footy are you? Bloody hell, if the length of a post affetcs you so badly, I'd hate to think what your attention span is like.

Hey!! Maybe it's because I offended your sensibilities somehow and you are just itching to have a crack. Doesn't really matter; I don't give a f**k.