Fixture AFL Season 2023 Full Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

All the stuff they always talk about never happen. Like free to air national coverage of a showdown for example.
It’s the same old same old.
And quirks not fixed like brisbane never having played at optus in perth
Such a dull and traditional fixture. AFL just confirm their bias with these ‘blockbusters’.
18 team competition. Every team should travel every second week. Business league.

Id dont mind mind our fixture but why the hell we have to play Geelong at Geelong again?

Also we have not had a home game against West Coast since 2014.

And the AFL seems to love Carlton.
Melbourne aren’t a big club, according to AFL.
Collingwood haven’t visited Kardinia Park since 1999. Balanced competition

Trying to artificially generate new blockbusters always makes me laugh. We'll soon have the Kings Birthday eve, eve blockbuster on a Saturday night.

As per Jon Ralph, the blues are gonna be so____
319185666_10159415144564773_6451964141556796819_n.jpg

Whats the random dig at Richmond for?
It's not random - that game in 2017 at KP your mob was furious to be playing down the highway and haven't come back since. KP needs a rotation policy so that all Melb clubs come down at least once every 2-3 years.

You say the games aren't for away fans but I'm willing to bet you've attended one. :$
And you have too I'm sure. Games aren't ever 100% home team, there's always room for away fans - even in the EPL. The AFL is unique in that it's now normal to play games in front of tens of thousands of empty seats and away access is seen as a right not a privilege. Just because we didn't give up our home ground doesn't mean you can force us to deny our members priority entry to our home games. We make $1m+ profit per home game, we've got the best deal in the league and once we get 11 home games plus finals we'll be locked forever.

Geelong ask for Collingwood to be one of their 2 MCG home games.
No we don't. We don't ask for any MCG home games. Just like you don't ask for any Marvel home games.

Collingwood are locked every year for 9 home games and 5 away games at the MCG (plus 2 home games at Marvel), it's a contract they have with the MCC/AFL. How it's allowed is beyond me. That leaves just 6 games for them to play away interstate, at marvel and down in Geelong. Basically if they played us, saints and bulldogs away they'd never go interstate so the KP game gets scrapped in favour for them playing us at the G away.

No we don't. We don't ask for any MCG home games. Just like you don't ask for any Marvel home games.

Collingwood are locked every year for 9 home games and 5 away games at the MCG (plus 2 home games at Marvel), it's a contract they have with the MCC/AFL. How it's allowed is beyond me. That leaves just 6 games for them to play away interstate, at marvel and down in Geelong. Basically if they played us, saints and bulldogs away they'd never go interstate so the KP game gets scrapped in favour for them playing us at the G away.
You think it happens every year by accident?

The AFL isn't going to give Geelong 11 home games in Geelong each year. They seldom give any Vic club 11 home games at their preferred venue.

Geelong always say "if it's not 11, can we at least have the the other 2 at the MCG, Against Collingwood, Hawthorn and whoever the next biggest drawcard is at the time?(currently Richmond)"

Why is that disappointing? The timeslots are obviously to cater for the TV networks.
Because there was talk of bringing Sat night forward to make it easier for families. Most people who attend games would be disappointed that the fixture cares less and less for those who want to attend?

Hmm since Gather Round(******* stupid name) is an extra game that means Geelong doesn't actually play WC in the regular season at all.

Any other clubs have something similar?

Still counts as a normal home and away game for 4 points, its a 23 game season. Just means you dont also play them in Perth or at Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think it happens every year by accident?

The AFL isn't going to give Geelong 11 home games in Geelong each year. They seldom give any Vic club 11 home games at their preferred venue.

Geelong always say "if it's not 11, can we at least have the the other 2 at the MCG, Against Collingwood, Hawthorn and whoever the next biggest drawcard is at the time?(currently Richmond)"
We have to maximise crowds at the G just to break even against our Geelong gate ($1m+). Thats the financial reality of us having games moved to Melbourne.

Melbourne aren’t a big club, according to AFL.
Collingwood haven’t visited Kardinia Park since 1999. Balanced competition
I don't mind too much that we play in Geelong, it is their home ground after all.
It's also more that we play them way more at the Geeelong than at the MCG.
Since 2010 (couldn't be bothered going back further lol) H&A - it's 10 games at Geelong, 4 at MCG and 1 at Marvel.

Last edited:
I don't mind too much that we play in Geelong, it is their home ground after all.
It's also more that we play them way more at the Geeelong than at the MCG.
Since 2010 (couldn't be bothered going back further lol) - it's 10 games at Geelong, 5 at MCG and 1 at Marvel, 1 at Optus.
It annoys me too. I'd much rather have a random 11 of 17 teams come down the highway each year, rather than the same rotation of 12 or so teams. It's a bit like the tassie situation where the crowds dropped off because GWS and GC got sent down every year.

It's not random - that game in 2017 at KP your mob was furious to be playing down the highway and haven't come back since. KP needs a rotation policy so that all Melb clubs come down at least once every 2-3 years..
It was random. No one was furious about anything. No one has even mentioned Richmond in this thread and you feel the need to have a go at the club?

This obsession that many Geelong fand on this site have with Richmond is unreal...

It was random. No one was furious about anything. No one has even mentioned Richmond in this thread and you feel the need to have a go at the club?

This obsession that many Geelong fand on this site have with Richmond is unreal...
It was a somewhat long bow to draw as a comparison, and clearly “furious” is an exaggeration, but it’s not random. They’re commenting in a round about way on Essendon not being fussed about going down there/Geelong not being fussed where Essendon play their home game, whereas Richmond wanted the game moved in 2017 and never wanted to play there ever again because they’re “too big” for it.

That’s not a Richmond obsession - it’s just a fact.

(I’m an Essendon fan, and I think we should play in Geelong if that’s where they want it, regardless of our membership numbers)

Hmm since Gather Round(******* stupid name) is an extra game that means Geelong doesn't actually play WC in the regular season at all.

Any other clubs have something similar?
Collingwood don't play ST Kilda in Melbourne only at Adelaide Oval

It was a somewhat long bow to draw as a comparison, and clearly “furious” is an exaggeration, but it’s not random. They’re commenting in a round about way on Essendon not being fussed about going down there/Geelong not being fussed where Essendon play their home game, whereas Richmond wanted the game moved in 2017 and never wanted to play there ever again because they’re “too big” for it.

That’s not a Richmond obsession - it’s just a fact.

(I’m an Essendon fan, and I think we should play in Geelong if that’s where they want it, regardless of our membership numbers)
100% spot on.

It all started when Richmond and Caroline Wilson campaigned to get our home game moved to their home ground, as if our members who pay $$$ every year for memberships don't mean anything.

It does sort of feel like the AFL artificially try to get Carlton and Essendon into the 8 most years.

Gold Coast should be getting looked after more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back