World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup (Round of 16) - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember all the discussions about it at the time, for all the non football people it was “he dived”
For those of us who knew the game, it was “WTF was Neil thinking?”

Both statements “he dived” and “WTF was Neill thinking?” are 100% correct for me.

Neill made a massive error (his first and most unfortunate in a tournament where he was our best player) but Grosso also dived, no question.

Well done to the bloke that called Messi s**t 10 sec before he scored.
No
GIF by Bradford City AFC

Another reason why football will always face problems in Australia:

On the day when tens of thousands of people were watching a football match live at 5am in the middle of cities, which has never happened for any other sport, the front page in Australia’s sporting capital was - round one AFL fixtures in 4 months time. Plus a bit of cricket and basketball on the side. Obviously planned and timed by the AFL and Herald Sun to steal the Socceroos thunder.

No mention of the World Cup. There are some in the media and other sporting fraternity who would be popping champagne on the Socceroos loss, so they can bury them in public consciousness for another 12 years hopefully.

The Herald Sun‘s influence is practically irrelevant these days.

Most people - correctly - view them as a slimy tabloid.

They literally campaigned for Morrison and the LNP and against Andrews and the ALP in the federal and state elections this year.

Vast majority saw right through their pathetic antics.

The Socceroos and Football in this country will be able to thrive without caring what that scummy paper has to say.

Avenged for what? What did England do to him?

Nothing, except the Pommies slandering and abusing him for decades for that Hand of God goal.

Guess you had to be old enough to remember the aftermath (which I guess you were not born or at least young enough to remember)

Admittedly that happened around or close enough to the Falklands war between England and Argie,

You ask any hard core England fan (least over 40 Years of age) and they would still harbour a long standing grudge against GOAT Maradona and Argentina.

Nothing, except the Pommies slandering and abusing him for decades for that Hand of God goal.

Guess you had to be old enough to remember the aftermath (which I guess you were not born or at least young enough to remember)

Admittedly that happened around or close enough to the Falklands war between England and Argie,

You ask any hard core England fan (least over 40 Years of age) and they would still harbour a long standing grudge against GOAT Maradona and Argentina.

I don't know if him cheating to score a goal is something that needs to be 'avenged' in his favour.

Netherlands don't win anything

Not a consistent national team, but they've made three finals. For a country of 17m playing the most popular sport in the world, they do extremely well and have had some of the greatest players in the history of the game - Cruyff and Van Baston just to name two. Every other WC winner has easily more than twice the population of the Dutch (not counting Uruguay who won theirs very early in the comp history.

Like Spain in 2010, they were one of the countries with pedigree that hadn't won one. And they still have pedigree. No doubt out of the 14 teams remaining that haven't won one, the Dutch are historically the best performing nation. Croatia are the other threat coming from the non-winners for this WC. Can't see Japan, Sth Korea, Senegal, Ghana, Switzerland, Poland or Morrocco going all the way.

Netherlands, then likely Brazil, then one of France/England/Spain/Portugal to win it. I don’t like their chances but if they do win it they’ll have earned it.
Brazil and France are both far more likely than the Dutch.

No more Australia means we just look for the most shithousery we can imo :p

LET'S GO SENEGAL WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Australian side is full of tough, very committed professional players but when we get to high stakes games where the opposition is also tough, committed and professional and oozes class, something we don't posses, then it is always very probable that we'll get done.

I am proud of the performances that Australia put in and that they didn't roll over.

I hope that this big boost to soccer's profile translates into more youngsters playing the sport but critically, older, experienced people like your Viduka's and Cahill's and others as well as those who taught them, if they are still capable, to be an integral part of teaching the up and comers and the kiddies, not the "make doe academies" run by ex-players who have done a 10 week, at best, "personal trainers" course and who teach kiddies how to do step overs and that's about it. The Community Courses and Advanced Courses run by Football Australia’s Football under their "Development Plan" aren't much chop either.

We need an established pathway for young boys, and girls, but we are focussing on boys at the moment, we need a clear, well defined pathway for these kids to be able to follow and become professionals in every sense of the word.

The day that ethnic names from clubs were dropped so "Australianism" could by the focus, was good in a sense but what then? The old school professionals who came to Australia in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and even later, were told to take a back seat because of their "ethnicity" in order to try and make once "ethnic" clubs, more diverse in keeping with our multiculturalism. These "foreigners" possessed the knowledge of generations of soccer expertise but it was just left to rot and that is criminal.

