Fixture AFL Season 2023 Full Fixture

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
I’m actually fine with us playing Geelong down there, they deserve to play all games at home if they choose but we should absolutely be demanding from the AFL that we return the favour and play them at Marvel to lock out their fans.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The AFL taking the piss putting North vs Port Adelaide in Hobart on a Saturday afternoon game at 2:10.

This would be essential viewing for most footy fans if they put it on at Marvel on a Saturday night.

Is there some player welfare going on for JHF?
Hopefully it will get a bigger crowd in Hobart for a port game because only 5000 attended the port game there last season.

Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
I’m actually fine with us playing Geelong down there, they deserve to play all games at home if they choose but we should absolutely be demanding from the AFL that we return the favour and play them at Marvel to lock out their fans.
Fair is fair. Yes you can come, Cats fans. But only 5,000 of you. Sorry!

Exactly what they do to other teams.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair is fair. Yes you can come, Cats fans. But only 5,000 of you. Sorry!

Exactly what they do to other teams.
Its your home game, we dont care where you want to play it. And we dont feel entitled to entry either, unlike the richmond folk who demand 50/50 ticket splits and all our games moved up to the G.

Give us our 11 games in Geelong and we’ll go anywhere for your (collective) 11 home games.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Its your home game, we dont care where you want to play it. And we dont feel entitled to entry either, unlike the richmond folk who demand 50/50 ticket splits and all our games moved up to the G.

Give us our 11 games in Geelong and we’ll go anywhere for your (collective) 11 home games.
I’m happy with that.
Geelong are absolutely entitled to to 11 home games but I feel like their members get to double dip in some regards when they play us especially.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I’m happy with that.
Geelong are absolutely entitled to to 11 home games but I feel like their members get to double dip in some regards when they play us especially.
Your club (well sheedy) pushed the country game hard because it gave you more MCG games. If the country game moved to KP there’s no reason we couldn’t play you at marvel.

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
How early is your club's double ups this year? In recent seasons we've seen them as early as Round 10 or so, but Brisbane in 2023 have their double ups in Round 18, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24. We play only Geelong for the first time after our first double up. In a way it's a bit of back to the future where all clubs used to play everyone once before restarting the fixture but swapping the home and away teams.

Wondering if this is a comp-wide shift or just luck of the draw?

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
How early is your club's double ups this year? In recent seasons we've seen them as early as Round 10 or so, but Brisbane in 2023 have their double ups in Round 18, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24. We play only Geelong for the first time after our first double up. In a way it's a bit of back to the future where all clubs used to play everyone once before restarting the fixture but swapping the home and away teams.

Think this is the first year in a while we play everyone once before the double-ups start

Not sure it's a league wide shift for everyone, we play the Bulldogs in Round 5 and then again in Round 13. In fact the first of our two match ups against Geelong doesn't occur until after we've played the Bulldogs twice.

Bulldogs Rd 5 and 13: 7 games between matches
Geelong Rd 14 & 21: 6 games
Collingwood Rd 2 & 19: 16 weeks / 15 games
Adelaide Rd 3 & 20: 16 weeks / 15 games
Richmond Rd 11 & 24: 12 weeks / 11 games
Essendon Rd 8 & 16: 7 weeks / 6 games

Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat

My point is that Geelong are in an annoyingly unique position where they can lock opposition fans out of their home ground in large numbers.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
My point is that Geelong are in an annoyingly unique position where they can lock opposition fans out of their home ground in large numbers.
Its our home game, so we only care about our members. Thats how every H+A comp works. Did you care that windy hill used to lock out thousands of oppo supporters? Away members shouldn’t get unlimited access, those 11 games arent for them.

Having the MCG has spoiled the Melbourne clubs who all think they’re entitled to watch 18 games a season.

Danw0w

Cancelled
Footy Club Survivor 1: Adelaide Voter
Feb 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

Whats the random dig at Richmond for?

Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Its our home game, so we only care about our members. Thats how every H+A comp works. Did you care that windy hill used to lock out thousands of oppo supporters? Away members shouldn’t get unlimited access, those 11 games arent for them.

Having the MCG has spoiled the Melbourne clubs who all think they’re entitled to watch 18 games a season.
Most clubs care only about their members but aren't afforded the right to lock out most of the away club members. That's not even how this competition works for 17 teams. You're talking about Windy Hill 30 years ago? Geelong are doing it in 2023 and no other team does.

You say the games aren't for away fans but I'm willing to bet you've attended one. :$

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Most clubs care only about their members but aren't afforded the right to lock out most of the away club members. That's not even how this competition works for 17 teams. You're talking about Windy Hill 30 years ago? Geelong are doing it in 2023 and no other team does.

You say the games aren't for away fans but I'm willing to bet you've attended one. :$
West Coast and Freo were the same as Geelong when we had a similar sized home ground at Subi (42k capacity).

Optus seats 60k now but when West Coast is flying (and members turn up) you'd be lucky to get 10k opposition supporters in there. The big clubs like Bombers/Blues/Pies/Tigers could probably get more than that if they had capacity (as they have a lot of local fans).

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

17, 18, 20, 22, 23 and 24

We were the only club last year that had their double ups all between Rounds 19 and 23

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham

I think Melbourne play our 6 double ups in the last 7 rounds

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Melbourne again draw the short straw with the bye week only getting a 10 day break. No other side has less than 12 and most have 14.

We play Collingwood on KB and then Geelong on a Thursday night (at Geelong of course). Geelong play the Thursday the week before so while we have the bye and they don't we only get an extra 3 days rest. Same thing happened this year, I was hoping the club/AFLPA would've complained about the lack of break for our players - by contrast Collingwood plays us on the Monday and then plays the Sunday after their bye, an extra 3 day break (13 total) vs Melbourne's 10.

Back