Players you thought were going to be elite but never got there

Remove this Banner Ad

Issac Heeney.

Still has time but I am not confident he can ever become consistent enough to be considered elite. When he is at his best he is unstoppable in ways few players are but the next game or even the next quarter he can disappear entirely.
We'd be happy to take him off your hands for a future 4th?

From my (our) own club I had high hopes of Brent Prismall becoming elite, but he proved to be a guy who looked good in a good team. A player from another club I always thought would make the elite status but never has (so far) is Dylan Shiel, his young days at the Giants had me thinking he’d be a gun, but IMO he’s underperformed massively these past few seasons.
Prismall was the first name that came to me too and I don’t even follow Geelong.

For a while in around 2006 he looked like one of the the most promising mids in your collection

Jake Stringer. Was really good for one year as a forward, and plays some good games each contract year but can drop off at times.

Big Bas Zempalis. Absolute jet for West Perth, unfortunately liked the amber fluid a little too much, otherwise could have seen him playing in the Big League. Although went on to higher honours, becoming Mayor of Perth.

View attachment 1587239
I would have thought the knee to the throat in a ruck contest by former Number 1 pick Stephen Hooper derailed his footy career more than the booze.

I thought Stephen Hill at Freo was gonna be a superstar early on, seem to recall there was a bit of buzz about him in the first few years of his career.

Justin Westhoff early days looked the goods, 4. goals on debut as a bean pole key forward.

Hamish Hartlett was a great servant and played some elite games, but probably didn't live up to expectations when he was drafted.

Chad Wingard also felt he was destined to be an all time great but he's kind of fizzled out in to just an okay to good player.

This thread is made for all the GWS first rounders who have asked for trades to Carlton or Essendon.
Literally 2 have been traded to Essendon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jayden Stephenson. Been plenty of other players who have won the rising star and haven't kicked on.

Jayden Stephenson. Been plenty of other players who have won the rising star and haven't kicked on.
Stephenson's problem Is he's as soft as a pensioners turd.

Daniel Menzel with an absolute bullet. Had all the makings of being the next Stevie J with better overhead marking, but all his ACL's and other injuries completely derailed his career and put paid to that. Could have been anything. Still makes me sad thinking about it, given just how talented and freakish he was to watch in his first few seasons.

The betting thing ****ed him mentally. The week before that suspension he dominated against St Kilda. Was never the same again
That's a good point you raise.

Going back, Nathan Thompson for Hawthorn.
For a few seasons from mid way through 1999 I thought that at times he looked like becoming one of the best in the competition as a key forward / occasional ruck.
Of course, his mental health battles would have contributed in large part to his decline as a player, remembering that he was one of the first to publicly declare his struggles while still playing.

In fact, our entire goal to goal line from the early 2000's looked set for long and illustrious careers:
Hay - Croad - Harford - Holland - Thompson

While each had excellent early seasons, for a variety of reasons none of them truly fulfilled their potential in the long term.
Only Croad would ultimately be a premiership player in his second stint at Hawthorn in what - due to injury - turned out to be his final game.

Alex Johnson or Anthony Morabito
It's always so disappointing just as a footy fan when players with such potential are cruelled by injury.
Morabito had such hype, it was a shame he never got on the park consistently. He and Harley Bennell with his calves, could have been absolute stars that we never got to see. Bennell had a few games over at GC where he shone, but that was it.

Nakia Cockatoo is a current player who I put in this category. He'd doing alright now but spent so many years struggling with injuries and is unlikely to take that next step to become elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back