Opinion Richmonds 2017-20 Dynasty would have beaten every other Premiership side of the 2010's

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't even have to ask him, poor bugger couldn't help but name drop us at the Tiggie BnF. Mrs Hardwick 2.0 is apparently sick of Dimmy muttering 'ARC, Hocking, Geelong' in his sleep every night. :roflv1:

Truth hurts some StPuuuurrrrr. And helps others.

giphy.gif

Things you imagine don’t help or hurt anyone. 😁

Things you imagine don’t help or hurt anyone. 😁
The non-stop list of conspiracy theories as to why the Tiggies are staring at a third straight year without a finals win while Geelong managed an incredible, beautiful 2022 premiership triumph seem to be 'helping' the mental wellbeing of most of your supporter base though? :grinv1:

Geez there would be a good case study to be made examining the constant need for trolling and attention for some of these tiger’s supporters.

It’s like their lives are so meaningless that they feel this is the only attention and success in thier lives when they get the reaction they want . I too echo Shadow’s sentiments…you can’t have a normal conversation with tigers supporters anymore , yet you can with just about any other opposition supporter.

The main board has gone to the dogs the mods needs to come down hard on a few of these tiger’s supporters for the constant trolling and attention seeking threads

The game evolves tactically and in strength and stamina, so it's only logical that teams will be better than they were 10 years ago.

I judge teams on how good their individual players were, the way they played against their contemporaries and also the strength/talent of their contemporaries.

On that basis, it goes, in terms of overall Greatness of the teams: Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond.

Why are people glossing over the fact that Chris Scott who actually PLAYED in the Lions 01-03 teams and COACHED the Geelong team AGAINST the hawks teams no less says that we would beat them ALL? Like hello, nobody has more authority than him on this matter in the whole football world.

End of story, no amount of BF polls from nostalgic people who don’t take into account the tactics and evolution of the game will this fact.

Papa G argued this well, you can argue which dynasty was ‘greater’ based on 3peats, players and who they played in their respective eras which is fine. But if they actually played a match against each other the older the team we play against the bigger the thumping. Only Hawks v Tigers would be a competitive match imo 50/50. Because of how close together they were.

The next dynasty would beat us and it keeps going. Are you lions and Cats fans gonna say they are still the greatest teams 50 years from now? If yes, then you aren’t being objective on this matter and you’ll probably say the comp is weak over and over and over like a broken record to keep your narrative of denial going. Easy to just accept the inevitable. Like pies 1920s 4peat team getting thumped by North.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

On paper those Crows sides have to be two of the worst premiership teams in the AFL era.

A good midfield that’s about it. Maybe two decent defenders.
Ricciuto didn’t even play in one of those flags and Modra missed both. Surely it was the inclusion of 4 new teams in fast succession which allowed Crows to win two flags?

Wouldn’t know though as their b2b was my first two years of life.

what is the best grand final to not happen in the past 20 years or so?

richmond v west coast 2018 has got to be up there. maybe geelong v west coast 2007 - what happened to the eagles that year after 2006

the real answer was obviously geelong vs sydney but it happened a decade late

what is the best grand final to not happen in the past 20 years or so?

richmond v west coast 2018 has got to be up there. maybe geelong v west coast 2007 - what happened to the eagles that year after 2006

the real answer was obviously geelong vs sydney but it happened a decade late

Richmond vs Pies 2019 would’ve been mad especially since they seemed to have the wood on us since the 2018 prelim. Both fans bases would’ve been feral.

Pies vs Cats 2022 rematch would’ve been good as well.

Like I said, having this regularly reoccur would be enough to snap any supporter base’s self confidence and hopes & dreams.

View attachment 1577684

It’s why they take it so personally, because they’ve become accustomed to allowing us to use them as a communal litter box and it just won’t change. 😎

View attachment 1577685
You’ve been a bad man forgetting the disclaimer “*doesn’t include finals”

Don’t make me tell you again.

Ummmmm….thread was started to discuss an article in the paper essentially about football evolution.

Cats fans swamp every Tiger thread. Which means there is a lot of discussion on Richmond threads. If you didn’t like the thread, presumably you wouldn’t be here discussing the subject matter.

