Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello Peeps

I had this passive aggressive rant about bringing this thread back despite not liking but I think I've found a compromise. This thread is for bringing the media thread back BUT mainly for miscellaneous articles and discussion (Dale147 if you could keep being your awesome self and posting articles in relevant threads where you think appropriate while posting other Freo stuff in here that would be great).

The other / better way of doing it relies on me not being lazy, and unfortunately I am nothing if not lazy. What all the mods will try and do is threadmark everytime an article is posted, wherever it is posted (Van_Dyke and Tonga Bob) so everyone can easily find any article posted in a thread.

Thanks all

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the best place to post this but we have a new sports editor for the west

Screenshot_20221201_170644_Twitter.jpg

I clicked on his profile to see what kind of stuff hes tweeted in the past, and in case anyone has any questions about where Jakeb's allegiances lie

A search on his profile for tweets about the eagles yields these, amongst many many many other results:

Screenshot_20221201_164945_Twitter.jpg

A search on his profile for tweets about the dockers yields exactly 2 results:

Screenshot_20221201_170110_Twitter.jpg

Good to see we're gonna continue to get top shelf unbiased journalism from the west

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but we have a new sports editor for the west

View attachment 1565712

I clicked on his profile to see what kind of stuff hes tweeted in the past, and in case anyone has any questions about where Jakeb's allegiances lie

A search on his profile for tweets about the eagles yields these, amongst many many many other results:

View attachment 1565714

View attachment 1565713

Good to see we're gonna continue to get top shelf unbiased journalism from the west
Was going to follow, and see how long until I got blocked when calling out unbiased journalism.

Felt ill and couldn’t go through with it.

Looks like a tabloid journo with some of the headlines. The west is officially dead

Come on.
The fine journalists working in the media aren't biased. Didn't anyone read the managing director of the ABC David Anderson's evidence to the senate this week? When ABC Breakfast presenter Patricia Karvelas tweeted on election night that Linda Burney was a legend, according to Mr Anderson that didn't mean she was biased towards Linda Burney. So applying the Anderson test, I am sure this twat isn't biased towards the eagles either. Nothing to see here.

Was going to follow, and see how long until I got blocked when calling out unbiased journalism.

Felt ill and couldn’t go through with it.

Looks like a tabloid journo with some of the headlines. The west is officially dead
Urrgh. I'm feeling ill too.

We get an Eagles supporter who can't even spell cant (sic) properly, and lose a seasoned analytical journo in Mark Duffield who despite being a Freo man critiqued both WA teams without fear or favour.

In Duff's last podcast with Quartermain he said "what goes around comes around". Not sure what he was referring to but it sounded like he was pushed out. Anyone know the reason for his abrupt departure from the West?

View attachment 1565712

View attachment 1565714

View attachment 1565713

How old is this guy?

Sounds like a teenager in those tweets.

If you're a journalist with integrity, it wouldn't matter which team you support. See Ryan Daniels. There is no way you could tell from his reporting which AFL team he supports.
Agree. Duffield was a Freo supporter but he never held back on critical analysis of Freo. And Daniels is a gem. He recently responded to an email of mine sent during season, apologising for belated reply and saying “Things didn’t end perfectly (for Freo), but what a future ahead! Good luck for 2023.”

I've noticed in recent years media types have been less shy about their allegiances and I think it's a good thing. As said above who you support matters little if you're doing a good job.

I wouldn't respect Hagdorn any mor than I do if he was a Freo supporter and did the same thing he does but in reverse. Or Gossage or Readings or any of the other Eagle bootlickers. I'd still think they were garbage and still not pay attention, they'd just be less annoying because they weren't going at my team all the time. What makes both those blokes even worse is how they say they support StKilda (Gossage) or noone (Hagdorn) or Melbourne (Readings) when that's clearly more bulldust. Not only are they dishonest, they're also spineless.

It's been good to have media types declare their teams more openly. When they then discuss them it's somehow better to digest, maybe because they come across as well informed fans rather than self-proclaimed oracles of all things right and proper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bloody greenies
Despite the unsupported and therefore arrogant assumption that "most people agree" Pettit's team position is so lazy and lacking in any responsibility or accountability and makes them easy to dismiss. What's the alternative?

I'm also still yet to hear any cogent reasoning of what sacking Woodside would achieve? It just so clearly stunt politics.

Despite the unsupported and therefore arrogant assumption that "most people agree" Pettit's team position is so lazy and lacking in any responsibility or accountability and makes them easy to dismiss. What's the alternative?

I'm also still yet to hear any cogent reasoning of what sacking Woodside would achieve? It just so clearly stunt politics.
Exactly right.

I’m reminded of this.

1670482150306.jpeg

Richard Goyder is the Chairman of the AFL, does he not talk to his neighbours and bozo’s at the local coffee dispensary ?. Is he not listening to the vibe on the street in relation to AFL issues ?.

I know as Chairman, some would say that he is just coordinating decisions made by the board, but he has a voice. He should be speaking loudly, saying that the AFL is now fiscally driven, but what is happening in our second largest state ( footy supporters ) ?.

He needs to reinforce the point, you perform and you’ll be thought of more favourably in relation to fixturing. With this formula, Freo gets rewarded over teams like Carlton & Bullies, ....... yeah I know pigs’ll fly.

Richard Goyder at the AFL appears to a be a yes man, not a driver.

He needs to reinforce the point, you perform and you’ll be thought of more favourably in relation to fixturing. With this formula, Freo gets rewarded over teams like Carlton & Bullies, ....... yeah I know pigs’ll fly.

In their eyes they are rewarding clubs who perform.

Clubs that have the highest viewership and thus, bring in the most dollars to the AFL coffers.

It sucks but it ain't going to change.

Urrgh. I'm feeling ill too.

We get an Eagles supporter who can't even spell cant (sic) properly, and lose a seasoned analytical journo in Mark Duffield who despite being a Freo man critiqued both WA teams without fear or favour.

In Duff's last podcast with Quartermain he said "what goes around comes around". Not sure what he was referring to but it sounded like he was pushed out. Anyone know the reason for his abrupt departure from the West?
Well, he's doing SEN now so maybe a pile of dosh came a knocking (sic :p)

In their eyes they are rewarding clubs who perform.

Clubs that have the highest viewership and thus, bring in the most dollars to the AFL coffers.

It sucks but it ain't going to change.
That was what I was alluding to. Dollars versus team performance.

I was also alluding to WA having a big tv audience for AFL. Put an Eagles / Dockers game on tv in WA, and there are good advertising dollars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back