Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:

North Hobart and Glenorchy seem to be getting worse?
Roberts now gone from Pies. Heard their new recruit has left also.
North Hobart losing players to SANFL.

What can be done?

Dylan Riley was announced as a re-signing for Launceston only a month or two ago but was announced as a signing for Deloraine the other night. Deloraine have however since taken their post down, maybe Launceston are trying to keep him to his contract?
Alec Wright and Michael Stingel both off to Norwood and heard that Jack Tuthill and Jacob Boyd have signed at Hillwood.

Strange to think that the end of the licence agreement is only 9 months away. These 7 clubs don’t know what competition they will be playing in after that.

No noise at all about this. Surely the clubs need answers soon? As do the competitions below them?
At some point a decision needs to be made. Someone needs to lead.

Strange to think that the end of the licence agreement is only 9 months away. These 7 clubs don’t know what competition they will be playing in after that.

No noise at all about this. Surely the clubs need answers soon? As do the competitions below them?
At some point a decision needs to be made. Someone needs to lead.
Personally, I reckon it's a 50% chance at best it'll go ahead after the licence expires.
Clarence haven't won a flag in 12 years, North Hobart and Glenorchy going backwards at a rate of knots.
Lauderdale gave it a massive crack for years for no flag, Kingborough, apart from making this year's grand final have never looked like being successful.
I think the NTFA clubs will be the ones to rail against it the most with Launnie and North having to be included in their competition if TSL does fall over.

Personally, I reckon it's a 50% chance at best it'll go ahead after the licence expires.
Clarence haven't won a flag in 12 years, North Hobart and Glenorchy going backwards at a rate of knots.
Lauderdale gave it a massive crack for years for no flag, Kingborough, apart from making this year's grand final have never looked like being successful.
I think the NTFA clubs will be the ones to rail against it the most with Launnie and North having to be included in their competition if TSL does fall over.
I think it is dead and buried, but that is more gut than anything.

Whole reason the NTFA was re-structuring to 3 Divs, with to set it up for NL and Launnie to return. Tamar Cats screwed that up.

I think it is dead and buried, but that is more gut than anything.

Whole reason the NTFA was re-structuring to 3 Divs, with to set it up for NL and Launnie to return. Tamar Cats screwed that up.
Yep and also too, Clarence made statements some time ago that they intended on pulling out of the TSL unless a coastal club was added to the competition, not sure whether their intentions are still the same with that matter.
Burnie and Devonport won't be applying to rejoin anytime soon and this plot to included East Devonport, a club that hasn't even fielded a team in the NWFL for the past few years, is fanciful at best.
Unless the AFL stumps up much bigger funding for it to continue and make it some sort of carrot for intending players to want to join it (or stay involved in it), then it's really on a hiding to nothing.
Player retention is proving very difficult as we've seen, media interest is low, public interest is about as low as it can get, sponsorship dollars aren't there.
I'm with you, I have the gut feeling a lot of the southern clubs will pull the pin and go back to regional football purely to keep their clubs from going under.
I was told by someone high up in the SFL two years ago to be prepared for the return of the former state league clubs to the SFL as it will be a case of "not if, but when" they return.
Interesting times ahead. Both competitions struggling IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep and also too, Clarence made statements some time ago that they intended on pulling out of the TSL unless a coastal club was added to the competition, not sure whether their intentions are still the same with that matter.
Burnie and Devonport won't be applying to rejoin anytime soon and this plot to included East Devonport, a club that hasn't even fielded a team in the NWFL for the past few years, is fanciful at best.
Unless the AFL stumps up much bigger funding for it to continue and make it some sort of carrot for intending players to want to join it (or stay involved in it), then it's really on a hiding to nothing.
Player retention is proving very difficult as we've seen, media interest is low, public interest is about as low as it can get, sponsorship dollars aren't there.
I'm with you, I have the gut feeling a lot of the southern clubs will pull the pin and go back to regional football purely to keep their clubs from going under.
I was told by someone high up in the SFL two years ago to be prepared for the return of the former state league clubs to the SFL as it will be a case of "not if, but when" they return.

Very good post. Worth us all thinking about.

We all have a love of the game. Yes we are club people & 'hate the enemy clubs' ;) However, deep down we know we need each other. Perhaps the enemy is the apparent apathy & arrogance of the managers of the game here, AFL Tas.

Maybe thats not quite right, but what other conclusion can one make? What have they said or done over the last 5 years at least that would give reason to argue otherwise? They said they were blindsided by the Devonport/Burnie decision. How pathetic was that? The noises being made must have made the AFLTas aware of the problem. Willful ignorance, or maybe just indifference!! or simple incompetence?

The State league concept was always about opportunity. For players, clubs, supporters to have a better level of club football to work for, perhaps aspire to. The management has been abysmal from the leadership. Its been a pathetic rollercoaster since 1986.