Strange to take a position in a debate then argue the debate shouldn’t be taking place. I understand Richmond have messed Cats supporters heads up a bit, but maybe just try one or the other. 😁

1671861639210.png

Discussing what article? Theres no mention of an article in the first post...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are people glossing over the fact that Chris Scott who actually PLAYED in the Lions 01-03 teams and COACHED the Geelong team AGAINST the hawks teams no less says that we would beat them ALL? Like hello, nobody has more authority than him on this matter in the whole football world.

End of story, no amount of BF polls from nostalgic people who don’t take into account the tactics and evolution of the game will this fact.

Papa G argued this well, you can argue which dynasty was ‘greater’ based on 3peats, players and who they played in their respective eras which is fine. But if they actually played a match against each other the older the team we play against the bigger the thumping. Only Hawks v Tigers would be a competitive match imo 50/50. Because of how close together they were.

The next dynasty would beat us and it keeps going. Are you lions and Cats fans gonna say they are still the greatest teams 50 years from now? If yes, then you aren’t being objective on this matter and you’ll probably say the comp is weak over and over and over like a broken record to keep your narrative of denial going. Easy to just accept the inevitable. Like pies 1920s 4peat team getting thumped by North.

I don’t think anyone is. I think it’s generally well accepted that if a current side played a side from 20 years ago they would win.

It doesn’t make them a ‘better’ side as you and I have discussed previously.

A mediocre guitarist from the current era can play things that someone from years gone by cannot. Why? Because of advances in the art and the technology associated to it. It doesn’t make them a ‘better’ guitarist than Merle Travis or someone because it is reasonable to assume that given his dedication, natural talent, and ear for music, if Merle Travis was around now he’d be just as good as anyone

That first quarter by The Hawks against The Swans in the 2014 grand final was as good as football as I have seen and it wasn't if The Swans weren't a good side.
First qtr and a half when it was something like 13 goals to 2 at one stage was invincible footy. Hard and tough and along with that tearing them up with precision kicking. Was poetry.

I don’t think anyone is. I think it’s generally well accepted that if a current side played a side from 20 years ago they would win.
That’s not good enough for these “new money” Richmond knuckleheads though, they simply neeeeed more than that to massage their badly bruised egos back to something resembling even a slightly normal psyche.

What a tough struggle their daily lives must be, jumping at shadows, feeling insecure & unworthy and all the while thinking up new, outrageous conspiracy theories Steve Hocking and Gil have concocted simply to stop only Richmond.

What a woeful existence. 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

It doesn’t make them a ‘better’ side as you and I have discussed previously.

A mediocre guitarist from the current era can play things that someone from years gone by cannot. Why? Because of advances in the art and the technology associated to it. It doesn’t make them a ‘better’ guitarist than Merle Travis or someone because it is reasonable to assume that given his dedication, natural talent, and ear for music, if Merle Travis was around now he’d be just as good as anyone

How do you define what ‘better’ is then?

I’ll try and give another example. Ali is the ‘greatest’ boxer ever, what he did back then for the sport will never be seen again, a true legend.

However I believe the boxers of today would destroy him in a fight they are bigger, stronger than he ever was. I might be in the minority but I think Tyson would’ve beaten him.

Despite this I still believe Ali was ‘greater’ because of the legacy. This is what I’m am trying to say with footy. ‘Greatness’ is different to who would win in a straight up match. Most people on here don’t agree with this and think in a straight up match teams from 20 years ago would beat teams today. Reasonable people like you and Chris Scott don’t though which is good.

Cats supporters shouldn’t stress though, you’ll get another dynasty later on. 07-11 isn’t the only one you are going to have, so you don’t have to defend it with every breath. 2022 could be the start of the new one, don’t dismiss it by saying it’s a weak era to keep the 07-11 one on a pedestal. It’s doing the club a disservice. Chris Scott has moved on you guys should too.

I’ll try and give another example. Ali is the ‘greatest’ boxer ever, what he did back then for the sport will never be seen again, a true legend.

However I believe the boxers of today would destroy him in a fight they are bigger, stronger than he ever was. I might be in the minority but I think Tyson would’ve beaten him.

Despite this I still believe Ali was ‘greater’ because of the legacy. This is what I’m am trying to say with footy. ‘Greatness’ is different to who would win in a straight up match. Most people on here don’t agree with this and think in a straight up match teams from 20 years ago would beat teams today. Reasonable people like you and Chris Scott don’t though which is good.

Cats supporters shouldn’t stress though, you’ll get another dynasty later on. 07-11 isn’t the only one you are going to have, so you don’t have to defend it with every breath. 2022 could be the start of the new one, don’t dismiss it by saying it’s a weak era to keep the 07-11 one on a pedestal. It’s doing the club a disservice. Chris Scott has moved on you guys should too.

