Richmond 2017-20 v Hawthorn 2012-15

Which side was stronger and had the better period of dominance?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Selfield

Debutant
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Two great dynasties and eras from the past decade but which side was stronger and had the better period of dominance?
This should be an interesting discussion for neutrals who hold no bias or allegion towards the Hawks or Tigers at all.

tumblr_m2xqh8eUsE1r4xuq0o1_500.gifv

Can’t pick 50/50

Slightly better list (Hawks) v Slightly better system (Tigers) Chris Scott says us so I’ll defer to him as per the other thread especially since he coached against both of us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Richmond won their premierships in a really weak era. It is why the teams they played in their Grand Finals were up for a season or two at most. They (GWS, Adelaide etc) were not up there because they were good, they were up there because the previous heavyweight teams (Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney and Fremantle) were all in decline.

Richmond won their premierships in a really weak era. It is why the teams they played in their Grand Finals were up for a season or two at most. They (GWS, Adelaide etc) were not up there because they were good, they were up there because the previous heavyweight teams (Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney and Fremantle) were all in decline.
Geelong? They’ve been up for a while yeah?

Geelong? They’ve been up for a while yeah?

Yes, but they weren't half the team they were a few years earlier.

I mean look at 2020. Port Adelaide somehow ended the season on top of the table. I didn't even remember that, in fact I had to check 2 websites to see if that was a mistake with the first one. Port Adelaide were a nothing team, certainly not a team you look at and think "wow they are strong" and yet somehow they were on top of the ladder at the end of the Home and Away season.

I mean look at 2020. Port Adelaide somehow ended the season on top of the table. I didn't even remember that, in fact I had to check 2 websites to see if that was a mistake with the first one. Port Adelaide were a nothing team, certainly not a team you look at and think "wow they are strong" and yet somehow they were on top of the ladder at the end of the Home and Away season.

Just ask Chris Scott man, instead of looking like a fool as usual.

I can't split them

The tigers won it during a period of a very even comp. Winning once during in even comp is one thing but winning three is a major achievement.

The hawks won a flag where the lead up was impossible to rebuild due to the compromised drafts. Winning one against the like of freo, cats and swans is one thing, but three is incredible.

I dare say 16 other clubs would like to have this record in the last decade

Last edited:
It is a sad day that we will probably have most Geelong posters supporting us
Not hard. Richmond's era was weak with a s**t gameplan.
The answer therefore cannot be "Auskick for Adults" Tigers.

Not hard. Richmond's era was weak with a s**t gameplan.
The answer therefore cannot be "Auskick for Adults" Tigers.

Richmond's gameplan could be picked apart by good foot skills. A 2013 to 2015 Hawthorn team would have destroyed them as they would have picked apart Richmond and Richmond would not have been able to force that many turnovers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond's gameplan could be picked apart by good foot skills. A 2013 to 2015 Hawthorn team would have destroyed them as they would have picked apart Richmond and Richmond would not have been able to force that many turnovers.
That hawks team at their prime was insane… it was like watching a sashimi chef with his ultra sharp knife slice effortlessly through raw fish. It was sublime to watch. It was poetry

Except our style countered it lol that’s sort of why we won 3 flags 🤣 Ask Geelong why they cooked it against us with ‘perfect’ foot skills and had to change it up to win 2022.

Except our style countered it lol that’s sort of why we won 3 flags 🤣 Ask Geelong why they cooked it against us with ‘perfect’ foot skills and had to change it up to win 2022.

Um no as there were no particularly good footskills teams in the AFL in that period. Hawthorn had definitely declined by 2017 and were no where near the team they were a few years prior.

2019 - we beat Geelong(minor premiers) in a prelim
2020- we beat Geelong in a gf.
Take us out of the picture and they are probably winning their 3rd flag in 4 years in 2022.

Just ask Chris Scott man, instead of looking like a fool as usual.

Good idea - what do you think Chris?

“With the greatest respect to them (Richmond), they’re not Hawthorn in the multiple premiership years in a row, I don’t think.

“I don’t think they’re Geelong, St Kilda or Collingwood through that sort of 2009/10 period either.”

Thanks Falcon, case closed.

Um no as there were no particularly good footskills teams in the AFL in that period. Hawthorn had definitely declined by 2017 and were no where near the team they were a few years prior.

Our game style was purposeful designed to stop that ‘perfect’ footy style and it did it very effectively. Regardless, we beat Hawks almost every time during their 3peat with a s**t team consisting of Ty Vickery, Conca, Griffiths and a whole lot of their duds and a crappy system which Hardwick had to revamp in 2017. Pretty sure we would do ok with our dynasty team. Hence why Chris Scott agrees. That’s just it really, dunno why this is even a thread.

Good idea - what do you think Chris?

“With the greatest respect to them (Richmond), they’re not Hawthorn in the multiple premiership years in a row, I don’t think.

“I don’t think they’re Geelong, St Kilda or Collingwood through that sort of 2009/10 period either.”

Thanks Falcon, case closed.

This was said before we won our 2019 flag and you know this. You don’t sound smart at all, quite the contrary like a politician who distorts facts with every breath. You doing this on a footy thread is just sad man, like really sad.

Read the article that just came out, Scott has changed his tune. We win, then end. Cope.

This was said before we won our 2019 flag and you know this. You don’t sound smart at all, quite the contrary like a politician who distorts facts with every breath. You doing this on a footy thread is just sad man, like really sad.

Read the article that just came out, Scott has changed his tune. We win, then end. Cope.

You’re wrong about literally everything.

That was said in 2020.

Scott’s recent comments in essence said that progress means that more recent champion teams would beat older ones. It didn’t say that Richmond is comparatively better than any of the other dynasties.

The two comments are entirely consistent but I’ve read enough of your dribble to realise you don’t understand that.

Back