Who will be better in 2023 Richmond or Brisbane?

Who will be better in 2023

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Do you not understand what I said or do you not agree with it?

I think Lions finish 2nd we finish 3rd in H&A
Lions lose a prelim and we make it to the GF.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well, spell if out, instead of saying 'both make a prelim'.

Reckon Brisbane's more likely to make a GF than Richmond, as they've clearly addressed their biggest deficiencies this off-season.

Richmond to just miss the top 4 and finish 5th, for me.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Well, spell if out, instead of saying 'both make a prelim'.

Reckon Brisbane's more likely to make a GF than Richmond, as they've clearly addressed their biggest deficiencies this off-season.

Richmond to just miss the top 4 and finish 5th, for me.

Fair, I just do not trust the lions at the MCG.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Fair, I just do not trust the lions at the MCG.

Neither do I but I have more confidence of them making it there on the back of 2 home finals wins.

People like to harp on about their recent finals losses in past seasons but they were very close game and could've gone either way.

They'd want to win their MCG matches this year to break their hoodoo, that's for sure.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Neither do I but I have more confidence of them making it there on the back of 2 home finals wins.

People like to harp on about their recent finals losses in past seasons but they were very close game and could've gone either way.

They'd want to win their MCG matches this year to break their hoodoo, that's for sure.

Yeah I think they do have a better chance of getting there but if we get to a prelim it means we’ve found form and if we play at the MCG with good form I’m picking us over them.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers

We beat Melbourne there in week two of the finals last year, so I would hope the hoodoo has been broken.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
We beat Melbourne there in week two of the finals last year, so I would hope the hoodoo has been broken.

Trac was on one leg though and lever lost his mind, he thought he was a ballerina or something with those spins 🤣

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
You guys had 9 AA players in '07 lol, Richmond (2 AA members in '19) were closer to GWS talent wise in '19 than Port was to Geelong in '07.

Probably weeks ago now but this perfectly illustrates how average the league was in 2019, including Richmond. Thankyou for this.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Probably weeks ago now but this perfectly illustrates how average the league was in 2019, including Richmond. Thankyou for this.

08, AAs meant f all. Weakest fake ‘dynasty’ ever. Lost to a team who weren’t old enough to shave yet.

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Do you not understand what I said or do you not agree with it?

I think Lions finish 2nd we finish 3rd in H&A
Lions lose a prelim and we make it to the GF.

I'm not sure where Brisbane will finish, but feel that is waaay overestimating Richmond's chances.

Not sure where the improvement will come from a pretty battered list.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not sure where Brisbane will finish, but feel that is waaay overestimating Richmond's chances.

It really is quite amazing.

The brains trust of BigFooty are debating who will finish higher out of Brisbane and Richmond in the same way they are Collingwood and Carlton.

😮😮😮

If I could get even money about both bets, I'd put a mozza on the Brisbane/Collingwood double at circa $4.

Nothing surer... it would we the best $4 bet since I was backing Carlton to miss the top 8 from round 17 last season...

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond

Well we got Taranto and Hopper to fix our weakest area, Dusty hopefully coming back fit is essentially a new recruit. We also didn’t have Grimes in the EF and Prestia did a hammy in the second qtr or something. Lynch also missed a sitter the idiot.

I see plenty of improvement considering our young kids like Bolton, MRJ, Cumberland and Gibcus will improve.

Most people don’t know but we are technically just younger than the Lions with more finals experience. I’m not so sure it’s as clear cut as you are making it out.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond

The brains trust of BigFooty are debating who will finish higher out of Brisbane and Richmond in the same way they are Collingwood and Carlton.

If I could get even money about both bets, I'd put a mozza on the Brisbane/Collingwood double at circa $4.

Nothing surer... it would we the best $4 bet since I was backing Carlton to miss the top 8 from round 17 last season...

You could just relax about people’s opinion, it’s just a prediction. Go punt as much as you want man, we don’t need to hear about it.

