Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Wingard is the wild card. If he completes a full pre season it'll likely translate into two extra wins
IMO there's 4-5 guys that if they have better seasons than the one gone by we could very well end up with a better W/L record. I'm talking guys about like Worpel (form / injury), Wingard (form / injury), DGB (development), Day (development / injury) and Reeves (development / injury). If all these guys can stay on the park and lift their performance to the levels we know / hope they can then I truly believe that we'll look like a much more balanced team. It might not show up in the W/L column but I reckon the game day stats for things like clearances where we got embarrassed oh so many times will be a thing of the past as games get pumped into our baby Hawks.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I'd say Newcombe is our number 1, and he's not even on that list. We've got 5 plus the two ex Port boys and Moore now who know how to use the ball, but the one with the biggest hurt factor is still the Duke.

I don't think Newcombe is a better kick than those four, he certainly has the most penetrating kick of the bunch though.

Either way we have several players now that are quality to elite users.

Fetnarr

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think Newcombe is a better kick than those four, he certainly has the most penetrating kick of the bunch though.

Agree that he’s not the most accurate kick but what I love about Duke is when he kicks those long penetrating kicks deep into the f50 he at least looks to put it to the forwards advantage. I reckon Dukes output goes up another notch this season despite getting more attention.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks

I think his kicking is more damaging, he hits up targets inside 50 from a long way out with regularity.

We looked to get the ball in his hands as often as possible last year, particularly towards the end of the season.

The reason for that is his run, carry and ball use.

Nuke makes things happen.

Sam mentioned tonight on the members forum that McKenzie has far greater physical attributes than himself when he was drafted, in reference to a comparison of Frenchy being like a young Sam.
Sam also added that Frenchy is currently working on developing a left foot as he can’t kick on it at all.

Feb 2, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sam mentioned tonight on the members forum that McKenzie has far greater physical attributes than himself when he was drafted, in reference to a comparison of Frenchy being like a young Sam.
Sam also added that Frenchy is currently working on developing a left foot as he can’t kick on it at all.
Maybe his nickname should be suckers then?

Who would have thought there'd be a difference between a guy taken at pick 7, and someone taken 30+ in the rookie draft :)

I guess the shows look for anything in the off season!

Titch3Votes0MooreAA

"Burgoyne to put them in front. He doesn't miss."
Apr 15, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW, Man Utd
This may seem like an odd place to find Mackenzie's speed in action, but the Western Bulldogs shared a video on their Instagram page of their players' reactions to their new teammate's highlights. The highlight is a 1-2 play between Charlie Clarke and what appears to be Cam Mackenzie. In the highlight, we can see Mackenzie's concentration and high work rate as he advances from half-back to meet Clarke near the centre of the field. From there, Clarke gives Mackenzie the ball, and Mackenzie blitzes straight through the middle past his opponents before delivering a bit of an awkward kick down to full-forward as he had an opponent close in on him at half-forward. Even though it's not much, it exemplifies what Mackenzie will bring to the table and what we've been lacking.

He's in the first clip with Clarke.

Who would have thought there'd be a difference between a guy taken at pick 7, and someone taken 30+ in the rookie draft :)

I guess the shows look for anything in the off season!
Who was taken 30 in the rookie draft?

This may seem like an odd place to find Mackenzie's speed in action, but the Western Bulldogs shared a video on their Instagram page of their players' reactions to their new teammate's highlights. The highlight is a 1-2 play between Charlie Clarke and what appears to be Cam Mackenzie. In the highlight, we can see Mackenzie's concentration and high work rate as he advances from half-back to meet Clarke near the centre of the field. From there, Clarke gives Mackenzie the ball, and Mackenzie blitzes straight through the middle past his opponents before delivering a bit of an awkward kick down to full-forward as he had an opponent close in on him at half-forward. Even though it's not much, it exemplifies what Mackenzie will bring to the table and what we've been lacking.

He's in the first clip with Clarke.

I think the point of the clip is the hard running Clarke did to keep going and eventually take the mark in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Accipiter

Senior List
Feb 1, 2021
Qld / WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
IMO there's 4-5 guys that if they have better seasons than the one gone by we could very well end up with a better W/L record. I'm talking guys about like Worpel (form / injury), Wingard (form / injury), DGB (development), Day (development / injury) and Reeves (development / injury). If all these guys can stay on the park and lift their performance to the levels we know / hope they can then I truly believe that we'll look like a much more balanced team. It might not show up in the W/L column but I reckon the game day stats for things like clearances where we got embarrassed oh so many times will be a thing of the past as games get pumped into our baby Hawks.
Also our coaching staff will have a year under their belts and be better for the run.

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No left foot hey.

Is he fast enough? Will he put his head over it?

We'll find out soon enough. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
No left foot hey.

Is he fast enough? Will he put his head over it?

We'll find out soon enough. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

He's more than fast enough with his noggin and legs. Nothing to indicate he's not going to a health hazard to himself for a year or two before his frame is up to AFL level bash and crash.

I agree though, we'll find out. But a 2.9 20m, super fast ball distribution to the right player at junior level etc. bodes really, really well for him.

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's more than fast enough with his noggin and legs. Nothing to indicate he's not going to a health hazard to himself for a year or two before his frame is up to AFL level bash and crash.

I agree though, we'll find out. But a 2.9 20m, super fast ball distribution to the right player at junior level etc. bodes really, really well for him.
Did he do the time trial?
Do you know how he has tested at 2km?

We lost one Beaumaris lad(Gunston) and landed another.

D3C1C7E0-5767-4E16-8FD0-7DE56C3FCD0F.jpeg

Back