World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup General Discussion - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it seems like with their media that every time England doesn't win a World Cup it's a failure.

There's just a blatant lack of respect for other countries, and I mean (this also applies to other countries) but English players are absolutely susceptible to being overrated because they play for clubs who make them look better than they are.

I mean Harry Kane is good but a top 5 striker in the world? I don't see it.
Who is better?

Haaland, Benzema, Lewa....?

irrelevant when only one of them is playing as the striker. in the team at the moment which is the only relevant point. I actually like Giroud as a player and think he is unfairly maligned but if you're actually stating that he's better than Kane then you're on another planet.

England and Newcastle never won anything with having Alan Shearer (whom imo was considerably more talented and dangerous than Kane) as the spearhead/lynchpin of their attack ...

You see where I'm going with this ? Numbers suggest Kane is a very good striker and player (which he is) but trying to make him the main focus point of your team's success is ultimately doomed to fail (or at least not result in sustained silverware success)

Don’t get me wrong I think they are a good team who if things go right can win a tournament, and they look to have some really talented kids. But every time they get knocked out of a tournament some of their fans and media are stunned they didn’t win the tournament.

Tournaments are really hard to win. Look at Spain 2010. One of the most dominant teams we’ve seen, and they still lost a group game and needed extra time in the final.
They are a very good team. But they have weaknesses and they don’t have a generational talent. I agree with you that they are doing as well as you could hope.

England and Newcastle never won anything with having Alan Shearer (whom imo was considerably more talented and dangerous than Kane) as the spearhead/lynchpin of their attack ...

You see where I'm going with this ? Numbers suggest Kane is a very good striker and player (which he is) but trying to make him the main focus point of your team's success is ultimately doomed to fail (or at least not result in sustained silverware success)
Talented? No. Probably a better old fashioned centre forward. Kane has much more to his game than Shearer.

Talented? No. Probably a better old fashioned centre forward. Kane has much more to his game than Shearer.

Each to their own, I found Shearer more fun to watch and he scored more spectacular goals, maybe doesn't make him a better player overall than Kane, but i honestly would watch non Leeds Newcastle games just for Shearer, I never felt that same impulse for Spurs games with Kane.

7490lz.jpg
d
Doesn't put Picard over Kirk or Sisko in GOAT enterprise rankings, but it doesn't hurt :)

Nope.

Kane is easily England's best striker. What is your cunning alternative plan for England to win trophies?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and shorts?

To me would be sensible if Argentina shorts matched their jersey and France likewise. France with red socks, Argies with white socks. Then one team is all light colors and one team all dark colors.

It will probably be the same as the last match though.

Had a great tournament so far, will be interesting to see if Pep can get get him into the team alongside Haaland a bit more often when the league returns.

Such a terrible take. The goals conceded were nothing to do with anyone playing up front. I highly doubt Alvarez would have made a difference in the Netherlands game where they scored the last minute equaliser or the one before that. Same with a lucky deflection from Goodwin's shot or both Saudi goals.

Might as well say "France have only ever played in finals since this baby was born in June 2018, therefore he is the reason they are in the final again"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back