World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup (Quarter Finals) - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbh soccer needs a real shake up of rules to improve the game, remove/minimize diving, players arguing with refs, the ticky-tacky soft penalties and contentious double-standards of what constitutes a foul or not, the ticky-tacky offside rules, etc.
The proper added time and VAR have cleaned it up a lot.

Still skirting the question tho....are there areas in soccer that can be improved with tweaks to the rules? Or are there not? Eg, many years ago they decided to tweak it so a goalkeeper couldn't possess the ball after receiving a pass by foot from a teammate. So they must've decided there was a problem/blight there that needed tweaking to improve the game, the spectacle.

I mentioned an idea in a WC thread a few weeks ago, for example ....once a team crosses halfway with possession of the ball, they can't take it back past halfway, kinda like basketball. The impetus then is that once you move forward with it, make a move....get the ball in, have a shot. If you lose possession, so be it. The onus will be on the other team to do the same.

I dunno exactly what to do about all the diving. Maybe just yellow card every single dive (that a VAR) guy looks at it as play goes on. If they deem it a dive. For amateur soccer the judgment could be on the ref themself to decide that. That might begin to change the culture of diving?

Let me guess , the once every 4 years fan "enhancement" ideas

bigger goals?
Get rid of offside rule?

It's amazing how football has become so popular without this much needed shake up of the rules.

Have you played soccer at a competitive level?

Still skirting the question tho....are there areas in soccer that can be improved with tweaks to the rules? Or are there not? Eg, many years ago they decided to tweak it so a goalkeeper couldn't possess the ball after receiving a pass by foot from a teammate. So they must've decided there was a problem/blight there that needed tweaking to improve the game, the spectacle.

I mentioned an idea in a WC thread a few weeks ago, for example ....once a team crosses halfway with possession of the ball, they can't take it back past halfway, kinda like basketball. The impetus then is that once you move forward with it, make a move....get the ball in, have a shot. If you lose possession, so be it. The onus will be on the other team to do the same.

I dunno exactly what to do about all the diving. Maybe just yellow card every single dive (that a VAR) guy looks at it as play goes on. If they deem it a dive. For amateur soccer the judgment could be on the ref themself to decide that. That might begin to change the culture of diving?

How will your idea work with the offside rule?

There's nothing I really dislike about the game. Even the diving. I have already explained why.

A good game to watch.. Liverpool v Manchester City Oct 21. 2-2. Although we drew. The game itself was great. The 4-0 Liverpool v Barcelona win at Anfield in the Champions League. The players the crowd the commentary great again.

I think the more you get to know the players the team the club the supporters the history etc the more you will enjoy the game. Get on the Liverpool bandwagon.

Last edited:
Is there any sport in the world that compares to the euphoria you feel when.. you.. your teamate.. scores a goal in soccer?
not being eliminated during Russian roulette is a fairly euphoric feeling I'd assume...

The offside rule. Makes it difficult to score at times. Football IQ. They've really got the game down pat.

not being eliminated during Russian roulette is a fairly euphoric feeling I'd assume...

You've got to train hard if you want to take a penalty. And it's not easy to score one in a game. So again. There's nothing I can think of that's really wrong with the game. Win a penalty shoot out.. you deserve to go through.

Play 30 mins of extra time.. play safe or are you bold enough to go for the win.

Last edited:
The offside rule. Makes it difficult to score at times. Football IQ. They've really got the game down pat.
Nothing wrong with having an offside rule. Just i think VAR makes it too ticky-tacky, a hand or head can be slightly forward of the line, and they disallow the goal, when pre-VAR it had to be more egregious to get the flag raised. So for me, if there was a tweak to offsides I'd make it -- most of the players body has to be forward of the line to call it offside, whether VAR is available or relying on refs call.

Nothing wrong with having an offside rule. Just i think VAR makes it too ticky-tacky, a hand or head can be slightly forward of the line, and they disallow the goal, when pre-VAR it had to be more egregious to get the flag raised. So for me, if there was a tweak to offsides I'd make it -- most of the players body has to be forward of the line to call it offside, whether VAR is available or relying on refs call.

I get you.

Just the ref calls had their issues as well.

VAR Hands feet head.. what do you do.. a fingernail a toe a nose.. that's got its problems as well.

It's happening in most sports this VAR. So it's something the game of soccer can't help.

England didn't lose because of the ref. It was in Kane's control to get England back level but he blew it. But in a tight game the ref can make a difference. There was a clear foul on Saka before France's first goal. VAR probably didn't recommend a review because it occurred at the far end of the pitch from the goal. But it left England out of position and vulnerable to the counter attack. There was a clear foul on Kane on the edge of the penalty area. Slow motion replays showed the significant contact was probably on the line. VAR had a long look at it and concluded there wasn't enough evidence to recommend a review. But VAR shouldn't have been needed in either incident. The ref missed both those clear fouls and also missed the obvious barge in the back on Mason Mount.

In terms of things that can be controlled, most neutral observers acknowledge that England were the better team on the night. The stats back that up. 57% possession, 16 shots to 8, 8 shots on target to 5, 5 corners to 2.

England were poor mate. Created bugger all, most of their possesion was in non threatening areas. Most of their shots were rubbish too. Only genuine chance apart from the penalties was Kane vs Lloris.

Absolutely laughable to suggest Saka was fouled. Nowhere near it. In any case Mbappe ran up the wing, turned back and then inside all with Kyle Walker & a mid (either Rice or Bellingham) unable to stop him. The goal was a new phase, 5 passes and 30 seconds away.

I do note that the referee did let a pretty blatant push in the back on Giroud in the box go because it was off the ball.

Class difference was there to see and this was a France minus Nkunku, Benzema, Lucas Hernandez, Kante & Pogba.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both of which are worth considering.

The goals thing is absolute nonsense. Even the wealthiest of football associations cringe at the cost to replace every goal frame. And imagine the scrap metal issue it creates. Think of how many goal frames there are worldwide. And imagine the chaos it would cause in underdeveloped nations who the last thing they need to be doing is having to spend a fortune replacing every goal frame.

Goals will never change in size for eternity.

Offside rule may evolve and change but will never be removed. If you remove it then football becomes a guaranteed game of long ball end to end with strikers able to sit up front behind defensive lines.

The goals thing is absolute nonsense. Even the wealthiest of football associations cringe at the cost to replace every goal frame. And imagine the scrap metal issue it creates. Think of how many goal frames there are worldwide. And imagine the chaos it would cause in underdeveloped nations who the last thing they need to be doing is having to spend a fortune replacing every goal frame.

Offside rule may evolve and change but will never be removed. If you remove it then football becomes a guaranteed game of long ball end to end with strikers able to sit up front behind defensive lines.
Theee "suggestions" always come from the casual disinterested observer at WC time

They just need a second massive set of golden goals that come out in extra time to hopefully break the deadlock for big tournaments.

The one problem with soccer is the 0-0 draws, especially when the knockout stage is on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back