Remove this Banner Ad

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
In honour of my good friend Cruyff14 who has started a few of these. And to settle a debate on the Spurs thread. Just where is this squad actually at?

How many of these players are starters at your club if you support a top 6 club? And if you don't, who do you think starts at most top 6 clubs? I think 5-6 at best might.

As a Spurs supporter it's quite annoying when you don't actually believe or like more than half your playing group.

For how much longer?

I checked your upcoming fixtures. Arsenal and City twice in the next 5 league matches. Holy crap. 😮

To answer your question. I think our back four of Shaw, Varane, Martinez and Dalot is very solid and I wouldn’t change any.
Casemiro and Eriksen are solid without being spectacular (although Casemiro has put in excellent performances), so could I see a Bissouma or Hojbjerg starting over either? It’s hard for me to say as I have seen our two being solid and at times, not so great. I know that Harry Kane would start for us, so it’s easier for me to say that. Son starts for us every other season but from what I have gathered, he hasn’t been great this season? But we have Antony who hasn’t been great and I have simply seen Son play excellently for years, so would start Son. Perisic? The the other day Garnacho started for us, he’s a good talent but I would start Perisic over him at the moment. Just more experienced. Then again, Rashford didn’t start and I would play him over Perisic. Goalkeeper? I think DDG and Lloris cancel each other out at the moment. I could go either way without any issue.

Last edited:
I checked your upcoming fixtures. Arsenal and City twice in the next 5 league matches. Holy crap. 😮
Mate. We'll struggle with Palace next up! If we don't get 3 points in that game and those 3 fixtures go as expected I can't see Conte being in charge end of this window

Is it a Levy thing? Is it a Conte thing? Is it the mentality at the club in general? It will be interesting to see if Conte lasts the season, I found his comments after the Villa game peculiar to say the least.

Things clearly do not keep working out. Spurs do not have many chumps on the books and can attract quality players, but for it to continuously go wrong, there has to be something bigger at play.

The poll is also hard - at present time I think only Kane gets into the Arsenal team. A few more probably start at the others in the big 6.

I love Kulesevski and Son too but this season, they aren't better than Saka and Martinelli, and I don't think many could argue with that.

Not sure any of your midfielders displace any of ours presently either. And let's not even bother with the defence and keeper.

Lloris is finished, he needs to be upgraded ASAP.

I guess for the starters at teams across the big 6, I would only say Kane, Son and Kule start at some of the clubs, depending on the club too.

With everyone fit they're probably a top 4-5 side, just had a lot of issues with injuries. Lloris needs replacing, as does a chunk of the defence though.
Some injuries are bad luck impact ones. Others are the clubs own doing due to over reliance and over use, because in contes words he had 13 players and now has 15.

Spurs have plenty of good players but aren't playing well as a team at the moment. Kane would definitely start and I'd play Son on the right side of attack for United. The others are a similar level to our current players or worse so I wouldn't swap them.

Looking at Spurs squad far and away their greatest strength is their attacking players, yet the 3 managers since Poch have played defensive football to various degrees. Feel like their long term squad members would really benefit from a more positive approach. Overall I think the squad does look better now than pre-Conte.

The results overall haven’t been that bad, but it feels like they’re a lot closer to a bad run then a good one. They’re also borderline unwatchable as a neutral.

Just Kane at Liverpool.

Son hasnt been very good this season from all reports. Usually I love him though but we have Diaz and now Gakpo wide. Jota too and with Son off the boil then right now I guess it's a no. Although Jota and Diaz are out long term and whatever funk Son is in I reckon Klopp could turn that around pronto.

But we are loaded in attacking areas really.

You could make a case for Bissouma or Hjoiberg considering our problems in midfield but im not starting either over Fabinho or Thiago, it's that third spot which is the problem. The thing is both those players if they played for us, we would be looking to upgrade on them anyways. They are in the same boat as our currents mids like Milner, Ox, Hendo, Keita etc... We're looking to upgrade so I wouldnt think either of those guys would drastically improve us.

So just Kane.

Just Kane at Liverpool.

Son hasnt been very good this season from all reports. Usually I love him though but we have Diaz and now Gakpo wide. Jota too and with Son off the boil then right now I guess it's a no. Although Jota and Diaz are out long term and whatever funk Son is in I reckon Klopp could turn that around pronto.

You could make a case for Bissouma or Hjoiberg considering our problems in midfield but im not starting either over Fabinho or Thiago, it's that third spot which is the problem. The thing is both those players if they played for us, we would be looking to upgrade on them anyways. They are in the same boat as our currents mids like Milner, Ox, Hendo, Keita etc... We're looking to upgrade so I wouldnt think either of those guys would drastically improve us.

