Teammates that didn't like each other

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Also not individual players but I doubt the God Squad and Druggies liked each other that much in the Suns squad about 8 years ago. I feel sorry for the poor normal players caught in the middle between those two groups.
I’ve always thought that both groups are probably only one bad trip away from each other anyway

“Got off drugs and found god”

“Found god whilst on drugs”

Etc

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Nurse friend of mine isn't a fan of Mitchell. When his twins were born, she said he was acting like a knob, with a couple of racist comments

Not excusing racism specifically, however his twins nearly died shortly after their birth. I could only imagine how stressful that time must have been for he and his wife. I'd probably say something floggish in that situation without realising it as well.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Not excusing racism specifically, however his twins nearly died shortly after their birth. I could only imagine how stressful that time must have been for he and his wife. I'd probably say something floggish in that situation without realising it as well.

Certainly would have been a tense time, although a statement singling out one culture that he deemed acceptable to care for his twins, was really poor form

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Sound very much like a attempt to excuse it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sound very much like a attempt to excuse it

It's a random comment from a secondary source on a footy forum. With no way of confirming it's legitimacy. I only said 'not excusing racism' and offered an alternate view because I refuse to take the accusation as gospel. As I would no matter who was being accused of it in this way.

Being a Hawks supporter simply meant I had knowledge of the twin girls medical emergency that fans of other clubs may never have heard about. It offers some context to why his behaviour during this time may have been questionable. If he was blatantly racist towards a medical professional then I'd be incredibly disappointed in the man, despite the circumstances.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Ryan Burton and lots of his Hawthorn teammates, particuarly those a couple years younger.
How so? Burton only played 3 seasons at Hawthorn, so by your timeline players in their first season didn't like Burton ?

Doesn't make sense. Could probably go back and check the Hawks draftees that season - not sure why draftees would dislike a player still kind of finding his way.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
It's a random comment from a secondary source on a footy forum. With no way of confirming it's legitimacy. I only said 'not excusing racism' and offered an alternate view because I refuse to take the accusation as gospel. As I would no matter who was being accused of it in this way.

Being a Hawks supporter simply meant I had knowledge of the twin girls medical emergency that fans of other clubs may never have heard about. It offers some context to why his behaviour during this time may have been questionable. If he was blatantly racist towards a medical professional then I'd be incredibly disappointed in the man, despite the circumstances.
It’s still racism even under stress is what I’m getting at , he’s a grown man and should know better if it had occurred …regardless of his family situation at the time

smish

Club Legend
May 7, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
How so? Burton only played 3 seasons at Hawthorn, so by your timeline players in their first season didn't like Burton ?

Doesn't make sense. Could probably go back and check the Hawks draftees that season - not sure why draftees would dislike a player still kind of finding his way.
Yes, that's correct.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
It’s still racism even under stress is what I’m getting at , he’s a grown man and should know better if it had occurred …regardless of his family situation at the time

'If it had occurred' is the most important part of that comment.

You won't hear any excuses from me if more came of that accusation. I'm just not ready to write somebody off over a second hand account on an online forum.

The context offered is more so in regards to the 'acting like a knob' comment which isn't as celacious but more likely to be true considering Mitchells own admissions to his personality.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
'If it had occurred' is the most important part of that comment.

You won't hear any excuses from me if more came of that accusation. I'm just not ready to write somebody off over a second hand account on an online forum.

The context offered is more so in regards to the 'acting like a knob' comment which isn't as celacious but more likely to be true considering Mitchells own admissions to his personality.
Don’t think there is a need for context with racism , like I said it’s an attempt to excuse the racism by dismissing it due to stress

If it is correct he’s a racist campaigner and I hope it comes out

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes, that's correct.
So you are saying that Worpel, Moore and Jiath didn't like Burton?

Strange that first year players are vocal about a more established player.

Also strange that nobody says a bad word about him at Port.

You sure that you are not just trying to help justify the poor decision that the club made to offload him and draft picks to get Wingard?

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Don’t think there is a need for context with racism , like I said it’s an attempt to excuse the racism by dismissing it due to stress

If it is correct he’s a racist campaigner and I hope it comes out

I don't want to derail the thread. I'm simply saying that I won't suddenly consider Sam Mitchell to be a racist due to one second hand comment posted on a football forum. I would extend that to anybody regardless of the club they are affiliated with.

I'm suggesting that if Mitchell was indeed a 'knob' to nurses or medical staff during that time period there may be some explanation due to the stressful circumstances.
If the comments were of a racist nature I wouldn't be excusing him. There is more evidence to suggest he could have acted knobish than there is that he's a racist. That's where I'll leave it for now.

smish

Club Legend
May 7, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
So you are saying that Worpel, Moore and Jiath didn't like Burton?

Strange that first year players are vocal about a more established player.

Also strange that nobody says a bad word about him at Port.

You sure that you are not just trying to help justify the poor decision that the club made to offload him and draft picks to get Wingard?
That's exactly what I'm saying.

Yes, I'm sure.

He may well have matured since arriving at Port Adelaide, I hope for his sake he has.

It was fairly well known at Hawthorn his ego was quite a handful.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
That's exactly what I'm saying.

Yes, I'm sure.

He may well have matured since arriving at Port Adelaide, I hope for his sake he has.

It was fairly well known at Hawthorn his ego was quite a handful.
If true, and I have my doubts, then it paints a terrible picture of the first year players.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Young blokes come into the club and take a dislike to an established player. End result is that player gets traded out along with pick 15 and pick 35 for a Figjam player not as good as Burton

I played with plenty of players that I didn't think much of but it never impacted the team.

If true it is a very poor reflection on the young players.

Suspect that it's merely a camouflage from certain Hawks supporters ( Burton was unliked so we had to get rid of him.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back