World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup (Quarter Finals) - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

Goal size is fine.

I personally despise the offside rule.

The sight of a line of full backs trying to edge forward to catch out a forward is ludicrous, and until the technology caught up, impossible to accurately police. It kills so much positive play.

I don't believe it would lead to long balls to forwards permanently camped in the penalty box, though that would be one tactic.

you have dramatically, like insanely so, overestimated the cost of soccer goals.

Correct. You don't see it on the telly but if you attend a game you will see two sets of goals wheeled into place along the goal lines so the goalkeepers can warm up without churning up the regular area.

I'm not saying I agree with the idea of bigger goals but the idea that it is technically or financially unfeasible is silly.

Goal size is fine.

The sight of a line of full backs trying to edge forward to catch out a forward is ludicrous, and until the technology caught up, impossible to accurately police. It kills so much positive play.

I don't believe it would lead to long balls to forwards permanently camped in the penalty box, though that would be one tactic.

Turfing the offside rule will throw everything out of whack.

It will lead to further rule changes. Dimensions of the pitch. The size of mothball. The amount of players on the pitch. All of that will need to change. You might even need to build new stadiums to just cater for changing the offside rule.

It's a genius of a rule. It forces you to play chess. If you don't know how to. Well you're not good enough.

Correct. You don't see it on the telly but if you attend a game you will see two sets of goals wheeled into place along the goal lines so the goalkeepers can warm up without churning up the regular area.

I'm not saying I agree with the idea of bigger goals but the idea that it is technically or financially unfeasible is silly.
Especially when you consider how much the grandstands cost.

Wouldnt the game potentially be better with long balls foward in the air? Thats what we love about afl.

That’s the issue. It’s what we love about afl and sometimes vfl and other state codes. Trying to bring that into another sports code because it’s something that brings excitement in afl is fraught with danger. What next? Make the posts longer and higher, and introduce shorter posts to the side?

It will lead to further rule changes. Dimensions of the pitch. The size of mothball. The amount of players on the pitch. All of that will need to change. You might even need to build new stadiums to just cater for changing the offside rule.

It's a genius of a rule. It forces you to play chess. If you don't know how to. Well you're not good enough.

I personally believe balls on the deck through traffic > long balls to a target

The offside rule is controversial and unpopular, but the game and code would be ruined forever if they got rid of it.

So much subtlety, skill, mental discipline and control of the players would diminish if the offside rule was abolished and it became a free for all and teams with faster mids and strikers would dominate.

That’s the issue. It’s what we love about afl and sometimes vfl and other state codes. Trying to bring that into another sports code because it’s something that brings excitement in afl is fraught with danger. What next? Make the posts longer and higher, and introduce shorter posts to the side?
That can be true but would it be? Or would it just create a more attacking and exciting game? Long kicks and headers wont happen on their own. It would also come with all the deft touches, dribbles and side steps that people love as well.

Plus bombing it to the penalty area from the opposition defence could also easily be stopped with a very simple rule that states the ball cant go into the penalty area without being touched in the front half first. Very easy rule to officiate, unlike offside.

No further rule changes required. Not sure what your theory is for that?

Regarding your last paragraph, I get that, but I personally just find it stifling, and a supremely boring way for a defence to quell attacking play.

I personally believe balls on the deck through traffic > long balls to a target

Fair enough, there is something beautiful about the timing of a good through ball. I don't see why you couldn't have both.

But generally speaking, I know this is not something that will ever happen - the rule was made, and I don't believe it will ever change.

The offside rule is controversial and unpopular

According to who? The rule is not unpopular. The way it is handled by VAR is unpopular and creates controversy.

That can be true but would it be? Or would it just create a more attacking and exciting game? Long kicks and headers wont happen on their own. It would also come with all the deft touches, dribbles and side steps that people love as well.

Plus bombing it to the penalty area from the opposition defence could also easily be stopped with a very simple rule that states the ball cant go into the penalty area without being touched in the front half first. Very easy rule to officiate, unlike offside.

but then you'll have people complaining that its become like netball where the ball must occupy possession in certain areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goal size is fine.

Nah, humans are getting taller and the tall blokes are more athletic than ever. Goals need to move with the wingspans. Just another foot either side would be fine and leave the height the same (Kane disagrees).

Just the top flight can change, lower leagues can stay the same to keep the costs down.

Nah, humans are getting taller and the tall blokes are more athletic than ever. Goals need to move with the wingspans. Just another foot either side would be fine and leave the height the same (Kane disagrees).

Just the top flight can change, lower leagues can stay the same to keep the costs down.
I hope you are joking.

The most popular sport and most played sport in the world needs to change their rules because a couple of Aussies find the game boring every 4 years.
It's just the age old excuse though. It's the first to go world wide so it's the most popular and therefore the best.

What suits kids and non professionals doesn't mean the pro's should still be doing the same thing for centuries.

It's just the age old excuse though. It's the first to go world wide so it's the most popular and therefore the best.

What suits kids and non professionals doesn't mean the pro's should still be doing the same thing for centuries.
Dumb idea is dumb. Also humans are getting taller sure, but not that quickly. You're talking as if the average height has gone up a foot.

That's not the reason it is the most played or popular.

What pros are arguing for changes to goalposts? You say that humans are getting taller but aside from one outlier, none of those types dominate. Neither did Peter Crouch or Jan Koller. In fact, Barca and United just bought short people to play centre half after Chelsea copped the snubbles.

Most people are more than happy with the way the sport is played.

That's not the reason it is the most played or popular.

What pros are arguing for changes to goalposts? You say that humans are getting taller but aside from one outlier, none of those types dominate. Neither did Peter Crouch or Jan Koller. In fact, Barca and United just bought short people to play centre half after Chelsea copped the snubbles.

Most people are more than happy with the way the sport is played.
Keeper heights in the semis - 195, 192, 188, 187. Huge people. Also Martinez is not a good example of a CB given he does suck against a high ball because he's short, not to mention other ways he sucks at CB.

Keeper heights in the semis - 195, 192, 188, 187. Huge people. Also Martinez is not a good example of a CB given he does suck against a high ball because he's short, not to mention other ways he sucks at CB.
You must be a midget or a Cruyff14 alias if you consider 6 ft 2 as huge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back