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well we got Taranto and Hopper to fix our weakest area, Dusty hopefully coming back fit is essentially a new recruit. We also didn’t have Grimes in the EF and Prestia did a hammy in the second qtr or something. Lynch also missed a sitter the idiot.

I see plenty of improvement considering our young kids like Bolton, MRJ, Cumberland and Gibcus will improve.

Most people don’t know but we are technically just younger than the Lions with more finals experience. I’m not so sure it’s as clear cut as you are making it out.

What’s not clear cut?

That I don’t see how you’ll make the GF with your list?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
What’s not clear cut?

That I don’t see how you’ll make the GF with your list?

That you can’t see where our improvement will come from and we have a battered list. I don’t see that.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m also struggling to see how a 31 year old Dustin Martin with 270 games experience will be ‘like a new recruit’.

He chose not to play for 3/4 of the year because of depression, he also had a serious kidney injury coming into the season where he lost 10kgs. His first game back from a hammy was the EF.

The games he did play he was rusty af because he missed a lot of footy. So yeah he’s essentially a new recruit because it’s like we didn’t have him this year. Being 31 doesn’t matter anymore Hawkins is 35 next year, he’s doing alright.

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He chose not to play for 3/4 of the year because of depression, he also had a serious kidney injury coming into the season where he lost 10kgs. His first game back from a hammy was the EF.

The games he did play he was rusty af because he missed a lot of footy. So yeah he’s essentially a new recruit because it’s like we didn’t have him this year. Being 31 doesn’t matter anymore Hawkins is 35 next year, he’s doing alright.

If North finally get Charlie Comben right this year he’ll be like a new recruit.

An already deteriorating Martin who has been in the system almost 15 years is hardly going to get better. Plenty of blokes miss half a year, a year of football.

And Hawkins and Martin are completely different players.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
If North finally get Charlie Comben right this year he’ll be like a new recruit.

An already deteriorating Martin who has been in the system almost 15 years is hardly going to get better. Plenty of blokes miss half a year, a year of football.

And Hawkins and Martin are completely different players.

I don’t think many players have gone through what Dusty has in a year tbh. Depression stuffs your mind up and lacerated kidneys can be life threatening. He had no interest in the game this year. If that changes which I hope it does, it’s a game changer for our 2023 season.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I don’t think many players have gone through what Dusty has in a year tbh. Depression stuffs your mind up and lacerated kidneys can be life threatening. He had no interest in the game this year. If that changes which I hope it does, it’s a game changer for our 2023 season.

Yep, wishing nothing but the best for Dusty. The death of his father did knock him back (mentally and emotionally) heaps too.

Wasn't aware he suffered lacerated kidneys too, that sounds very painful 😶

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m also struggling to see how a 31 year old Dustin Martin with 270 games experience will be ‘like a new recruit’.
Would you agree that Alastair Lynch was like a "new Recruit" when he came back from his illness

after all its a player you didnt have the previous year that is now healthy and hungry to play
Also a player like Ben Cunnington could be like a "new recruit" after missing pretty much all of 2022

Maybe step back and look at it on a slight angle

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

Pies are the worst performed top-4 team almost in living memory. And Pies have lost about their only promising young forward.

A forward line comprising Mihocek, Hoskin-Elliott, Cox, Giannivian and Elliott is hardly imposing.

And Elliott might be the most overrated player in the comp…. based on media focus you’d think he’d kicked 50+ goals from his 19 games… he kicked 28. Barely passable for basically a permanent forward in a top-4 team.

If Pies split their close games in 2022 or even go 60/40, they finish about 11th.

A very ordinary list.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pies are the worst performed top-4 team almost in living memory.
I should have stopped reading here, given Collingwood lost their Qualifying Final by 6 points, won their Semi-Final with a leg in the air, and lost their Preliminary Final, interstate, by 1 point.

Starting at 2022, Melbourne, who went out of the Finals in straight sets, were worse performed than Collingwood.

