Opinion Are we on the verge of another period of dominance from teams not based in Melbourne?

Is the AFL about to be dominated by teams based outside of Melbourne?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course I care about my club.

If you put the shoe on the other foot what if it was the wafl that expanded? And all non wa fans were wishing mergers or culling of your team/s in the wafl?
You mean the wafl doing something 1st?

It would never happen, they follow, the supporters then follow, then they cry non stop.

First, and foremost, it is the AFL not the VFL and that brand was chosen by the powers that be.
Whatever the name is, it is based on the VFL - same league expanded.
Secondly, people do support the WAFL same as people support the VFL, probably with the same amount of enthusiasm.
So why all the whining about the current landscape? Seems like the wafl doesn't garner the same interest from West Aussies as the expanded VFL does.

Why not?
same as the Vic's watch AFL instead of VFL.
Because our clubs are in it.
here the problems are is the powerbrokers that be, who live in Victoria, don't like it when non Vic's take the cup away
Well I can speak for the vic fans as we're not concerned if non vics win the cup. I like it even more if a non vic team beats rich, carl or ess in the big one.

Def barracking for any team against the old enemies
It is not the Interstaters that need to change, they kept their part of the bargain.
They don't need to change, non vic fans need to accept what is or don't, up to you guys.
One nobody will win until there are more non vic teams and the weight of money will turn the tide.
That'll happen when you have the most of the market, not likely anytime soon, maybe not ever.

As expected you won't answer the question.

Why do you follow if you detest it so much?

Youre putting words in my mouth. I never said I detested it. All I said is the afl has vic bias which deters from it being a national comp.

You and the other bloke are sure over the top in your responses

Last edited:
Whatever the name is, it is based on the VFL - same league expanded.
Yep but still called AFL. Football is football, brands are brands VFL IS , WELL, VFL, different horses.
So why all the whining about the current landscape? Seems like the wafl doesn't garner the same interest from West Aussies as the expanded VFL does.

Why not?
You know perfectly well why not, you are now replying to just reply .
Because our clubs are in it.

Well I can speak for the vic fans as we're not concerned if non vics win the cup. I like it even more if a non vic team beats rich, carl or ess in the big one.
I call bullshit you cannot answer for Victorians, you are from Perth. Vic's hate it when we win one . I drove through Geelong in 92 when we won the cup and there was no love there believe me .
Def barracking for any team against the old enemies
Good on you.
They don't need to change, non vic fans need to accept what is or don't, up to you guys.

That'll happen when you have the most of the market, not likely anytime soon, maybe not ever.

That is unquestionable, it will happen.
We have gone from 1 to 8 in30 odd years.

Your putting words in my mouth. I never said I detested it. All I said is the afl has vic bias which deters from it being a national comp.

We're are trying to explain it to you, it's fairly simple, it has Vic bias because it's a Vic comp, all you do is cry about everything that is said to you.

It's very simple, follow a club in this Victorian comp or tell them to GAGF and go back and follow the WAFL, or SANFL or whoever until it's a true national comp.
But don't hold your breath, because the AFL know that the Vic clubs are the backbone of the comp and won't be changing any time soon.

We're are trying to explain it to you, it's fairly simple, it has Vic bias because it's a Vic comp, all you do is cry about everything that is said to you.

It's very simple, follow a club in this Victorian comp or tell them to GAGF and go back and follow the WAFL, or SANFL or whoever until it's a true national comp.
But don't hold your breath, because the AFL know that the Vic clubs are the backbone of the comp and won't be changing any time soon.

You get very emotive when you post and paint pictures that aren't there. It's really childish.

I call bullshit you cannot answer for Victorians, you are from Perth. Vic's hate it when we win one .
What crap.

You reckon the majority of Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, StK fans were cheering on the Pies in 2018 against the Eagles?

Once your team cant win it, most people then want an underdog to win and nobody wants a fierce cross town rival to win.

If Pies are no shot to win - it would be great if Freo could finally salute.
I drove through Geelong in 92 when we won the cup and there was no love there believe me .
Because the Eagles ******* beat Geelong. What a s**t take.

If you drove through most of Melbourne, especially inner east around Hawthorn, you would have received a great welcome as they love seeing the Cats suffer.