There was a time when our young underage International sides were as good as any on the planet but it's what came afterwards that halted their progress. Quite a few went overseas and made names for themselves and became successful but a whole lot of them just faded from view. Now, we have gone the other way where we have a proper National Competition but s**t juniors who get taught the same, generic way of doing things and trust me, the scope of what they are taught is limited and in many cases, just plain wrong. They are not drilled in ALL the skills and the theory behind defending, attacking, jockeying, how to fall, how to head the ball, how to bring the ball down, how to tackle etc etc ...... Jesus Christ, they aren't even taught the correct order or method of stretching!

There must be a far, far greater connection between A-League clubs and the various State based Associations AND local clubs and the funding for this MUST be from the Australian FA - A-league clubs, State Associations and local clubs do not have the money for such initiatives. Local clubs in SA have resorted to charging parents an arm and a leg for their children being part of their club and this is just a revenue raising excercise for the club in general. That's what it's like in SA and I dare say in other States as well.

We can't let a great opportunity like this go and what we need to do, is to put self appointed experts like Craig Foster back into their boxes because he and some others have done enormous damage to Association Football in this country through their doctrine of individual players ruling the roost and not coaches. The irony is that Foster reckons that it's the tactics the coaches employ that win or lose matches. Well let me tell Foster something, it wouldn't have mattered if Pep Guardiola was coaching Australia this morning or what kind of tactics/formation we employed, we still wouldn't get within cooee of Argentina, England, Portugal, Brazil etc at this stage of a World Cup with the players we have.

I am proud of the players that represented us in this World Cup and all the coaches and support staff - they honoured our country.

Matched the 2006 squad and that was a good squad. Well done lads
Considering that the 2006 squad was more skillful and talented than the 2022 version, the fact they made it to the round of 16 is all the more impressive.

The Australian side is full of tough, very committed professional players but when we get to high stakes games where the opposition is also tough, committed and professional and oozes class, something we don't posses, then it is always very probable that we'll get done.

I am proud of the performances that Australia put in and that they didn't roll over.

I hope that this big boost to soccer's profile translates into more youngsters playing the sport but critically, older, experienced people like your Viduka's and Cahill's and others as well as those who taught them, if they are still capable, to be an integral part of teaching the up and comers and the kiddies, not the "make doe academies" run by ex-players who have done a 10 week, at best, "personal trainers" course and who teach kiddies how to do step overs and that's about it. The Community Courses and Advanced Courses run by Football Australia’s Football under their "Development Plan" aren't much chop either.

We need an established pathway for young boys, and girls, but we are focussing on boys at the moment, we need a clear, well defined pathway for these kids to be able to follow and become professionals in every sense of the word.

The day that ethnic names from clubs were dropped so "Australianism" could by the focus, was good in a sense but what then? The old school professionals who came to Australia in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and even later, were told to take a back seat because of their "ethnicity" in order to try and make once "ethnic" clubs, more diverse in keeping with our multiculturalism. These "foreigners" possessed the knowledge of generations of soccer expertise but it was just left to rot and that is criminal.

There was a time when our young underage International sides were as good as any on the planet but it's what came afterwards that halted their progress. Quite a few went overseas and made names for themselves and became successful but a whole lot of them just faded from view. Now, we have gone the other way where we have a proper National Competition but s**t juniors who get taught the same, generic way of doing things and trust me, the scope of what they are taught is limited and in many cases, just plain wrong. They are not drilled in ALL the skills and the theory behind defending, attacking, jockeying, how to fall, how to head the ball, how to bring the ball down, how to tackle etc etc ...... Jesus Christ, they aren't even taught the correct order or method of stretching!

There must be a far, far greater connection between A-League clubs and the various State based Associations AND local clubs and the funding for this MUST be from the Australian FA - A-league clubs, State Associations and local clubs do not have the money for such initiatives. Local clubs in SA have resorted to charging parents an arm and a leg for their children being part of their club and this is just a revenue raising excercise for the club in general. That's what it's like in SA and I dare say in other States as well.

We can't let a great opportunity like this go and what we need to do, is to put self appointed experts like Craig Foster back into their boxes because he and some others have done enormous damage to Association Football in this country through their doctrine of individual players ruling the roost and not coaches. The irony is that Foster reckons that it's the tactics the coaches employ that win or lose matches. Well let me tell Foster something, it wouldn't have mattered if Pep Guardiola was coaching Australia this morning or what kind of tactics/formation we employed, we still wouldn't get within cooee of Argentina, England, Portugal, Brazil etc at this stage of a World Cup with the players we have.

