World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup (Quarter Finals) - On SBS

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
That's not the reason it is the most played or popular.

What pros are arguing for changes to goalposts? You say that humans are getting taller but aside from one outlier, none of those types dominate. Neither did Peter Crouch or Jan Koller. In fact, Barca and United just bought short people to play centre half after Chelsea copped the snubbles.

Most people are more than happy with the way the sport is played.
Humans are getting taller, 10cm since soccer was invented on average. Scouts have probably risen the average for pros by even more.

With modern coaching I’m sure it is harder to score than ever with zero stats searched for. They just need to stop all the penalty shootouts, it’s not a good way to decide the winner. It doesn’t have to be goal size, just something.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Dumb idea is dumb. Also humans are getting taller sure, but not that quickly. You're talking as if the average height has gone up a foot.
I suggested just the sides by 1 foot. Not the top. If the goalies are 10cm taller, they can reach an extra 1.22m2 of the approx 18m2 on all sides. Adding an extra 30cm each side adds 1.46m2. This will lead to more scoring and less kids wanting to be goal keepers.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Humans are getting taller, 10cm since soccer was invented on average. Scouts have probably risen the average for pros by even more.

With modern coaching I’m sure it is harder to score than ever with zero stats searched for. They just need to stop all the penalty shootouts, it’s not a good way to decide the winner. It doesn’t have to be goal size, just something.
Aside from the odd keeper, it is not a significant difference. Courtois is 6 ft 6 and only a few cms taller than Van Der Sar who retired over 10 years ago. Citys keeper is only 6ft 2. These aren't giant people in the greater scheme of things and scoring isn't an issue in the major leagues.

Penalties aren't ideal but no viable alternative has been created.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
I suggested just the sides by 1 foot. Not the top. If the goalies are 10cm taller, they can reach an extra 1.22m2 of the approx 18m2 on all sides. Adding an extra 30cm each side adds 1.46m2. This will lead to more scoring and less kids wanting to be goal keepers.
Depends upon their arm size. 10cm taller doesn't mean their arms are 10cm longer. You also realise that the taller you are, the longer it takes to get down to something right?

Your argument has no logic or scientific merit.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
I bet Jordan Pickford couldn’t.

Get it? That was a joke about his little arms.
t rex catfish GIF

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Also if anyone ever read the SRP forum they'd know never to listen to Seeds or take anything with more than a grain of salt. Not sure whether the person is a baiter or loves to be on the edge, but usually says stuff like this to stir s**t up it seems.

That's a bit rich coming from you. You're the master baiter.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United

If Jordan’s arms were only 12cm’s too short for his height and not 13cm’s too short, he would have saved the first goal. Fine margins!

Now enjoy this post game coverage of Jordan Pickford.

1670872500498.gif

I do feel for Jordan Pickford, though. I really, really do!

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The most popular sport and most played sport in the world needs to change their rules because a couple of Aussies find the game boring every 4 years.
Just to be clear, I love the game. Played it to state level in my school years. And I met Johnny Warren on a training camp. What an absolute honour.

Goal size is perfect.

Penalty shoot outs are perfect - just enthralling and a great test of basic skills under immense pressure.

Offside rule is annoying. No-one will ever admire a brilliant offside trap like they do with most other parts of the game. But it will never change so I accept it and I also really like the automated line delineating it instantly. Takes all the pressure off the decision makers.

Apart from that, the only things I would change is:

The diving and staging.
The verbal assault on the referees. It's just about the only thing Rugby Union has ever got right and it should be adopted by Soccer.

Apologies for calling it Soccer, just how it was for me growing up. Sorry Johnny.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
That can be true but would it be? Or would it just create a more attacking and exciting game? Long kicks and headers wont happen on their own. It would also come with all the deft touches, dribbles and side steps that people love as well.

Plus bombing it to the penalty area from the opposition defence could also easily be stopped with a very simple rule that states the ball cant go into the penalty area without being touched in the front half first. Very easy rule to officiate, unlike offside.
Or you could just not watch it if you think it needs to be more exciting.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Just to be clear, I love the game. Played it to state level in my school years. And I met Johnny Warren on a training camp. What an absolute honour.

Goal size is perfect.

Penalty shoot outs are perfect - just enthralling and a great test of basic skills under immense pressure.

Offside rule is annoying. No-one will ever admire a brilliant offside trap like they do with most other parts of the game. But it will never change so I accept it and I also really like the automated line delineating it instantly. Takes all the pressure off the decision makers.

Apart from that, the only things I would change is:

The diving and staging.
The verbal assault on the referees. It's just about the only thing Rugby Union has ever got right and it should be adopted by Soccer.

Apologies for calling it Soccer, just how it was for me growing up. Sorry Johnny.
I was never very good at football so played Union and Aussie Rules growing up and still play Union. You are spot on regarding respect for referees and it is getting worse at both the pro and amateur level.

The diving and staging is shocking but it is too ingrained in the sport now for it to be fixed imo. Someone in this thread mentioned that it is a contact sport. It really isn't anymore. World Cups and referees is always pretty rough as referees have interpretations on fouls that differ by region. A strong but fair challenge in England is sometimes classed as a yellow or red card in some parts of the world.

I don't think VAR or varieties of it helps referees in most sports either. It usually undermines them leading to player anger.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was never very good at football so played Union and Aussie Rules growing up and still play Union. You are spot on regarding respect for referees and it is getting worse at both the pro and amateur level.

The diving and staging is shocking but it is too ingrained in the sport now for it to be fixed imo. Someone in this thread mentioned that it is a contact sport. It really isn't anymore. World Cups and referees is always pretty rough as referees have interpretations on fouls that differ by region. A strong but fair challenge in England is sometimes classed as a yellow or red card in some parts of the world.

I don't think VAR or varieties of it helps referees in most sports either. It usually undermines them leading to player anger.
In many leagues around the world theres always imminent violence fears, refs under siege. But on a global scale it needs to change pronto, the culture of disrespect and crowding around refs. Rules like only the captain is allowed to approach the ref, and carding every single instance of dissent and diving CAN imo start to change the culture, especially for junior leagues for the sake of future generations.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
In many leagues around the world theres always imminent violence fears, refs under siege. But on a global scale it needs to change pronto, the culture of disrespect and crowding around refs. Rules like only the captain is allowed to approach the ref, and carding every single instance of dissent and diving CAN imo start to change the culture, especially for junior leagues for the sake of future generations.
At amateur level it's the supporters you want to look out for, not the players.

The respect union refs get is amazing. it really restores faith in mankind. When as you know the ref summons player and captain, they listen to the ref speak and only speak when permitted to. No arguing, well the captain sometimes tries but he knows its futile. I also like how they address the player by number. No names or nicknames that AFL umpires throw around, trying to be mates with everyone.

Funny, that its seen as a lardi da private school (in AUS)/public school (in UK) sport that's "soft", parents drive range rovers, nerds, go to the snow in winter etc. whereas RL and football are what "real men" play....lol look at them standing to attention to the refs like a naughty boy rolf. Contrast to football/RL/AFL, biff is loved by the crowd, and dissent at/with officialdom. Maybe that ties in with our culture (convict).

Back