Collingwood-Richmond, is it a one way or two way rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond and Gold Coast have the makings of a rivalry. They've played several classics against each other and seem to be middle of the road teams on a similar level to each other.
Richmond and Port rivalry building very steadily too. If we both stay premiership relevant for the next 5 years with another final or two at AO it'll get even bigger.

I love this concept that you actually get to "choose your team"....lol...so which kid do you reckon is gonna be choosing a bottom dweller for his / her team?
In our family you got born into it: I'm 3rd generation, my grandkids are 5th generation Magpies. There's no if's no buts, if you want to go to the footy, you're barracking for the Pies!

Love the Maso Tiger trying to re-birth the "Colliwobbles"....mate we were there when Louie Richards coined the phrase. Yeah we did lose all those close GF's but only one of those (1970) did we actually have a better side than our opposition...and we played 2 men down for most of the second half in that one.

But the Colliwobbles were put to bed in 1990 and they haven't existed (if they ever did) since then.

Collingwood supporters don't really have rivalries with other clubs because we see you all equally. Since the days of our inception as a club its been "US against Youse all".....

If you're talking bogey teams then the VFL/AFL actually did us a favour by translocating Fitzroy. For some reason those Royboys always punched above their weight and I always was uneasy playing the Roys....but everyone else, and particularly these days....we hate everyone equally!

The media like to promote Rivalry, but to most of the AFL audience these days the game, venues and spectator groups have been sufficiently sanitised to dissipate the rivalries (no matter how some people on here like to beat it up).

I will NEVER forgive Jimmy O'Dea for what he did to Johnny Greening in 1972, but in terms of clubs and rival supporters...to me you're all against us!
When you're 1st generation Australian with no family influence as to who you should support, your allegiance more often than not is based on geography or teams that are at the pointy end of the ladder at that time.

Many new Australians 60 years ago settled in Collingwood, Fitzroy and Richmond and consequently many supported those clubs.

For other first generation youngsters by the late '60's it was only going to be Collingwood, Carlton or Richmond as they were the powers at that time. No one was going to barrack for North.

I thank the Good Lord everyday I wasn't cursed with the terrible prospect of having chosen Collingwood. For reasons outlined in my previous post.

As for your Colliwobbles, you may think they were put to bed in 1990. For me they resurfaced in 2002, 2003, 2011 and brilliantly in 2018. The 2018 version completely absolved my pain from the previous week.

I agree with your sentiments re Jim O'Dea - dogs act. I rate John Greening as one of the 3 best Collingwood players I have seen (Phil Carmen and Peter Daicos the other two).

You can also cool your heels about rival supporters because to us Collingwood is becoming less and less of the feared rival is was when Squizzy Taylor ruled the streets of Melbourne.

The Pies still won 4 flags in a row. They generally are a very competitive club, usually making finals and grand finals etc, but they do have a serious problem producing the goods on grand final day.

Still though the Pies were the most successful club in the land for over 50 years, and they still have 2 more flags than Richmond.

I hate Collingwood as much as anyone, but only an idiot would dispute their status as a footballing institution. They have a bigger fanbase than Richmond as well imo. Of course Tigers fans would say otherwise, but i think most neutrals recognise Collingwood as the club with the largest support base.
Not sure how long you have followed VFL/AFL Irish (without being rude), but familiarise yourself with the finals system(s) in place prior to the McIntyre finals system introduced with a Final Four in 1931 then re-examine the significance of the first sentence of your opening paragraph.

As for your second paragraph, whilst statistically that may be true, in my lifetime the count is Richmond 8, Collingwood 2. Only Collingwood supporters over 70 can say they have seen 3. It's nice to say we have won X amount of flags; but in reality, the flags won before you were born are about as relevant as the ones our teams win when we're pushing up daisies.

Your last paragraph is subjective and could be proven false quite easily.

No-one is saying Collingwood is not a famous and big club. But you'll find amongst the other clubs, Collingwood is not the rival it once used to be.

Not sure how long you have followed VFL/AFL Irish (without being rude), but familiarise yourself with the finals system(s) in place prior to the McIntyre finals system introduced with a Final Four in 1931 then re-examine the significance of the first sentence of your opening paragraph.

