Rules Should the stand rule be abolished?

Should the stand rule be abolished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s no reason to abolish it.

Scores haven’t dropped off. The game seems to be flowing a little better. Commentators are complaining less about the look of the game, during games, which makes watching on tv a little more tolerable.

It’s just another step in the ever evolving rules of AFL football. The person in the seat next will look to make their mark on the game with another rule change that will probably be more contentious.

No, but it should be relaxed slightly. A player in possession of the footy can act faster than the umpire is able to communicate.

If a player in possession feigns taking off and the player on the mark instinctively moves, that should be allowed.
We've seen in games where players exploit the lag time when the umpire hasn't yet called 'play on'.

Worst rule change in the games history. Completely alters the spectacle.
Forwards have added an extra 10 or so goals to their yearly tallies because of this rule.

I remember Rioli being a nightmare when a player took a mark at half forward and tried to pump it in quickly. Cyril would often be too damn quick and get there in time to impact the kick.
But I guess the AFL only wants to see more goals so I expect them to keep on manipulating rules in order to appease the masses.

Ostensibly my preference is it should be abolished.

The central problem in my view is that it is such a technical and fraught rule and the punishment in most cases leading to a goal significantly outweighs the crime. Similar to the 'protected zone' of about ten meters on each side of the player which is excessive and poorly applied by umpires in some cases (such as when a player is led into that zone by an opponent).

If it remains there definitely needs to be some tweaks in respect of leeway granted to players on the mark where players are feigning handballs or deviate significantly off the line of the mark.

It is also ridiculous that when shooting for goal a player can now basically gain an extra 10-15 metres by arcing around with the operation of the protected zone and the stand rule. Those shots from the pocket or 55m out are supposed to be difficult, not an opportunity to walk around to directly in front with no pressure.

Nothing annoys me more than these rules being exploited and costing goals when, in my view, things like dragging players down after marks or stopping players returning the ball to a player granted a free kick are bigger issues with the flow of the game that seem to have been granted a pass.

No, the stand rule and the ARC are the only things keeping Richmond from winning 27 premierships in a row, or so I've heard. It needs to remain for equalisation.
Nearly got it right,30 premierships.

Most ppl wouldn't even think twice about the rule if the umpires weren't constantly yelling it out.

One thing I found fascinating: when the man on the mark chose not to stand and ran back, sometimes leaving a good 20m of grass for the kicker. But there's so much going on in their head that they don't realise are still looking for someone to kick it sideways to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forwards have added an extra 10 or so goals to their yearly tallies because of this rule.

I remember Rioli being a nightmare when a player took a mark at half forward and tried to pump it in quickly. Cyril would often be too damn quick and get there in time to impact the kick.
But I guess the AFL only wants to see more goals so I expect them to keep on manipulating rules in order to appease the masses.
Um. What?

The stand rule helped make the game much more watchable.

I think it’s more that coach’s had seen Richmond and Melbourne win 4 of the last 5 flags playing surge, forward momentum football and knew if they wanted to contend, stagnant ‘kick/mark’ style was not going to cut it.

I believe that’s what has improved the general watchability, not the stand rule.

If I have to watch another player have a shot for
goal from 45m and be able to run around and kick it from basically next to the man on the mark ‘I’ll spew up!!’

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think it’s more that coach’s had seen Richmond and Melbourne win 4 of the last 5 flags playing surge, forward momentum football and knew if they wanted to contend, stagnant ‘kick/mark’ style was not going to cut it.

I believe that’s what has improved the general watchability, not the stand rule.

If I have to watch another player have a shot for
goal from 45m and be able to run around and kick it from basically next to the man on the mark ‘I’ll spew up!!’

Of course, it is all about Richmond :rolleyes:

I think 15m isn't enough really as players will happily take that if it gives their team another 10 seconds to setup defensively. I think a 30m penalty is a better idea.

50m works because the ground is (roughly) 3 x 50m, 15m should be a rough distance umpires already know given the bounce rules, 30m is just kind of awkward.

yep. ignoring what their supposed aim was for minute, the fact is it's horrendous to watch defenders just stuck standing there while players waltz by them under no pressure. there's nothing more boring in the game at the moment than an end to end play that only happens due to defenders being stuck due to the stand rule. commentators get paid to pretend it's amazing but it is garbage. it looks like a run at practice around training cones. can hardly watch a game without my team playing any more due to this s**t among the various other * ups by the AFL

Nah I like it, make the players able to take 1 step only in any direction except forward, reduce the 50m penalty to 25m and not make umpires say stand anymore. Too bad if the player is dumb it’s been around long enough now, he should know. Imo these changes would make it perfect.

Should this horrendous rule be removed?

And why or why not?

I don't mind if players move off the mark but in a straight line across the field or slightly backwards

running around on an arc is the issue and resolved by a 50m penalty (as it should be as this is effectively running over the mark)

Back