So just Kane.

Assuming harry wants to leave - Chelsea or united I reckon.

Bayern nice fit too..
Missed the city boat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just Kane at Liverpool.

So just Kane.
Funny thing is neither Hojberg or Bissouma are anywhere near the level of which Bentancur has been out for us. If any of the 3 was a chance at any top 6 side it would be him

Funny thing is neither Hojberg or Bissouma are anywhere near the level of which Bentancur has been out for us. If any of the 3 was a chance at any top 6 side it would be him
🤷‍♂️

Our midfield needs an overhaul but I think what I'm trying to say is if Hojberg, Bissouma and Bentancur played for other clubs, I dont think they would be players we would be after if you get what I mean.

Spurs have plenty of good players but aren't playing well as a team at the moment. Kane would definitely start and I'd play Son on the right side of attack for United. The others are a similar level to our current players or worse so I wouldn't swap them.
Crossroads moment. 14 months into Conte with an option to extend for next season.
If the plan is to back Antonio then all good.

Year 1 into the project with Perisic, Kulusevski, Bentancur and Richarlison being a good start. Albeit some misses also, but who nails every transfer.
Focus on RWB, CB and CAM in the next two windows and see what happens.

Conte said pre-season and has stuck to it that they're not a serious team this season, and that's true.

But this is all on Levy. Back him and the project could work in 1-2 seasons.
Can easily see this being done on the cheaper options and fail because Conte needs quality. Levy 101.

As for this; grain of salt for JD. Means well but no scooby.

Interesting press conference from Conte where he spoke in almost jibberish. Said he was so pleased with our midfield and how well we played. Yet star striker Harry Kane didn't touch the ball until the 20th minute. In the words of Luke Darcy, say that again Antonio?

But also said our midfield lacks creativity and we don't have enough attackers in the squad to cover 3 injuries.

Best summation of the club under enic

"For a man who was so certain about the building of the billion pound stadium on Tottenham High Road, often micromanaging each little detail in every single room, Levy has flip-flopped between hugely contrasting ideas when it comes to on-pitch matters as if there is no plan.

He's appointed Glenn Hoddle, Jacques Santini, Martin Jol, Juande Ramos, Harry Redknapp, Andre Villas-Boas, briefly Tim Sherwood in what was barely more than a caretaker role, Pochettino, Jose Mourinho, Nuno Espirito Santo and now Conte.

That's 11 managers (or head coaches) in just over two decades, on average one every other year with the chairman the only non-variable the fans can understandably latch on to for criticism.

Levy has lurched repeatedly and awkwardly from a Borussia Dortmund-style club model of developing talented young players under a progressive young coach to misguided attempts to become a Poundland version of Chelsea with older, previously trophy-laden ex-Blues coaches at the helm who quickly found the stark difference between the two clubs meant the ability to succeed in the same way was obviously greatly reduced.

The rollercoaster that has been the recent Pochettino, Mourinho, Nuno and Conte era has provided the perfect illustration of a club without a clear idea of what it's doing from one year to the next. In his end of season messages Levy talks of Tottenham's DNA, but there's no real indication that anybody actually knows what that means.

Spurs are a club without trophies in the modern era but also have a state-of-the-art academy that does not seem to have a pathway to the first team any more. Clubs normally achieve at least one of those two things but Tottenham have remarkably managed to avoid both."

Crossroads moment. 14 months into Conte with an option to extend for next season.
If the plan is to back Antonio then all good.

Year 1 into the project with Perisic, Kulusevski, Bentancur and Richarlison being a good start. Albeit some misses also, but who nails every transfer.
Focus on RWB, CB and CAM in the next two windows and see what happens.

Conte said pre-season and has stuck to it that they're not a serious team this season, and that's true.

But this is all on Levy. Back him and the project could work in 1-2 seasons.
Can easily see this being done on the cheaper options and fail because Conte needs quality. Levy 101.

As for this; grain of salt for JD. Means well but no scooby.

You are the only person who mentioned Richarlison. Surely he would get games for any top 6 side? But the question is just a silly hypothetical. The squad is good enough for a top 6 position, it's about getting the best out of them.

A few players are out of form right now. Dier and Sessegnon started the season well but have dropped off. Son is a long way down from previous seasons - his only goals were when he came off the bench against Leicester. Kulusevski has had a few injuries which has held him back. Moura has been a handy back up player but he has had injury problems.

Spurs play City twice in the next few weeks and have a good recent record against them.

Back