As for your second paragraph, whilst statistically that may be true, in my lifetime the count is Richmond 8, Collingwood 2. Only Collingwood supporters over 70 can say they have seen 3. It's nice to say we have won X amount of flags; but in reality, the flags won before you were born are about as relevant as the ones our teams win when we're pushing up daisies.

No-one is saying Collingwood is not a famous and big club. But you'll find amongst the other clubs, Collingwood is not the rival it once used to be.
Haha yeah that’s why they don’t draw crowds. 🤦🏼‍♂️. Richmond and Collingwood have a great rivalry

They have more flags than the Tigers though, and are the only club to do the four peat beating Richmond in three of those finals.

The Pies still won 4 flags in a row. They generally are a very competitive club, usually making finals and grand finals etc, but they do have a serious problem producing the goods on grand final day.

Still though the Pies were the most successful club in the land for over 50 years, and they still have 2 more flags than Richmond.
Essendon , Collingwood & Carlton were all founding teams back in 1896 and Richmond disnt join until 1908 by which time in a 8 team competition by 1910 Collingwood & Carlton already had 3 flags each and Essendon had 2 but had 4 by 1912

Richmond didnt become competitive until 1919 which is they lost the GF to Collingwood which won their 4th flag
Richmond won the 1st flag in 1920 and went B2B by winning 1921.

Collingwood had 9 flags by 1930 and have only won another 6 in the next 93 years

Essendon , Collingwood & Carlton were all founding teams back in 1896 and Richmond disnt join until 1908 by which time in a 8 team competition by 1910 Collingwood & Carlton already had 3 flags each and Essendon had 2 but had 4 by 1912

Richmond didnt become competitive until 1919 which is they lost the GF to Collingwood which won their 4th flag

Collingwood had 9 flags by 1930 and have only won another 6 in the next 93 years
So how does any of this detailed analysis affect todays rivalry?

When you're 1st generation Australian with no family influence as to who you should support, your allegiance more often than not is based on geography or teams that are at the pointy end of the ladder at that time.

Many new Australians 60 years ago settled in Collingwood, Fitzroy and Richmond and consequently many supported those clubs.

For other first generation youngsters by the late '60's it was only going to be Collingwood, Carlton or Richmond as they were the powers at that time. No one was going to barrack for North.
heels about rival supporters because to us Collingwood is becoming less and less of the feared rival is was when Squizzy Taylor ruled the streets of Melbourne.

Thats a good point but i also know ( Being a 1st generation Australian that arrived in Australia in 1968)

Alot of the new Australians just adopted the colours of the soccer team they supported back in the old country , Black & White is probably the most common colors in soccer and i had alot of Greek , Maso , Croation , Turkish friends who went for Collingwood because of their support for their soccer team back home.

Most of their kids and now grand kids would have followed their path i would imagine

So how does any of this detailed analysis affect todays rivalry?
I dont think it does anymore with the younger supporters as they are more in the "Now" and as an example anybody that supports Richmond thats younger than 20 would say Carlton & Geelong but older supporters would most likely go with Collingwood & Carlton

My Post was mainly due to the premierships comment by the poster

Success is success though irrespective of when it was achieved. You can say oh we've won such an amount of flags, and they've won this amount of flags since nineteen thirty something or whatever, but that's totally irrelevant.

You can't claim to be more successful than a club, until you pass them out on the role of honour imo.

Success is success though irrespective of when it was achieved. You can say oh we've won such an amount of flags, and they've won this amount of flags since nineteen thirty something or whatever, but that's totally irrelevant.