Right now we're all waiting for the big decision over an AFL team. If it goes ahead, we'll get a VFL type team as well. to underpin that we'll still need a good level of competition. I think we saw that when we did have a VFL team not so long ago. Regional football was not up to that task. Yet it is still an important part of the whole footy structure.

I guess its about having a pyramid structure rather than a 'flag pole' structure. But who would know what AFLTas think. Indeed do they think? What do they care about? Who would know. They offer us nothing. How could anyone, any club or any player have confidence in what's to come for the game in Tasmania. Meanwhile all the clubs flounder about with no certainty.

Anyway, Merry to everyone.

Sums things up pretty well perfectly.

The original State League was the worst thing to ever happen to football in this state, IMO.

The old TANFL, NTFA, MWFU was such a strong setup, with strong competitions. I may be nostalgic, but I feel football was so much better back then.

I know a lot of the smaller comps probably were going to fold anyway, but I doubt we would be in the mess we were now.

I can still remember the 3 day, round robin those 3 comps used to host. Of course people WANTED to play rep footy back then.

(Sorry KP, went off on a tangent I fear)

Sums things up pretty well perfectly.

The original State League was the worst thing to ever happen to football in this state, IMO.

The old TANFL, NTFA, MWFU was such a strong setup, with strong competitions. I may be nostalgic, but I feel football was so much better back then.

I know a lot of the smaller comps probably were going to fold anyway, but I doubt we would be in the mess we were now.

I can still remember the 3 day, round robin those 3 comps used to host. Of course people WANTED to play rep footy back then.

(Sorry KP, went off on a tangent I fear)

Those days were great.

That was when dad worked monday to friday, mum stayed at home with the kids. Dad took us all to the footy.

All before weekend work, weekend shopping, the rise of AFL on TV.

The State league didn't cause all the social change that has affected all community sport.

I think the key reason as to why they went to a statewide football format in 1986, after talking about the concept of it as far back as around 1972, was the design to create a competition where all the state's best footballers would participate in the same competition week in, week out against each other.
Prior to 1986 you had the best coastal players only playing on the coast in the NWFU, best Northern players only playing in the NTFA and the best Southern players playing in the TANFL.

Those would only combine in interstate matches, or as in the case of the early 1980s, the TANFL, as the official governing body of the sport in the state at the time, ruled that players must play in the TANFL to be eligible to represent Tasmania, which as expected caused considerable uproar in the Northern half of the state.
And the state results at representative level were up and down.

Crowd attendances at roster matches in all three regions had fallen dismally in the ten years up to 1985 and the final straw was when Tasmania were smashed by Queensland in Brisbane in 1985 by almost 100 points and Tasmania was at risk of being demoted to a 'Developing Football State' status by the National Football Council should their results not improve.

I think the concept was a good one, the money, sponsorship, media, public and player interest was certainly very big at the time, the salary cap of each club by 1989/90 was $200,000 per-annum (about $470,000 in today's dollars) so it was easy to entice players to join the TFL.

The wheels really started falling off when the recession hit, crowds dropped, sponsor dollars dropped – Hobart won the flag in 1990 and lost both their major sponsors prior to 1991 owing to one experiencing tight financial issues, the other was bought out by an interstate firm who promptly decided against funding any sports teams in future.
And the cycle continued - I think by 1997 the statewide league was officially on death's door and should've been pulled then and there

The current TSL, although exciting when it first started, has been abysmally mismanaged into the ground from day one and hasn't got any better.
The loss of TV coverage was a big problem that AFL Tas should've acted on but didn't effectively, the crowds while initially quite good have been in freefall for years now, the fact that this year's grand final only pulled 2,000 people is a clear sign of a lack of interest, not to mention the continuously lopsided nature of it.
The lack of leadership is the major kicker - there ISN'T any leadership.
I've been around the barn awhile now, and I have to say, I actually don't know a single person that attends TSL matches even casually.

From a personal perspective, I'd like to see the North's, the Glenorchy's, the Clarence's return to playing at local level again, I cannot get even slightly enthused about playing Cygnet or Huonville or Sorell or Dodges or one of these mobs.
But, I guess we'll know in about a year's time 👍

I think the key reason as to why they went to a statewide football format in 1986, after talking about the concept of it as far back as around 1972, was the design to create a competition where all the state's best footballers would participate in the same competition week in, week out against each other.
Prior to 1986 you had the best coastal players only playing on the coast in the NWFU, best Northern players only playing in the NTFA and the best Southern players playing in the TANFL.

Those would only combine in interstate matches, or as in the case of the early 1980s, the TANFL, as the official governing body of the sport in the state at the time, ruled that players must play in the TANFL to be eligible to represent Tasmania, which as expected caused considerable uproar in the Northern half of the state.
And the state results at representative level were up and down.