You have a bizarre view on the past. Everything before us was not as good.

Most human beings were stronger (pound for pound) and tougher than what we are today. And please don't quote Olympics results as we all know they are juiced for years before all events in order to push their bodies to the max.
Ali would destroy Tyson and all boxers today. In fact, give me Rocky Marciano over any boxer you choose from the modern era and I know I ain't losing. Sonny Liston v Wilder or Fury . . . neither would stand up to such brutal hits for long enough.

As for this discussion, we only talking a decade. Hawthorn would dispose of Richmond. Awesome fire power. Lake v Lynch. Gibson v Riewoldt. Hodge blanketing Martin. Birchall intercepting.

Hawks by 3 goals.

You have a bizarre view on the past. Everything before us was not as good.

Most human beings were stronger (pound for pound) and tougher than what we are today. And please don't quote Olympics results as we all know they are juiced for years before all events in order to push their bodies to the max.
Ali would destroy Tyson and all boxers today. In fact, give me Rocky Marciano over any boxer you choose from the modern era and I know I ain't losing. Sonny Liston v Wilder or Fury . . . neither would stand up to such brutal hits for long enough.

As for this discussion, we only talking a decade. Hawthorn would dispose of Richmond. Awesome fire power. Lake v Lynch. Gibson v Riewoldt. Hodge blanketing Martin. Birchall intercepting.

Hawks by 3 goals.

Mate I’m just agreeing with Chris Scott, I’m not being bizzare. You can believe whatever you want.

And no they weren’t stronger and tougher back then. That’s just factually wrong and completely against science. Saying ‘Juiced’ conspiracy theories doesn’t prove you right.

Literally just watch games from the 80s back. The skills are atrocious compared to today. Defenders gave forwards so much space that you could setup a campfire and still have time to kick a goal. Watch every Lethal highlight ever.

Greater is a different argument anyway.

Better can still be someone who would be defeated head to head - defining who was better involves establishing what the standard of opposition was/is, level of dominance, ie. was the team belting everyone for fun or were they fairly beatable? Was a team made up of stars in every spot or were they carried by a couple of people?

The assumption ALWAYS has to be made that the two players or teams being compared, would meet on an equal playing field, so in circumstances were both teams had the same training, background, development, equipment, coaching, conditions, all that sort of stuff.

For a very simple example, the Collingwood team that won 4 straight comps - how would they compare to a modern dynasty team given that Hawthorn and Geelong and Richmond are used to flying to the Gold Coast to play in humid temperatures? They would be hopeless at it. So you have a to make an assumption in the comparison that Collingwood would all be used to handling normal travel that modern teams have no issues with. Likewise you’d have to assume that Richmond players of today wouldn’t be training 4-5 days a week.

You need to make sure that whatever platform you compare the sides on, that they’ve both got the same access to the same things and work backwards from there.

In the boxing comparison I think you would be surprised. Remember, Ali beat Foreman: in 1994 Foreman beat Michael Moorer when he was 44. Moorer beat Evander Holyfield, who beat Tyson.

The heavyweights of the recent era have mostly been very big - Fury, the Klitschko’s, Valuev etc but they’re beatable and Fury himself is such a good fighter because he is very skilled more than anything.

Mate I’m just agreeing with Chris Scott, I’m not being bizzare. You can believe whatever you want.

And no they weren’t stronger and tougher back then. That’s just factually wrong and completely against science. Saying ‘Juiced’ conspiracy theories doesn’t prove you right.

Literally just watch games from the 80s back. The skills are atrocious compared to today. Defenders gave forwards so much space that you could setup a campfire and still have time to kick a goal. Watch every Lethal highlight ever.

Human beings are weaker today. In fact go back much further and ancient humans would pull your arm from its socket if you showed your face in that time. Much smaller but supremely compact and dense. Pure food. Poorer health and obviously less intelligent but that is why strength was needed ahead of brains.

Human beings are weaker today. In fact go back much further and ancient humans would pull your arm from its socket if you showed your face in that time. Much smaller but supremely compact and dense. Pure food. Poorer health and obviously less intelligent but that is why strength was needed ahead of brains.

Except we’ve grown taller and bigger over time. Have you seen those strongmen from the 1920s, they are smaller than the average gym junkies on the street.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back