World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup General Discussion - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

Plus a replay doesn’t guarantee a win result

That's true, but it makes penalties less likely.

I checked the list of FA Cup Finals. There have been 14 over the years that went to a replay. Only 3 of the replays required extra time, with all decided within that time. The last FA Cup final replay was 1993 Arsenal v Sheff Wed. If it wasn't for a last minute Arsenal goal in extra time it would have been the first ever FA Cup final penalty shoot-out. After that, the rule was changed so that drawn finals after extra time would go to penalties without a replay.

1991–92 was the first FA Cup competition to use penalties to decide earlier rounds still tied after extra time in a replayed match. So you got the slightly odd situation where Liverpool progressed through the 4th and 5th round on replays, then the semi-final after a replay and penalties, but if the final was a draw it would not have gone to a replay.

Sorry, I digress...

That's true, but it makes penalties less likely.

I checked the list of FA Cup Finals. There have been 14 over the years that went to a replay. Only 3 of the replays required extra time, with all decided within that time. The last FA Cup final replay was 1993 Arsenal v Sheff Wed. If it wasn't for a last minute Arsenal goal in extra time it would have been the first ever FA Cup final penalty shoot-out. After that, the rule was changed so that drawn finals after extra time would go to penalties without a replay.

1991–92 was the first FA Cup competition to use penalties to decide earlier rounds still tied after extra time in a replayed match. So you got the slightly odd situation where Liverpool progressed through the 4th and 5th round on replays, then the semi-final after a replay and penalties, but if the final was a draw it would not have gone to a replay.

Sorry, I digress...
Yeah but like someone else said logistically too difficult. A normal WC in June is tight enough. What are going to do move a number of games and then have to move semi and final dates? Too hard in tournament football.

Yeah but like someone else said logistically too difficult. A normal WC in June is tight enough. What are going to do move a number of games and then have to move semi and final dates? Too hard in tournament football.

I don't think it would be that hard to have a replay planned for the Wednesday after a final in June. The same teams, the same stadium, the same support staff. The clubs are not playing competitive games for another few weeks.

I don't think it would be that hard to have a replay planned for the Wednesday after a final in June. The same teams, the same stadium, the same support staff. The clubs are not playing competitive games for another few weeks.

And ticket sales?

You don't think it's that hard to have hundreds of staff on standby to work a week after the planned last game just in case it's a draw? To organise TV rights, commentators, media, let alone hotels to book accomodation for supporters who may or may not attend?

Come on man.

There will be a few replays and some teams will need to play more than one.

There will be a few replays and some teams will need to play more than one.

No. I'm suggesting a replay for the final only. If it was planned, there could be all the logistics in place for if the situation eventuated.

I guess it depends on your view on penalty shoot outs. They are exciting but do you think it's a fair way to determine the best football team on the planet?

No. I'm suggesting a replay for the final only. If it was planned, there could be all the logistics in place for if the situation eventuated.

I guess it depends on your view on penalty shoot outs. They are exciting but do you think it's a fair way to determine the best football team on the planet?

Don’t think there’s a better alternative

Different sport but we learn't from the 2010 AFL grand final that a result on the actual day must happen.

Not sure I've heard a suggestion better than penalties.

What else?...extend ET by 10 minutes? 15? 30?

or each team takes off a player every 5 minutes until it becomes 5 on 5 but if it go to that then that's more ridiculous than a shoot out.

My favourite WC final penalty shoot out was in 1994 (Bra v Ita)

I was 14 at the time and we had a grumpy Italian science teacher (Mr Colarossi) in my High School, everyone gave it to him when he showed up to school (late lol) that day, including the teachers, one IT teacher (Mr Thompson) went around printing massive WELL DONE BRAZIL signs in every science lab room and the staff faculty room with those old dot matrix printers back then (we lived in simpler times in the 90s :) )

Cola was absolutely pissed, one of my very favourite High School memories.

Yep, happy for penalty shoot-outs to stay for WC finals.

The point is if the replay is also a draw, under your proposal they'd play another replay, and then another.

There are plenty of more viable alternatives to a shoot out than a replay, it's not a one or the other.

The point is if the replay is also a draw, under your proposal they'd play another replay, and then another.

There are plenty of more viable alternatives to a shoot out than a replay, it's not a one or the other.

No, I'm suggesting one replay. There's no guarantee it wouldn't go to penalties but it would be less likely. As I pointed out, of the 14 FA Cup finals have gone to a replay. 11 were settled inside 90 minutes, 3 went to extra time, none required penalties.

What are your preferred alternatives?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I'm suggesting one replay. There's no guarantee it wouldn't go to penalties but it would be less likely. As I pointed out, of the 14 FA Cup finals have gone to a replay. 11 were settled inside 90 minutes, 3 went to extra time, none required penalties.

What are your preferred alternatives?

Golden goal.

I reckon Silver goal is the best. Encourages teams to have a real go in the first half of ET. Gives teams a chance to come back from a goal down also.

Yeah I think perfect world would be like NFL, silver goal first half, then golden goal until a goal is scored.

They scrapped golden goal because they felt teams became even more defensive. Silver was tried for very short time and also scrapped for same reason. Maybe they could’ve given it more time but happy with penalties

What about those MLS penalties from the 90s where they kicked it off from half way and the keeper could come out?

I honestly think they'd be really interesting and would bring in a lot more variables.

What about those MLS penalties from the 90s where they kicked it off from half way and the keeper could come out?

I honestly think they'd be really interesting and would bring in a lot more variables.

Not a bad idea ..you would actually have memorable moments like Carlos Alberto goal..this was before MLS

Didn't George Best or someone play in Australia?

Yeah, he did have a short stint for a few games in Brisbane. Peter Beardsley played here in the late 1990’s, I went and watched him with a couple mates.

My post wasn’t an insult to the MLS, which sounds like a very good quality competition. In the 1970’s, not so much.

Last edited:
Yeah, he did have a short sting for a few games in Brisbane. Peter Beardsley played here in the late 1990’s, I went and watched him with a couple mates.

My post wasn’t an insult to the MLS, which sounds like a very good quality competition. In the 1970’s, not so much.
In the 70s it went through a strong period in the US. There's a great doco about it, "once in a lifetime"... Well worth a watch.

In the 70s it went through a strong period in the US. There's a great doco about it, "once in a lifetime"... Well worth a watch.

Okay then, I’ll plead ignorance then.

I will probably check out the documentary then. Thanks for the recommendation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back