You can't claim to be more successful than a club, until you pass them out on the role of honour imo.
So when you enter the comp doesnt matter ?
Success is success and nobody can deny their success but when comparing i think you need to look at more than just the number of cups

I would consider the Hawks to be the most successful club over the last 100 years

So when you enter the comp doesnt matter ?
Success is success and nobody can deny their success but when comparing i think you need to look at more than just the number of cups

I would consider the Hawks to be the most successful club over the last 100 years
If we count second placings as a count back we’re shitting on everyone. 🤦🏼‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We own the Tigers. Always have Always Will. They have just never been able to compete with us head to head
Premierships vs each other Collingwood 4 Richmond 2
Most recent finals win - Collingwood
Richmond haven't beaten Collingwood in a final in 42 years.
Head to Head - Collingwood 120 Richmond 92
Total score against each other Collingwood 2565.2765 Richmond 2411.2587
We own nearly every crowd record they desperately want

A really one sided rivalry due to our dominance over them.

We own the Tigers. Always have Always Will. They have just never been able to compete with us head to head

Errrr…winning one of your last seven finals against us is hardly owning us SOTY.

Losing your most recent GF against us by 14 goals is hardly owning us.

Winning one Grand Final to our eight in the last 64 years is definitely not owning us.

Having less members for the last 6 years straight at least is not owning us.

Having a max of 2 consecutive MCG finals crowds(bar Grand Finals) above 90k in the AFL era when we currently have an unbroken run of 7 going is not owning us.

You support a peloton club that was once both the most successful and heavily supported club in the competition. Now, not so much. You will always have the ancient past, but in the last 64 years, Collingwood are not owning anyone, not even St Kilda - who could possibly forget 1966? So we have an ownership dispute here SOTY. You are claiming Collingwood owns Richmond. And the facts dispute that. 😁

You must be 125 years old , I congratulate you

Tigers have 8 Premierships in my lifetime and i have only seen the Pies win 2
and to be perfectly honest thats all i care about and couldnt care less what happend in 1919

Richmond have a real third wheeling problem. Trying to latch onto Collingwood or Carlton when neither are interested. Have been trying their luck with the Cats who are barely tolerating them as they wait for the Hawks rebuilding. If you want to artificially create a rivalry so badly start yelling at GWS supporters or something.

Richmond have a real third wheeling problem. Trying to latch onto Collingwood or Carlton when neither are interested. Have been trying their luck with the Cats who are barely tolerating them as they wait for the Hawks rebuilding. If you want to artificially create a rivalry so badly start yelling at GWS supporters or something.
Richmond supporters are always looking for validation but reality is nobody gives a s**t.

Yeah, but that was only because of those 155 charity goals you got right in front :tearsofjoy:

Even though the hatred is eternal, it's impossible not to respect the Pies. Even when they've been out of flag contention for a few years, or suffered at the wrong end of repeated heartbreakers in finals, they've never been far from bouncing back to torment the rest of us again with their detestable champions and fanatical army of supporters (it should be a goal of all clubs to be hated due to their success - I had the combo of respect/hate/envy for the Blues throughout my childhood, and the Hawks to a lesser extent in the 80's/early-90's).

Hence us oppo supporters getting so much satisfaction in seeing the Pies less successful in our 50+ year-old lifetimes than the likes of even West Coast, Essendon, Geelong and North, and no better than the Crows or Swans. And that's leaving out the mega-flag winners Hawthorn, Carlton and Richmond.

However, history does mean something, so a trophy cabinet so full of ancient cups is something to be proud of, even if there was no enjoyment derived from the achievement itself. It gives a club depth and substance and sets a standard to which contemporary versions of the club should aspire to emulate. But to be honest, I'd take one premiership flag that I saw happen at the time over ten that I didn't, and I don't think any true footy supporter would think too much differently.

This is what 3 decades of crap does to you.

Richmond lives rent free in your head.

Tell me you weren't spewing at the final siren of the 2017, 2019, and 2020 GF's. If you answer no, you've progressed to lala very quickly;)

Tell me you weren't spewing at the final siren of the 2017, 2019, and 2020 GF's. If you answer no, you've progressed to lala very quickly;)
He was probably wearing a Richmond guernsey like many of the rest of us, ecstatic for our long suffering Richmond supporting friends who had resigned themselves to never seeing another Richmond premiership...

I believe majority of the country would have been happy to see the little man finally get some success after so long. We have been s**t nearing 30 years but I can tell you no Collingwood fan would be happy to see us win anything. That's the difference between a rivalry and this little one sided victim complex you have cooked up for yourselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back