I am proud of the players that represented us in this World Cup and all the coaches and support staff - they honoured our country.

There's a danger that this team getting to the 2nd round and running Argentina close disguises that Australia is not producing top level soccer players any more.

I agree, it comes from the top. The FFA promotes certain tactics across all state training development programs. In Europe, the youngsters are more likely to encounter a variety of tactics, and drilled in all the skills and the theory you mention. In my experience young players in Europe are more likely to experience a faster paced and more physical style than here.

Both statements “he dived” and “WTF was Neill thinking?” are 100% correct for me.

Neill made a massive error (his first and most unfortunate in a tournament where he was our best player) but Grosso also dived, no question.

Neill dived as well. It's not like he dived in to tackle the ball however, but basically flopped onto the deck instead of keeping his feet. While Grosso hammed it up a bit, was the correct decision at the time. Would having VAR as an option overturn the decision today? Nope, would still stay a penalty.

Blamed Neill when he gave away the foul then, blame Neill 16 years later.

Behich with that silly throw in confrontation then needless foul. Messi could sniff it. Absolutely no need for that
Who was the Australian LB who passed the ball back to the keeper with 2 Argentinian attackers around Ryan?
I've just seen the footage. That was cringeworthy. Awful. The keeper was compromised by that and had no chance.

Now that the socceroos are out I can treat this sport with mild contempt again. I've grown up playing AFL, Cricket and Rugby Union and here are some things I cannot stand about soccer:

1. The goal is all about the *en goal-scorer. They run and the team must chase them as they shadow box the corner flag, do a spectacular dive or dance like a fruitcake. In the other sports, you immediately turn around and celebrate directly with your team.

2. Lack of post-match handshake ritual. Particularly in Union and League, you form single file and ensure you shake hands with every single opposition member. I noticed the Argentinians mostly went into their own song and dance, Messi didn't bother to approach any of the Aussie players they had to go to him.

3. More wanky selfishness - ie Ronaldo going on about getting head contact with the ball when he's already scored a million international goals.

4. Pathetic diving.

Now that the socceroos are out I can treat this sport with mild contempt again. I've grown up playing AFL, Cricket and Rugby Union and here are some things I cannot stand about soccer:

1. The goal is all about the *en goal-scorer. They run and the team must chase them as they shadow box the corner flag, do a spectacular dive or dance like a fruitcake. In the other sports, you immediately turn around and celebrate directly with your team.

2. Lack of post-match handshake ritual. Particularly in Union and League, you form single file and ensure you shake hands with every single opposition member. I noticed the Argentinians mostly went into their own song and dance, Messi didn't bother to approach any of the Aussie players they had to go to him.

3. More wanky selfishness - ie Ronaldo going on about getting head contact with the ball when he's already scored a million international goals.

4. Pathetic diving.

What's your point?

There's a danger that this team getting to the 2nd round and running Argentina close disguises that Australia is not producing top level soccer players any more.

I agree, it comes from the top. The FFA promotes certain tactics across all state training development programs. In Europe, the youngsters are more likely to encounter a variety of tactics, and drilled in all the skills and the theory you mention. In my experience young players in Europe are more likely to experience a faster paced and more physical style than here.
Yep, that's my experience as well in Europe and this used to be the case in Australia when "new Australians" were still the ones who were at the center of "wog" ball. Then they got chucked out with the bath water and a whole lot of pretentious gits took over and we are where we are.

We need to build on the enthusiasm and excitement created by the current Australian side and not just rest on our laurels, as you suggest, because the truth is, our laurels have been burnt to a cinder, as you also suggest. Good onya :thumbsu:

4. Pathetic diving.
Soccer is a world sport. AFL, Cricket and Rugby isn't.
In a world sport you are dealing with people from every country. Not all of them are nice and polite.

4. Pathetic diving.

1. How is this different to AFL or any other sports? You think there’s AFL players that don’t lap it up with the crowd after a goal or a rugby player after a try? Give me a break.

2. The players did shake hands. The Argentine players celebrated and went to their fans to acknowledge them and then shook hands and chatted to our players.

PS League and Union are embarrassing, second rate sports. Especially league. Run 5-10 metres, get tackled by 1-5 neanderthals, rinse and repeat. Yawn. Soccer with its flaws (diving, lopsided leagues etc) is lightyears better than those two jokes of a sport.

3 and 4. All fans of the sport agree that the diving and rolling on the ground is a blight on the sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back