Prediction 2023 - Best 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Noble's not bad, but is he the best player available. A good 2022 campaign does not necessarily justify round one selection.

Unless he gets injured, I expect Noble to play every game in 2023.

I think you are massively underestimating his impact and importance to our game plan - particularly in terms of the speed and directness of ball movement.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think you are massively underestimating his impact and importance to our game plan - particularly in terms of the speed and directness of ball movement.

My problem I'm having with the round one team is that there are so many players who could play. Selections going to be ruthless this year and a far cry from the 2021 season when it seemed almost anyone who showed anything could get a game.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that the backline is going to be all based on interception, with everyone expected to close up on his man when the situation calls for it. Our problem last year was that we were one really tall backman short, and the likes of Howe and Maynard had to man up on the likes of J. Cameron and S. Reid. They made it to where they had to be, but were not big enough on too many occasions. I think this because of the recruitment of both Frampton and Dean. They are big enough, but are intercepting players in essence.

Murphy's spot is in danger because he is the same sort of player but shorter. The other two will have to attack the ball with a lot of purpose to force him out though - he is hard to beat in that department.

Howe is in rather less danger because of his ground play and his kicking, rather than his marking which is his elite attribute of course.

I expect that Daicos will go on ball, but would not be surprised if he changes with Pendlebury off the half back flank, staying on the ground a lot more than most on ballers. That would present a real problem for the opposition defensive forward. Both are fit enough for this.

Noble, Maynard, Moore and Quaynor would be the other backs most of the time. This is a very attacking back line.

People who are down on Howe are going to be embarrassed by him next year imo, another preseason under his belt since the knee and confidence back up as well as likely not being asked to play undersized will see him back to his best.
I would lpve to see Howe have a great 2023, he has been a fantastic and exciting player for the pies. At the same time I thought Murphy had a decent 2022 and was the likely successor to Howe in the future. My concern is push Murphy out and less game into a future player. I wonder if this defines some of the challenges in 2023, possibly 2024, in selection. We need to change the guard but simultaneously our potential as a contender.

My problem I'm having with the round one team is that there are so many players who could play. Selections going to be ruthless this year and a far cry from the 2021 season when it seemed almost anyone who showed anything could get a game.

For sure! Whomever does miss out will be stiff but it’s good to have healthy competition for spots

For sure! Whomever does miss out will be stiff but it’s good to have healthy competition for spots
Best 23 last year was easy (sans Grundy and Henry) because we didn't bat much deeper than that, but now with kids stepping up and five age ready recruits (counting Richards) we have a real squad of players you'd be happy to take into battle

Quaynor Moore Daicos
Maynard Howe Murphy

Cox Lipinski Pendlebury
Daicos Crisp Sidebottom

Hoskin Mihocek De Goey
Elliott Cameron Ginnivan

Noble Adams McCreery Johnson Krueger

Last edited:
Best 23 last year was easy (sans Grundy and Henry) because we didn't bat much deeper than that, but now with kids stepping up and five age ready recruits (counting Richards) we have a real squad of players you'd be happy to take into battle

Quaynor Moore Daicos
Maynard Howe Murphy

Cox Lipinski Pendlebury
Daicos Crisp Sidebottom

Hoskin Mihocek De Goey
Elliott Cameron Ginnivan

Yeah, I reckon this year anyone in this team would be worthy of selection. It'll make for some interesting selection, but also will make everyone compeitive as if you perform poorly, they'll be someone on your heels to take your spot.

Quaynor Moore Daicos
Maynard Howe Murphy

Cox Lipinski Pendlebury
Daicos Crisp Sidebottom

Hoskin Mihocek De Goey
Elliott Cameron Ginnivan

And that's why we targeted those players - because they would challenge for spots and drive standards. That's what any clubs wants to see out of players.

I myself am not the biggest fan of his but it's what he brings to our game plan and besides who would we replace him with?
Ruscoe?
Wilson?
Quaynor and Nick Daicos work well with him off half back

Last edited:
B: IQ Frampton Maynard
HB: Howe Moore Pendlebury
C: J Daicos Crisp N Daicos
HF: Johnson Mihocek Hill
F: Elliott McStay Ginnivan

Foll: Cox De Goey Mitchell
Int: Allan Murphy Adams Krueger Carmichael
Em: Macrae Noble Lipinski Harrison

B: IQ Frampton Maynard
HB: Howe Moore Pendlebury
C: J Daicos Crisp N Daicos
HF: Johnson Mihocek Hill
F: Elliott McStay Ginnivan

Foll: Cox De Goey Mitchell
Int: Allan Murphy Adams Krueger Carmichael
Em: Macrae Noble Lipinski Harrison
Good luck to you if you honestly think Hill will knock Lipinski out of the squad!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Krueger is our second ruck. He'll maintain our height in the forward line whilst McStay chops out Cox/Cameron. If Krueger doesn't play i reckon both Cox and Cameron play and McStay is a permanent forward.

