Have Geelong and Richmond destroyed the SA clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

White Dogg

Senior List
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Port never recovered from the 119 point belting they received from Geelong in the 2007 grand final and Adelaide haven't recovered from the 2017 grand final loss to Richmond. In my opinion it's fair to say Geelong and Richmond destroyed the SA clubs. Would you agree or disagree?

Port never recovered from the 119 point belting they received from Geelong in the 2007 grand final and Adelaide haven't recovered from the 2017 grand final loss to Richmond. In my opinion it's fair to say Geelong and Richmond destroyed the SA clubs. Would you agree or disagree?

Disagree. Port were back 6 or so years later which is what a rebuild usually is and Adelaide are rebuilding now, again something that takes time. Teams go up and teams go down, it happens, and teams that make the Grand Final are usually closer to a down than an up since Grand Final teams tend to be on the older side.

Port have been pretty good the last 6-8 years, good in terms of being around the mark. They’ll be top 4 this year. Adelaide’s issues ran deeper than Richmond in 2017, they dug themselves into an almighty hole with the way they responded after 2017, plus their captain is a racist and was willing to rip into anyone wanting to leave the place, even though the culture was disgraceful.

I think you can mount a stronger argument that Geelong destroyed the Essendon football club, the 2004 semi final proved to be a pivotal match in the respective club’s histories. Essendon have still yet to win a final since the week prior to that defeat & Geelong have won countless finals (and 4 premierships) since then. 😊

Nope. Port were hanging onto remnants of their premiership team and while worthy grand finalists in that they were along with Collingwood, the best of the rest, they weren’t within a bulls roar of our best footy even allowing for their round 21 win against us.

They were already on the cusp of a decline. They’ve bounced back to some extent.

Richmond didn’t destroy the Crows either. The Crows destroyed the crows, along with what happened to their coach.

Port have been pretty good the last 6-8 years, good in terms of being around the mark. They’ll be top 4 this year. Adelaide’s issues ran deeper than Richmond in 2017, they dug themselves into an almighty hole with the way they responded after 2017, plus their captain is a racist and was willing to rip into anyone wanting to leave the place, even though the culture was disgraceful.
Tend to agree.

Adelaide's wounds have been largely self inflicted.

Stupid choice to go on some BS snd uselessb camp. Stupid choice of captain.

But certainly the Tigers spooked them. The Crows response is all on them.

Geelong didn't destroy us by winning the Grand Final, they destroyed us by giving us Hinkley.
Hinkley was at Gold Coast when he got the job as Port coach. Anyway I believe Hinkley is only part of the problem at Port and the problems there are rooted much deeper going back to the 2007 grand final disaster.

Hinkley was at Gold Coast when he got the job as Port coach. Anyway I believe Hinkley is only part of the problem at Port and the problems there are rooted much deeper going back to the 2007 grand final disaster.
Our problems are rooted in our brief but awful nadir of 2010-12, and our useless board aswell as the media use it as an excuse to be stable and mediocre ever since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong destroyed Richmond in 2007 by 222 points. Indelibly imprinted in my memory.
It wasn't quite that much.

Odd thread. Be better if extrapolated to the comp as a whole. Something like:

"Do lopsided Finals and GF defeats lead to a loss of morale, and thus a decline in performance and ladder position?"

Singling out two clubs when it's happened to mutiple other clubs in recent memory, seems unfair, IMO.

The crows decision making following the loss was appalling.
The camp, Gibbs, etc etc etc
The one guy heavily involved in all of it remains …

View attachment 1591446
Isn't it interesting that the five greatest captains of that era in the early 2000s all substantially stuffed their clubs up? "Crazy Vossy" recruiting, Hird going on a club wide doping program and throwing everyone under the bus to save himself, Buckley insisting on taking over from Malthouse in the middle of a potential dynasty, Carey as is known and Ricciuto as above.

the long term truth will be Geelong & Richmond destroyed the Sydney Clubs

89 point smashing then pinch Taranto & Hopper

pinch superstar Garry Rohan then 81 point smashing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back