briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Caught up on some div 2 u16 footy from this year, a few I have liked and I will have to add to my lists for 2024 draft

Caleb Nancarrow - GCS A - seems like a quick tall, played Ruck and was ok in that position, took some good contested marks up forward, has the raw potential to go top 10 or thereabouts depending on development

Jai Murray - GCS A - another quality player from GCS A which seemed the best team in div 2 imo, has some great tools to his game, liked what I saw could be a top 20 talent?

Aiden O'Connor - Tas - flanker/mid, seemed the most skilful Tassie player, could sneak into the top 20, but being a Tassie kid might go later

Lenny Douglas - Tas - I liked how he played midfield, seems to have a good kick and seems to make good decisions, wait and see with this 1

Tom Gillet - Bris A - agile tall, moves well and could develop into a player, at this stage outside the top 20 for me

Daniel Annable - Bris A - another mid I liked for Brisbane, see how he develops

Didn't see many options for GWS that stood out at this stage, will have to watch more games.
Annabel was U15, playing as a bottom age in U16’s.

At this stage, it’s between Gillet and Ryan Gilder for our best academy prospect for 2024 (that’s if Gilder stays with football).

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Is there a draft prospect called Wyatt Greenaway?
Yes.

My short list of Lions academy kids to keep an eye on.

FCFE887C-4029-4822-9B18-1CFC56A58E1F.png

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Annabel was U15, playing as a bottom age in U16’s.

At this stage, it’s between Gillet and Ryan Gilder for our best academy prospect for 2024 (that’s if Gilder stays with football).

I had a few other names written down for me to keep a watch on and 1 of them was Ryan Gilder, Raphael Geesu was another, good pressure forw, for Tas I also liked the look of Jude Butler, Jaxon Thorpe (good mark for a small forw) and Harry Elmer(quick def), for GCS another 1 I liked was Mason Field.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
As an aside Davo-27, when you think someone's been in the AFL for a long time and it turns out you've just been tracking that player and more for at least 2-3 years before drafting.
It feels like that sometimes, I remember liking JUH when he played at the GWV Rebels as a 15/16 yr old, then Oakleigh, then going pick 1 and now WB in the AFL, most of the young AFL stars you've seen them play a lot more than most, it feels like they have been around forever, when in reality they are just starting their careers.

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
A lot of players get compared to Heeney year after year.

Duursma is the closest I've seen to him though so far.

Nick Watson is the most fascinating watch for me next year. This is like Caleb Daniel all over again, but if Caleb had some genuinely generation physical testing attributes.

Given what we have seen in the APS/NAB League over the last year and then the smattering of games over Covid, I'm genuinely of the belief Watson should be rated as the #1 player at the moment (Yes, ahead of Reid), he won't be though for obvious reasons.

He genuinely took the piss with the likes of Ashcroft and McKenzie at times for Caulfield.

Will a club take him in the top 5, or will someone get one of the biggest bargains of the last decade and get him around the first 10-12?

I can't think of a player in the last 32 years of watching the draft intently with his blend of forward craft/ability/trickery and sheer explosive pace as well as what will end up being some of the best agility numbers we will test next year. If anything his height means he's even more agile. No player I've seen can turn on a dime and change direction as quickly as Watson can. He's tough, driven and a genuine pest. Hence the Milne comparisons. The tip rat didn't have close to the physical attributes Watson does though.

He's like a mixture of Stephen Milne and Brent Harvey if wrapped up in a more explosive and agile physical version of Charlie Cameron.

I think he kicks 40+ goals next year in the NAB League from limited games due to Caulfield requirements.

With the added space and sling shot nature of AFL football, I really struggle to think of even 2 or 3 AFL small defenders that would be capable of defending him in open space.

He's every bit as good as Rankine was at the same age imo.
I don't agree that he should be #1, but I do agree with a couple of your points. IMO if he is to be a top 10 pick he needs to kick 40+ goals. Sheezel snagged 36 in the NAB league but he's a lot bigger and has more upside/flexibility in his game. Unfortunately, I can't see Watson playing midfield at AFL level, he's just too small. However, he's bloody tough and is an excitement machine. Considering the 2023 draft is so strong at this stage I have him around the 11-16 mark, still well inside Rnd 1. This doesn't mean he's no good, it just means I think there will be better options before him. TBH I reckon every kid just wants to get drafted and they don't care what number they are selected.

But having said the above, anyone that says Watson isn't exciting to watch is full of s**t.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
It feels like that sometimes, I remember liking JUH when he played at the GWV Rebels as a 15/16 yr old, then Oakleigh, then going pick 1 and now WB in the AFL, most of the young AFL stars you've seen them play a lot more than most, it feels like they have been around forever, when in reality they are just starting their careers.

Very much so.

Also, take Matt Rowell for instance.
He made his league debut in 2020 yet he's been in the mind of some since 2012,

Gary Ablett Jr made his league debut in 2002 but was on Geelong recruiters' minds as far back as 1996 while Trent Cotchin hit the radar of recruiters in 2001.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very much so.

Also, take Matt Rowell for instance.
He made his league debut in 2020 yet he's been in the mind of some since 2012,

Gary Ablett Jr made his league debut in 2002 but was on Geelong recruiters' minds as far back as 1996 while Trent Cotchin hit the radar of recruiters in 2001.
Isn't there a thread calling Touk Miller a future Brownlow medallist from 2009?

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Isn't there a thread calling Touk Miller a future Brownlow medallist from 2009?

It's on here somewhere.

Aucklander started it in 2008.

Not sure anyone's game/brave enough to be this ballsy.

I'm not.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

On this, while Ugle-Hagan may be entering his 3rd league season, overall, it could be anywhere from 6 to 15th season in his life.

Meanwhile, next season could be No. 13 for some of the male draftees.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Well done Davo-27 This is a fair effort to name 50. What i love about next years crop is there are so may variants in player positions and size. From what I've witnessed their attributes are off the charts. We've seen 59 national draft selections in 2022. In 2023 we could be back in the 70's for the number of selections. Delean and Watson will be an interesting battle to see who gets selected first. Both similar players with x factor.
With the 59 kids drafted in the ND, I usually count ND, NGA and rookies from the u18s so it was closer to 70-odd taken which is normal intake imo.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
With the 59 kids drafted in the ND, I usually count ND, NGA and rookies from the u18s so it was closer to 70-odd taken which is normal intake imo.
Except pre covid drafts were 70+ and fewer recycled players in the rookie draft as well.

So the previous numbers were closer to one hundred 18 year olds.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Except pre covid drafts were 70+ and fewer recycled players in the rookie draft as well.

Wonder how many first time listings there have been since the 1986 VFL Draft.

You forget that around 15 players are taken out in the mid-season draft.

Back