Collingwood-Richmond, is it a one way or two way rivalry?

Dec 26, 2022
Cork
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton Cork GAA Montreal Canadiens
No, I hate Carlton more. Apart from our recent flags, nothing has given me greater joy regarding footy than seeing your club suffer for almost 30 years.

I was on the pie's bandwagon in your last game. That result was good for football.
I consider Collingwood and Essendon to be bigger rivals to us than Richmond. Maybe when/if you get to 16 flags that may change who knows.

Your own club went through it's own period of failure and suffering. We're currently going on twenty eight years without a flag, while you lot had to wait for thirty seven years. Periods of success and failure in sport tend to come and go in cycles.

Dec 26, 2022
Cork
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Doesn't change my post.

In the past 21 seasons:
Collingwood 37 finals games
Richmond 16 finals games
Essendon 12 finals games
Carlton 6 finals games

Pies have played more finals than the other 3 teams combined.

o_Oo_Oo_O
Meh the numbers that matter the most are the amount of flags you have, and ourselves and Essendung have sixteen, Collingwood have fifteen and Richmond have thirteen.

If you include victorian era/VFA flags, then you'll find that Carlton have twenty two flags in total, Bombers have twenty and the Pies sixteen. In terms of which club is the greatest in the history of footy, it's between ourselves and the Bombers. No one else is in the running imo.

Last edited:
Meh the numbers that matter the most are the amount of flags you have, and ourselves and Essendung have sixteen, Collingwood have fifteen and Richmond have thirteen.

If you include victorian era/VFA flags, then you'll find that Carlton have twenty two flags in total, Bombers have twenty and the Pies sixteen. In terms of which club is the greatest in the history of footy, it's between ourselves and the Bombers. No one else is in the running imo.

Out of curiousity— how many of those 16 have you watched live?

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I consider Collingwood and Essendon to be bigger rivals to us than Richmond. Maybe when/if you get to 16 flags that may change who knows.

Your own club went through it's own period of failure and suffering. We're currently going on twenty eight years without a flag, while you lot had to wait for thirty seven years. Periods of success and failure in sport tend to come and go in cycles.

Stay iane your lane Irish. :)

Since Richmond entered the VFL in 1908 it is:

14 Carlton Essendon

13 Richmond Collingwood.

Since Richmond had a reaonable period of adjustment to the competition, when they first made finals - other than automatically in the 4 team competition in 1916 - in 1919, it is:

13 Richmond 😎

12 Messendon

11 Filth Bluepers

Domination during a period the strongest club is excluded from the competition is not really much to be boasting about Irish. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best, and on he biggest stage. Since Richmond enter the VFL, the finals record from 49 encounters with the peloton clubs Bombers, Pies, Blues is 30 wins 18 losses our way.

And v the Bluepers it is carnage. 16w v 6l. You had a stretch of 14 consecutive finals series dating from 1921 in there where we outscored you, that was only broken in 2013 by the final you did not even qualify for. What I will grant your otherwise hilarious club is you are the only team to beat us in a Grand Final in the last 78 seasons since Fitzroy managed it in 1944. How you are 2-2 in Grand Finals against us in that time is incredible, but you stand at 2-4 overall on that score so I wouldn’t get too excited Irish.

Anyway, we humble Richmond supporters hate talking about our 123 year supremacy over the peloton clubs such as yourselves, but I thought we better bring you back to reality with some relevant facts. :D

14 Carlton Essendon

13 Richmond Collingwood.

Since Richmond had a reaonable period of adjustment to the competition, when they first made finals - other than automatically in the 4 team competition in 1916 - in 1919, it is:

13 Richmond 😎

12 Messendon

11 Filth Bluepers

Domination during a period the strongest club is excluded from the competition is not really much to be boasting about Irish. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best, and on he biggest stage. Since Richmond enter the VFL, the finals record from 49 encounters with the peloton clubs Bombers, Pies, Blues is 30 wins 18 losses our way.

And v the Bluepers it is carnage. 16w v 6l. You had a stretch of 14 consecutive finals series dating from 1921 in there where we outscored you, that was only broken in 2013 by the final you did not even qualify for. What I will grant your otherwise hilarious club is you are the only team to beat us in a Grand Final in the last 78 seasons since Fitzroy managed it in 1944. How you are 2-2 in Grand Finals against us in that time is incredible, but you stand at 2-4 overall on that score so I wouldn’t get too excited Irish.

Anyway, we humble Richmond supporters hate talking about our 123 year supremacy over the peloton clubs such as yourselves, but I thought we better bring you back to reality with some relevant facts. :D
drivel

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond

That's fair. But Essendon have had very little to do with your many GF's, at least in my lifetime. 1993 was one, and then there was the classic 1999 PF, but have there been many other massive Blues-Bombers contests over the years?

