State Focus WA 2022 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I hear, Hagan missed out because he is viewed as being undersized and lacking in any standout athletic ability that would compensate for being small.

I used to see this a lot following college basketball and the NBA for more that three decades.

Really good and skilful college players who didn’t drafted, because they didn’t have the required height and athleticism by position, for the NBA.
I had heard this too about Hagan.

Very tough situation for boys like Hagan. Picked in every possible state team from the age of 12 - often as a bottom ager also. Even made some of the all Australian teams I believe. Of course he thought he would be getting picked up and so he should.

Then you start hearing even up to a couple of years ago these kinds of comments about Hagen - undersized, no standout athletic traits. So my question is. Why do the WA state selectors keep choosing these kinds of boys. Is there any communication between recruiters and state selectors? Don’t get me wrong I think Hagen deserved to be in all the state teams he was picked in and is very unlucky. Just makes it very tough for him now when he doesn’t get picked up by an AFL club after understandably assuming he would be due to all the development and resources put into him over the past 6 or so years.

I guess in WA every year there really aren’t enough true “draftable” players so they make up the squad with boys that can at least compete well at a national level - which Hagan absolutely did. Just a very tough outcome for Hagan who really must have thought he was a guarantee.

Yep Draper and Williams rookied by Fremantle and Dewar and Baker rookied by West Coast. Will be interesting to see how they can go at league level.

Last edited:

Didn’t realise Baker is as tall as he is. If he grows a bit more and fills out he has the potential to be a pretty good size. Worth the punt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back