But then I read this:
And Pies have lost about their only promising young forward.
I suspect you're referring to Oliver Henry, who lost his place in the team late in the year and wasn't considered good enough for Collingwood's finals campaign.

So I then stopped reading.

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I should have stopped reading here, given Collingwood lost their Qualifying Final by 6 points, won their Semi-Final with a leg in the air, and lost their Preliminary Final, interstate, by 1 point.

Starting at 2022, Melbourne, who went out of the Finals in straight sets, were worse performed than Collingwood.

But then I read this:

I suspect you're referring to Oliver Henry, who lost his place in the team late in the year and wasn't considered good enough for Collingwood's finals campaign.

So I then stopped reading.

You lost the PF by a point. How’d that team you lost to perform in the GF? And you got the Cattiwobbles in week 1 of finals … they were nervous as all get out which was clear to see and almost choked against you.

The Pies backline is very good, albeit with an ageing Howe a key cog.

Your midfield is very good but still relies very heavily on Pendlebury and Sidey, both on their last legs. And Mitchell is a ball magnet, but just not suited to modern footy and fast ball movement.

Your ruck division is now crud. Cameron came back to earth during finals, and he’s your main man with little quality back-up.

And I don’t rate the Pies forward line at all. I think 2022 saw some good cameos at times and a few teams were caught out by the variety, but it really is just very very average from a personnel perspective.

2022 saw the Pies catch most teams by surprise … you then built confidence and momentum from that - and had an extraordinary amount of luck to get your 10 out of 10 close wins or whatever it was.

As I said … a 60/40 ratio of close wins has you missing finals. This is more accurate to your season and prospects.

And Henry had a match winning effort against Freo and a few other little cameo’s. But moreso he showed enormous potential …. so who cares if he was out of the side late in the season. Shai Bolton was out of the Richmond team of late 2018 also. Henry is a big loss to an area of the ground the Pies are very weak in.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
You lost the PF by a point. How’d that team you lost to perform in the GF? And you got the Cattiwobbles in week 1 of finals … they were nervous as all get out which was clear to see and almost choked against you.

The Pies backline is very good, albeit with an ageing Howe a key cog.

Your midfield is very good but still relies very heavily on Pendlebury and Sidey, both on their last legs. And Mitchell is a ball magnet, but just not suited to modern footy and fast ball movement.

Your ruck division is now crud. Cameron came back to earth during finals, and he’s your main man with little quality back-up.

And I don’t rate the Pies forward line at all. I think 2022 saw some good cameos at times and a few teams were caught out by the variety, but it really is just very very average from a personnel perspective.

2022 saw the Pies catch most teams by surprise … you then built confidence and momentum from that - and had an extraordinary amount of luck to get your 10 out of 10 close wins or whatever it was.

As I said … a 60/40 ratio of close wins has you missing finals. This is more accurate to your season and prospects.

And Henry had a match winning effort against Freo and a few other little cameo’s. But moreso he showed enormous potential …. so who cares if he was out of the side late in the season. Shai Bolton was out of the Richmond team of late 2018 also. Henry is a big loss to an area of the ground the Pies are very weak in.
I don't think I've ever seen as much rubbish in one post as there is in this in all my time on BigFooty...

Wowee.

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think I've ever seen as much rubbish in one post as there is in this in all my time on BigFooty...

Wowee.

Whenever someone realises they’ve read something they have trouble debating they reply with : ‘Wowee’ or ‘Just wow’.

Is your ruck division looking good in 2023?

Is your midfield still reliant on some ageing stars? IIRC, Pendles started 2022 at half back… before he was needed back in the midfield.

Is your forward line a reliable force in 2023? Who would you back in to kick 40+ in 2023?

And do you think it’s likely you’ll win every close game again in 2023, or more likely split them or lose them (as you did when it mattered in finals).

Pies did amazingly well in 2022. When Tigers
smoked them by 6-goals mid-season I thought your team was in real trouble, and you surprised me big time. But looking at your list compared to quite a few others I can’t see you contending in 2023 as just too many holes in too many positions.

Back