Who is the best contested mark in the AFL?

Who is the best contested mark in the AFL?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Best today is Tom Stewart. Followed by Naughton. Stewart is just a massive headache for any opposition team because he clucks them in packs and one on ones. Cats are a different team without him.

Naughton is a close second imo.
Stewart averages 0.7 a game

In 2022 it was clearly Tom Lynch at 3.2/game. He was also great in front of goal with the highest goals/game ratio.

Gawn next best at 2.5/game.

McKay 2.2, Naughton 2.1 and Hawkins 1.9 not even close.

In 2022 it was clearly Tom Lynch at 3.2/game. He was also great in front of goal with the highest goals/game ratio.

Gawn next best at 2.5/game.

McKay 2.2, Naughton 2.1 and Hawkins 1.9 not even close.
Having the most doesn't mean he's the best, there are all sorts of reasons why a player might be in a position to take more contested marks in a game.

The answer is Gawn, but I would like to say for his size Heeney is one of the best contested marks in the league.

Still though, the answer is Gawn.

Heeney reminds me of Ablett Snr with his marking. He has the same blonde locks and creativity with his jumps. Doesn't take as many speccies but he is certainly the best 185cm high flyer in the game right now.

Max King is in it. Hawkins doesn't finish high enough in contested marks each year, he hasn't got the spring of the others.

Are you an idiot?
Max Gawn and Sean Darcy barely leave the ground either.

Your view of players and their deficiencies is really bizarre. I am actually surprised you did not put Dustin Martin's name in your poll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you an idiot? Hawkins is the heaviest forward in the league and cannot jump and Gawn and Darcy are jumping ruckmen you fool.

Darcy and Gawn have never be known as 'jumping' ruckmen lol.

In fact, I can't think of another ruck who has perfected the art of grabbing the ball out of the ruck and kicking it like Gawn has. His timing is as good any in the games history. Doesn't even have to jump considering he stands 6ft'10 with considerable reach.
Barely leaves the ground when he takes contested marks.

At least Hawkins has a highlights package all to his own of high flying marks until his back went in 2012.
Hasn't prevented him from becoming one of the premier contested marks of his generation.

Somewhat a repeating theme on Bigfooty.

Tigers fan starts thread on main board to create a circle jerk around a particular Tigers player.

Martin
Bolton
Balta
Lynch

Won't be long until we get on Taranto.
That is a quality thread

I wonder if the OP ever gets tired of creating all these bignoting self-aggrandizing threads? I mean it's actually friggin' hilarious how transparent it is.

Same as me creating a thread saying 'who is the best goal assist player in the league currently'? We all know it's Hawkins, so the poll is completely premeditated, in its design to achieve its aim of 'Richmond player is the best' - rinse and repeat.

We all know Lynch had the most last season according to footywire, and in recent seasons it's basically been Gawn and Lynch...so what is the point of a thread like this, if not to just pump up yet another Richmond player - especially if you deign to disagree and pick Gawn, Naughton or 'Other' as the poll suggests.

It's become like the child yelling out to mummy at the pool 'hey watch me, pay attention to me, look at me, I'm gonna do a cannonball, HEY watch me, watch me, watch me, LOVE ME!' :tearsofjoy:

Seriously, it's enough with these threads, Richmond, Geelong or otherwise, it belongs on your own board. Main board is a cesspool these days because of threads like this.

Seriously, the people who do this, stop trying to create discord and stop searching for recognition all the time - it really has just gotten oh so sad and oh so predictable.

Max King is in it. Hawkins doesn't finish high enough in contested marks each year, he hasn't got the spring of the others.

Doesn’t run and jump much and hasn’t for a while.

He’s still probably comfortably the best one on one contested mark but he’s not as good overall as Lynch, Gawn etc.

Pound for pound I would have said Danger was our best for a while, he’s not noted for his ‘natural’ footballing skill danger but rather his run and physicality etc but he has an amazing sense of timing with his marking. His hands aren’t as good as they used to be.

And yes Max King is outstanding

I wonder if the OP ever gets tired of creating all these bignoting self-aggrandizing threads? I mean it's actually friggin' hilarious how transparent it is.

Same as me creating a thread saying 'who is the best goal assist player in the league currently'? We all know it's Hawkins, so the poll is completely premeditated, in its design to achieve its aim of 'Richmond player is the best' - rinse and repeat.

We all know Lynch had the most last season according to footywire, and in recent seasons it's basically been Gawn and Lynch...so what is the point of a thread like this, if not to just pump up yet another Richmond player - especially if you deign to disagree and pick Gawn, Naughton or 'Other' as the poll suggests.

It's become like the child yelling out to mummy at the pool 'hey watch me, pay attention to me, look at me, I'm gonna do a cannonball, HEY watch me, watch me, watch me, LOVE ME!' :tearsofjoy:

Seriously, it's enough with these threads, Richmond, Geelong or otherwise, it belongs on your own board. Main board is a cesspool these days because of threads like this.

Seriously, the people who do this, stop trying to create discord and stop searching for recognition all the time - it really has just gotten oh so sad and oh so predictable.
The self esteem is quite an eye opener

I'm awaiting
"Was Richmond 2022 the Greatest Ever 7th placed finish in history" thread

A contested mark forward of play is 10x harder than a intercept mark in your D50.

Whilst someone like Stewart is a star he would struggle to take half the marks in his own forward 50.

Last edited:
Back