For me, I grew up with 1972, 1973 and 1982 GF's, not to mention all of the other classic finals encounters between Carton and Richmond. I'm sure the Pies fans can ditto that with all of the massive Collingwood/Carton finals. Anyone over the age of 50 recognises the respective histories of the Carlton/Collingwood and Carlton/Richmond rivalries.

Essendon were a huge team in the mid-80's until early-00's, but I think they had a bigger rivalry with Collingwood and Hawthorn during that time, and then Geelong, West Coast, North and Carlton were next level down.

But if rivalries just come down to counting premierships like you say, then it's a more a mathematical rivalry than a truly passionate one. Melbourne have won the same number of flags as us and we have virtually no rivalry with them.

Dec 26, 2022
Cork
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams

14 Carlton Essendon

13 Richmond Collingwood.

13 Richmond 😎

12 Messendon

11 Filth Bluepers

Meh your post doesn't change the fact that Carlton and the crowd from Windy Hill, are the two most historically successful clubs in the AFL and i have the stats and the numbers to underpin my argument. Hawthorn will get to sixteen flags before Richmond imo. The Hawks are by far the greatest club of the modern era.

I see Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood and Melbourne as the real historical powerhouses of the competition. With regards to the modern era i see Hawthorn as the most successful club. Thirteen flags since 1961, a flag in every decade since the 60's, and the Hawks have more AFL branded premierships than any other club as well. So yes you better stay in your lane indeed!

Oh and one more thing, we actually outscore you in flags won during the years 1967 - 1982. You won five flags in that time period 1967 1969 1973 1974 and 1980, and we won six flags in that era 1968 1970 1972 1979 1981 and 1982. Put that in your pipe and smoke it buddy!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022
Cork
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
That's fair. But Essendon have had very little to do with your many GF's, at least in my lifetime. 1993 was one, and then there was the classic 1999 PF, but have there been many other massive Blues-Bombers contests over the years?

For me, I grew up with 1972, 1973 and 1982 GF's, not to mention all of the other classic finals encounters between Carton and Richmond. I'm sure the Pies fans can ditto that with all of the massive Collingwood/Carton finals. Anyone over the age of 50 recognises the respective histories of the Carlton/Collingwood and Carlton/Richmond rivalries.

Essendon were a huge team in the mid-80's until early-00's, but I think they had a bigger rivalry with Collingwood and Hawthorn during that time, and then Geelong, West Coast, North and Carlton were next level down.

But if rivalries just come down to counting premierships like you say, then it's a more a mathematical rivalry than a truly passionate one. Melbourne have won the same number of flags as us and we have virtually no rivalry with them.
The Carlton and Essendon rivalry sort of only took off, when Essendon appointed Kevin Sheedy as coach. Before that we seemed to have a bigger rivalry with Collingwood and Richmond. Weirdly enough the Bombers haven't won a finals game without Sheedy as coach since 1968.

We did beat Essendon in the 1908 grand final to win the three in a row. We beat them with a last second goal in the 1947 grand final, and beat them in the 1968 grand final to start the clubs greatest ever era of success. They beat us in the 1949 1962 and 1993 grand finals as well. So Carlton do have bit of a grand final history with the Bombers.

Last edited:

Selfield

Debutant
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s tamed down.

Probably huge in the 20’s

Restarted in the 60 and into 80’s but always second fiddle to both teams feuding with Carlton.

Now it’s Geelong (despite both supporters denying it).
Richmond and Gold Coast have the makings of a rivalry. They've played several classics against each other and seem to be middle of the road teams on a similar level to each other.

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
Richmond and Gold Coast have the makings of a rivalry. They've played several classics against each other and seem to be middle of the road teams on a similar level to each other.
You might be right…. Although these middle of the road teams might just play each other in the Finals this year…

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
All our "rivalries" are one-way

We're the biggest club with the most supporters and have won the most games and in front of the largest attendances and the other 17 clubs are just insanely jealous
Yeah, I'm really cut up I chose Richmond as my team. Spewing I didn't choose Collingwood.

FFS, I missed out on:
1964 GF loss by under a kick.
1966 GF loss by under a kick.
1970 GF loss after being 44 points up at half time.
1973 Prelim loss after being 45 points up mid way through the second quarter, only to be beaten by a bloke on one leg.
1977 GF draw after being 27 points up at 3/4 time against an opponent who was goalless for 2 quarters, only to get pants the following week.
1979 GF loss after leading Carlton 5.6.36 to 0.7.7 at the 20 minute mark of the 2nd quarter on a bog, only to walk into the dressing rooms at half time down!! Then losing by 5 points. George Harris was right.
1980 GF loss. Save the embarrassment.
1981 GF loss when 21 points up at the 28 minute mark of the 3rd quarter against Carlton. Pants again!!

