Collingwood-Richmond, is it a one way or two way rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't change my post.

In the past 21 seasons:
Collingwood 37 finals games
Richmond 16 finals games
Essendon 12 finals games
Carlton 6 finals games

Pies have played more finals than the other 3 teams combined.

o_Oo_Oo_O
Hawthorn have played 26 finals games in that time. Less than Collingwood yet they've won 4 flags compared to Collingwood's 1 flag.

not sure ill say pies dont give a crap about tigers flags like that will be the pies in 6 years any way.
tigers have like lived in the shadows of the pies even with them winning 17,19 and 20 flags.
pies are like enjoy it while you can all the while that will be them in 6 years anyway.
i know that 2018 prelim got under the skins of the tigers though and still yet to pay us back for and im happy with that as well

not sure ill say pies dont give a crap about tigers flags like that will be the pies in 6 years any way.
tigers have like lived in the shadows of the pies even with them winning 17,19 and 20 flags.
pies are like enjoy it while you can all the while that will be them in 6 years anyway.
i know that 2018 prelim got under the skins of the tigers though and still yet to pay us back for and im happy with that as well

That’s the thing about revenge TOK. If you haven’t copped it yet then you know it is coming. 😁

One thing's for sure, try as I might, I can't bring myself to despise the non-Vic clubs as much as our traditional Vic rivals. My dad was a lifelong Tiger and used to always barrack for any of the Vic clubs whenever they played a non-Vic, which I just could never understand. I can't remember the last (non-Richmond) grand final where I cheered for the Vic team over the non-Vic ... maybe the Saints over the Crows in 1998? Every other year I'm totally in "kick a Vic" mode.

I reckon five of my best ten mates in the world are Pies supporters, and while I love the lot of them like brothers, we heckle and pester each other about footy relentlessly, and I could never hope Collingwood win a flag, even for the sake of my mates. Hardly anybody I know in my friendship or acquaintance circles follows a non-Vic club, so I just don't have the deep-set rivalries for such clubs. BigFooty is seriously the only place I've ever really encountered a Freo supporter, and I'm yet to ever get the response "Dockers", "Giants" or "Suns" when I ask someone I've just met who they support.

But when your workplace and social circles are full of Maggies, Blues and Bombers, such rivalries are constantly maintained. Hawks, Dees, Cats etc are the next level down.
This I get. Who do you bag or get bagged by at work on Monday when you lose to an interstate side. I was devestated after 2018 GF, we could have pinched that flag, were no where near the best that year but it would have been fab. Still that WCE beat us didnt really factor into the pain. Who cares.

When its Vic sides without Collingwood all I am working out is who I want to lose. Biggest shock to me on this one was the 2020 GF. Was convinced I wanted the Tigers to go down right up to the bounce but when it came to it just didnt want the Cats and Dangerfield to win. Loved it when Dusty broke their hearts. Not because Richmond won, hated that, but I loved the Geelong pain.

1993 was the biggest of those. Only time I can hope Ess win is against the Blues but only because Carl lose. 1993 was a beautiful day.

Where does Richmond sit on the rivalry business. Big enough alright and the 70's it was bigger but its not Carlton or Ess. I think partly because I like the history as well. Collingwood and Richmond the teams and suburbs share a lot. Come from the same stable. Richmond is the club most like our little brother. Cant hate him as much as the Essendons with their masonry background and superiority and Carlton who were no better but just thought they were. Those 2 should just suffer shiteness for ever.

Last edited:
For all the success the Hawks have had, i think it would be fair to say that they still don't have the same support numbers that the traditional big four have.

Obviously as a Carlton fan i don't want any of Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond winning flags, but still though there would be a great buzz and excitement if all four of the Blues, Pies, Bombers and Tigers ever become premiership contenders all at once. Oh and yeah the non Vic clubs don't bother me either.
Nah. Especially Carlton. Dont want to ever see them contend under any circumstance. I just have a thought and fervent hope that despite some merit in their current list the Blues have lived in mediocrity and much worse for generations now that its become ingrained in their DNA. A new Saint Kilda themed club if you like. That they are now destined to throw away whatever riches they are given time and time again. Ultimately it will cancel their successful history and their supporters will just be shells, shells who have lost the fight and just accept their place as a nothing club.