And if you drove down Smith St, Collingwood in 2018 there too would have been no love...but go to Lygon St (Carlton), Swan St (Richmond) or Buckley St (Essendon) and would have been champagne corks popping in bars and restaurants.

I think that's what i told you a while back didn't I?

Try being original.

No need. It's obviously apparent

All national sports start from somewhere. Imagine the NBA starting in New York and favouring both NY teams it wouldn't happen. When you call it a national sporting conference then all bias needs to be discarded. It's not a hard subject to grasp and you need to get off your high horse.

What crap.

You reckon the majority of Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, StK fans were cheering on the Pies in 2018 against the Eagles?

Once your team cant win it, most people then want an underdog to win and nobody wants a fierce cross town rival to win.

If Pies are no shot to win - it would be great if Freo could finally salute.

Because the Eagles ******* beat Geelong. What a s**t take.

If you drove through most of Melbourne, especially inner east around Hawthorn, you would have received a great welcome as they love seeing the Cats suffer.

And if you drove down Smith St, Collingwood in 2018 there too would have been no love...but go to Lygon St (Carlton), Swan St (Richmond) or Buckley St (Essendon) and would have been champagne corks popping in bars and restaurants.
We are down to selective answering now so i will bid you adieu DG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just another inane WA/SA belief that doesnt actually stack up.
There was a Herald Sun front page a few years back that promoted Vic teams start of the finals series.

That's often used as "evidence" of Viccos all.in it together

With all.d respect to you Dopple but if your Pies faced off v Port in a GF, id be in Ports corner
And dare I say you'd be same if it was Cats v a non Vic team

No need. It's obviously apparent

All national sports start from somewhere. Imagine the NBA starting in New York and favouring both NY teams it wouldn't happen. When you call it a national sporting conference then all bias needs to be discarded. It's not a hard subject to grasp and you need to get off your high horse.
See what I mean, there you go crying about what you are being told.

You are crying that it's too Vic biased, people are trying to tell you why, but then you cry about what they are telling you.

I can't tell you what to do, but maybe sport is not really for you.

So again, like in every similar thread, I keep asking the questions, and no one can answer it with any conviction.

Why do non vic supporters follow? Why not just snub the AFL and follow your state leagues?

Imagine if the public of WA and SA followed the state leagues, just imagine how big those leagues would be.

To all the pissed off, I say, vote with your feet and your remotes and restore the glory of the state leagues!
You like to say you can’t go back to the VFL because Collingwood only exist in the AFL, but expect Eagles or Adelaide fans to revert to the WAFL despite them only existing in the AFL. This is our league too. The hint is the A in AFL. It’s up to Victorians to realise times have changed.

With all.d respect to you Dopple but if your Pies faced off v Port in a GF, id be in Ports corner
And dare I say you'd be same if it was Cats v a non Vic team
Yep, that is the same for most Melbournians.

The WA/SA woe is us narrative is that Melbourne fans dont want WA teams to win is absolute nonsense.

Non-Vics seethe harder.

We had two years straight of practically NO games in Vic, including finals and the GF, and not a single interstate team made the Grand Final both years.

Don't like it? Start your own league.
We will with blackjack and hookers. Will be the most popular sports league in the world. Soccer what who?

It was a Victorian competition, it is now a national competition.

If Victorian bias exists in the AFL (which is a subjective viewpoint), it shouldn't. Else it's not a truly national competition.

It was a Victorian competition, it is now a national competition.

If Victorian bias exists in the AFL (which is a subjective viewpoint), it shouldn't. Else it's not a truly national competition.
All Australian elite "national" competitions are dominated by South East based teams.

Because, Australian "National" competitions all align with Australian population...the stakeholders.

Note that some "national" comps also included NZ teams.

NRL dont even bother with SA or WA teams
A-League 8 of 12 teams in NSW/Vic
Big Bash 4 of 8 teams in NSW/Vic
Super Netball 4 of 8 teams in NSW/Vic
NBL 4 of 10 In NSW/Vic

There is no bias against SA or WA it is just geography, they are remote cities with smaller populations.

Youre putting words in my mouth. I never said I detested it. All I said is the afl has vic bias which deters from it being a national comp.

It's biased and not national which you don't like, is that a better description of your ire?

Considering your ire, why do you follow?

Back