By the time 1990 had come around I'd have been in the same deluded state you find yourself in now.

The only emotion I feel toward Collingwood is pity. Pity for those young lads of my vintage at the time who misguidedly chose Collingwood. Only to have their developmental, teenage and early adult years destroyed by heartache and envy of both Richmond and Carlton.

Carlton is Richmond's biggest rival. Conversely, Collingwood is Richmond's greatest source of mirth.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
How do neutrals see the Collingwood-Richmond rivalry? Is it a genuine two way rivalry that runs both ways, or is it a one way rivalry?

I ask this because it seems like it's mostly a one way rivalry from Richmond's end, while Collingwood don't seem to care about Richmond as much as Richmond care about Collingwood.

Collingwood has a few opponents at the top of its list, and Richmond is up there just behind Essendon and Carlton. But you’re right, lots of other teams seem to think they are great rivals to Collingwood. They all need to take a number and form an orderly queue because we are largely indifferent to the rest of them.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
I love this concept that you actually get to "choose your team"....lol...so which kid do you reckon is gonna be choosing a bottom dweller for his / her team?
In our family you got born into it: I'm 3rd generation, my grandkids are 5th generation Magpies. There's no if's no buts, if you want to go to the footy, you're barracking for the Pies!

Love the Maso Tiger trying to re-birth the "Colliwobbles"....mate we were there when Louie Richards coined the phrase. Yeah we did lose all those close GF's but only one of those (1970) did we actually have a better side than our opposition...and we played 2 men down for most of the second half in that one.

But the Colliwobbles were put to bed in 1990 and they haven't existed (if they ever did) since then.

Collingwood supporters don't really have rivalries with other clubs because we see you all equally. Since the days of our inception as a club its been "US against Youse all".....

If you're talking bogey teams then the VFL/AFL actually did us a favour by translocating Fitzroy. For some reason those Royboys always punched above their weight and I always was uneasy playing the Roys....but everyone else, and particularly these days....we hate everyone equally!

The media like to promote Rivalry, but to most of the AFL audience these days the game, venues and spectator groups have been sufficiently sanitised to dissipate the rivalries (no matter how some people on here like to beat it up).

I will NEVER forgive Jimmy O'Dea for what he did to Johnny Greening in 1972, but in terms of clubs and rival supporters...to me you're all against us!

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
I love this concept that you actually get to "choose your team"....lol...so which kid do you reckon is gonna be choosing a bottom dweller for his / her team?
In our family you got born into it: I'm 3rd generation, my grandkids are 5th generation Magpies. There's no if's no buts, if you want to go to the footy, you're barracking for the Pies!
Totally mate. I told my kids they could pick their religion, their political party and their sexuality, but they're barracking for Richmond.

None of this "friend at school goes to Bulldogs matches" or "favourite Aunty Bev bought me a Saints scarf" gobshyte.

You're doing the right thing. Sound parenting (despite the questionable colours :tearsofjoy:).

Dec 26, 2022
Cork
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Yeah, I'm really cut up I chose Richmond as my team. Spewing I didn't choose Collingwood.

FFS, I missed out on:
1964 GF loss by under a kick.
1966 GF loss by under a kick.
1970 GF loss after being 44 points up at half time.
1973 Prelim loss after being 45 points up mid way through the second quarter, only to be beaten by a bloke on one leg.
1977 GF draw after being 27 points up at 3/4 time against an opponent who was goalless for 2 quarters, only to get pants the following week.
1979 GF loss after leading Carlton 5.6.36 to 0.7.7 at the 20 minute mark of the 2nd quarter on a bog, only to walk into the dressing rooms at half time down!! Then losing by 5 points. George Harris was right.
1980 GF loss. Save the embarrassment.
1981 GF loss when 21 points up at the 28 minute mark of the 3rd quarter against Carlton. Pants again!!

By the time 1990 had come around I'd have been in the same deluded state you find yourself in now.

The only emotion I feel toward Collingwood is pity. Pity for those young lads of my vintage at the time who misguidedly chose Collingwood. Only to have their developmental, teenage and early adult years destroyed by heartache and envy of both Richmond and Carlton.

Carlton is Richmond's biggest rival. Conversely, Collingwood is Richmond's greatest source of mirth.
The Pies still won 4 flags in a row. They generally are a very competitive club, usually making finals and grand finals etc, but they do have a serious problem producing the goods on grand final day.

Still though the Pies were the most successful club in the land for over 50 years, and they still have 2 more flags than Richmond.

I hate Collingwood as much as anyone, but only an idiot would dispute their status as a footballing institution. They have a bigger fanbase than Richmond as well imo. Of course Tigers fans would say otherwise, but i think most neutrals recognise Collingwood as the club with the largest support base.

Dec 26, 2022
Cork
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Back