Crowd attendances at roster matches in all three regions had fallen dismally in the ten years up to 1985 and the final straw was when Tasmania were smashed by Queensland in Brisbane in 1985 by almost 100 points and Tasmania was at risk of being demoted to a 'Developing Football State' status by the National Football Council should their results not improve.

I think the concept was a good one, the money, sponsorship, media, public and player interest was certainly very big at the time, the salary cap of each club by 1989/90 was $200,000 per-annum (about $470,000 in today's dollars) so it was easy to entice players to join the TFL.

The wheels really started falling off when the recession hit, crowds dropped, sponsor dollars dropped – Hobart won the flag in 1990 and lost both their major sponsors prior to 1991 owing to one experiencing tight financial issues, the other was bought out by an interstate firm who promptly decided against funding any sports teams in future.
And the cycle continued - I think by 1997 the statewide league was officially on death's door and should've been pulled then and there

The current TSL, although exciting when it first started, has been abysmally mismanaged into the ground from day one and hasn't got any better.
The loss of TV coverage was a big problem that AFL Tas should've acted on but didn't effectively, the crowds while initially quite good have been in freefall for years now, the fact that this year's grand final only pulled 2,000 people is a clear sign of a lack of interest, not to mention the continuously lopsided nature of it.
The lack of leadership is the major kicker - there ISN'T any leadership.
I've been around the barn awhile now, and I have to say, I actually don't know a single person that attends TSL matches even casually.

From a personal perspective, I'd like to see the North's, the Glenorchy's, the Clarence's return to playing at local level again, I cannot get even slightly enthused about playing Cygnet or Huonville or Sorell or Dodges or one of these mobs.
But, I guess we'll know in about a year's time 👍

Given that the last time the TSL was killed off & the VFL team started, the SFL were quite vindictive towards the returning teams.

The Northern teams didn't face the same level of vitriol when rejoining their local leagues.

Given that, I'd suggest the 5 southern TSL teams might play in their own league.

Hopefully, if the TSL is once again killed off, the SFL will show some sense this time & act to benefit football, not just display their immature side yet again.

Those days were great.

That was when dad worked monday to friday, mum stayed at home with the kids. Dad took us all to the footy.

All before weekend work, weekend shopping, the rise of AFL on TV.

The State league didn't cause all the social change that has affected all community sport.

This.

The TSL isn’t like the old days with big crowds because the world has changed. Saying that ‘footy was better’ and the teams/players were better back in the day is very naive. Players now are fitter, faster and far more skilled than they have ever been. Maybe not as old or as so called ‘tough’.

If the TSL dies then it will be a sad day for Tassie footy. It’s going that way because there is no certainty about what is happening. But if it goes back to regional we are moving further away from an AFL team. Keep the best players playing in the best comp, all striving to make themselves and their footy clubs better.

What other SFL clubs are going to want to play against the TSL clubs? I’ll save you the time - zero. Why go from being a dominant team to losing by 100+ points each week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This.

The TSL isn’t like the old days with big crowds because the world has changed. Saying that ‘footy was better’ and the teams/players were better back in the day is very naive. Players now are fitter, faster and far more skilled than they have ever been. Maybe not as old or as so called ‘tough’.

If the TSL dies then it will be a sad day for Tassie footy. It’s going that way because there is no certainty about what is happening. But if it goes back to regional we are moving further away from an AFL team. Keep the best players playing in the best comp, all striving to make themselves and their footy clubs better.

What other SFL clubs are going to want to play against the TSL clubs? I’ll save you the time - zero. Why go from being a dominant team to losing by 100+ points each week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd say that getting an AFL team bears no relationship to the situation of local football. ie the Sydney FL & QAFL were never considered when the Swans & Bears were started. Therefore, the situation of the TSL or Regional football matters not to the powers that be when considering forming an AFL team. Its not a bottom up development, its a top down development. ie put the AFL team in & everything gets restructured underneath it.

The last demise of the TSL to make way for the Devils VFL team showed the value of the TSL. even just to underpin the Devils. I'm not confident the current AFLTas even know that lesson. They don't seem to be able to remember or learn anything. Is that a function of arrogance & ignorance?

Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us with some actual interest in Tasmanian football. That'd be amazing in itself.

I'd say that if we get the AFL team & VFL team, we'll still need some sort of TSL to help players/umpires develop here. But who knows.

AFLTAS needs to pull SFL into line if TSL falls over.
Two divisions of 7 teams with promotion and relegation.
Why is this so hard? Means clubs play against teams akin to themselves more often.

Any news out of the meeting regarding Glenorchy's future?
According to the news last night the club has 41 contracted players across their senior and development league squads but is in danger of not being able to field a development league side, which is against the TSL requirements.
Aaron Cornelius stated that the club would have strong sides from Auskick through to Under 18s and had employed Jack Hale as their fitness coach but that numbers had begun to drop at training in recent times, prompting a call to arms in order to get player numbers up in order to be able to field two complete sides as required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back