Last edited:
I don't think Krueger is out second ruck. He'll maintain our height in the forward line whilst McStay chops out Cox/Cameron. If Krueger doesn't play i reckon both Cox and Cameron play and McStay is a permanent forward.

He was pretty impressive in that Sydney final with the energy he brought through the midfield. I think he could easily fill that role. If him and McStay are to play in the same team (assuming Johnson keeps his spot) you'd think one of them will need to cop out Cameron in the ruck.

B: Howe Frampton Noble
HB: IQ Moore Maynard
C: JDaicos De Goey NDaicos
HF : Ginavin Mc Stay Sidebottom
F: Elliot Miocheck Mcreedy / Hill
R: Cameron Mitchell Crisp

Int : Pendles, Adams, Lipinski, Murphy. ( Hill/ Mcreedy.

Depth: Cox, WHE, Carmichael, Johnson, Dean, Harrison, Krueger, Macrae .

Good luck to you if you honestly think Hill will knock Lipinski out of the squad!
Im kidnapping Lipinski and taking him to my dungeon to replace Josh Schache

He may be a little indisposed.

In all seriousness you guys seem to treat the squad as fully interchangeable which is bonkers. I look at positions and make a call.

1) The Lipinski call is based on a belief we only can afford/need 2 of Adams, Mitchell and Lipinski and I take the first two.

2) McCreery is v Hill, and I think Hill has more offensive power than McCreery but acknowledge its a tight call

3) The ruck call is Cox as best ruck with McStay providing a chop out and Krueger across half forward. I have no idea why Allan comes into that conversation at all.

4) Allan given his disposal in mature body I have initially performing the role of N Daicos in 2022 an option coming out of the backline where I think he will prove great drive.

5) Yep, tough call, I think we have gone beyond what Sidey brings in 2023. I think he's cooked and has gone on one year too long.

Happy for anyone to debate my calls, but the comparisons drawn are just weird

Correct ammundo, I don’t even bother replying, clueless some are

I understand why Howe or Murphy are not considered lock down full backs… they simply lack the kgs and reach

But don’t understand how you are so confident that an athletic 200cm , 99kg Frampton cannot lockdown on say… 199cm, 100kg Tom Lynch??

I mean lockdown full back is a far easier position to play at Frampton’s size.. than the interception half back role he was playing at the crows

I’m confident the pies head hunted him so early because they know that with sone further coaching and experience… Frampton can transform in to a solid full back like Roughead did

Now that McAsey has retired… I bet the crows are rueful they didn’t keep Frampton

I understand why Howe or Murphy are not considered lock down full backs… they simply lack the kgs and reach

But don’t understand how you are so confident that an athletic 200cm , 99kg Frampton cannot lockdown on say… 199cm, 100kg Tom Lynch??

I mean lockdown full back is a far easier position to play at Frampton’s size.. than the interception half back role he was playing at the crows

I’m confident the pies head hunted him so early because they know that with sone further coaching and experience… Frampton can transform in to a solid full back like Roughead did

Now that McAsey has retired… I bet the crows are rueful they didn’t keep Frampton
Point taken , granted he has the height , strength required for the big forwards , but at this stage , he has not shown enough to be classified as a lockdown defender , but just as you have pointed out , the coaching staff see something in him that can be worked on and improved. We await for the proof in the pudding come season 2023. If he can raise the bar to what the coaches want from him , all power to him and Collingwood get their desired outcome .

In all seriousness you guys seem to treat the squad as fully interchangeable which is bonkers. I look at positions and make a call.

1) The Lipinski call is based on a belief we only can afford/need 2 of Adams, Mitchell and Lipinski and I take the first two.

2) McCreery is v Hill, and I think Hill has more offensive power than McCreery but acknowledge its a tight call

3) The ruck call is Cox as best ruck with McStay providing a chop out and Krueger across half forward. I have no idea why Allan comes into that conversation at all.

4) Allan given his disposal in mature body I have initially performing the role of N Daicos in 2022 an option coming out of the backline where I think he will prove great drive.

5) Yep, tough call, I think we have gone beyond what Sidey brings in 2023. I think he's cooked and has gone on one year too long.

Happy for anyone to debate my calls, but the comparisons drawn are just weird
Lipinski doesn't belong in the bracket, does he? His game is about making it to heaps of contests and providing some polish by foot, whereas the other two are winning it at the coalface and feeding it out to runners. Surely we're questioning whether we need two of those types before dropping Lipinski?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back