Now that is something really worth praying for.

This I get. Who do you bag or get bagged by at work on Monday when you lose to an interstate side. I was devestated after 2018 GF, we could have pinched that flag, were no where near the best that year but it would have been fab. Still that WCE beat us didnt really factor into the pain. Who cares.

When its Vic sides without Collingwood all I am working out is who I want to lose. Biggest shock to me on this one was the 2020 GF. Was convinced I wanted the Tigers to go down right up to the bounce but when it came to it just didnt want the Cats and Dangerfield to win. Loved it when Dusty broke their hearts. Not because Richmond won, hated that, but I loved the Geelong pain.

1993 was the biggest of those. Only time I can hope Ess win is against the Blues but only because Carl lose. 1993 was a beautiful day.

Where does Richmond sit on the rivalry business. Big enough alright and the 70's it was bigger but its not Carlton or Ess. I think partly because I like the history as well. Collingwood and Richmond the teams and suburbs share a lot. Come from the same stable. Richmond is the club most like our little brother. Cant hate him as much as the Essendons with their masonry background and superiority and Carlton who were no better but just thought they were. Those 2 should just suffer shiteness for ever.

Nah. Especially Carlton. Dont want to ever see them contend under any circumstance. I just have a thought and fervent hope that despite some merit in their current list the Blues have lived in mediocrity and much worse for generations now that its become ingrained in their DNA. A new Saint Kilda themed club if you like. That they are now destined to throw away whatever riches they are given time and time again. Ultimately it will cancel their successful history and their supporters will just be shells, shells who have lost the fight and just accept their place as a nothing club.

Yeah, we've been handed these last 27 years of Carlton failure like an unexpected yet joyful gift from the gods, to the point where I might've even become a little complacent in my loathing of the Blues at times. There may even have been the brief moment of pity here and there by yours truly.

And yet we know full well that if/when they get going again, their supporters will quickly remind us of why we despise that club so much.

From a Richmond perspective, a footy universe where Collingwood never win grand finals, Essendon never win finals and Carlton never make finals would be nirvana. Tigers supporters don’t appreciate how good life is for us, nirvana is sort of currently happening.

Santa is real and is listening...

Yeah, we've been handed these last 27 years of Carlton failure like an unexpected yet joyful gift from the gods, to the point where I might've even become a little complacent in my loathing of the Blues at times. There may even have been the brief moment of pity here and there by yours truly.

And yet we know full well that if/when they get going again, their supporters will quickly remind us of why we despise that club so much.
I dont need reminding

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you've grown up in Melbourne. Went to primary school in the 1960's or 1970's. Joined the workforce in the 1980's or 1990's and are a passionate supporter of either Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon - then you loathe the other 3. For me, in order: Carlton, Essendon, then Collingwood.

The rivalries are real. Throw any combination of those 4 clubs, even when their half travelling ok, and they'd fill the 'G.

Any Collingwood supporter who tries to belittle Richmond by suggesting it's a one way rivalry is either: a) green with envy, b) not been around long enough, or c) not a passionate supporter.

I don’t mind Collingwood fans, particularly on here. There are a couple like timmyo and fadge who are quite obviously taking the piss and good entertainment. Others can take a more serious one eyed view but that’s true of our mob and other clubs supporters as well.

As for encountering them at games, there are some ferals. But that’s also true of all teams.

With fly at the helm I kind of don’t mind them. And perhaps my view will change if they ever seriously contend for a flag.

If you've grown up in Melbourne. Went to primary school in the 1960's or 1970's. Joined the workforce in the 1980's or 1990's and are a passionate supporter of either Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon - then you loathe the other 3. For me, in order: Carlton, Essendon, then Collingwood.

The rivalries are real. Throw any combination of those 4 clubs, even when their half travelling ok, and they'd fill the 'G.

Any Collingwood supporter who tries to belittle Richmond by suggesting it's a one way rivalry is either: a) green with envy, b) not been around long enough, or c) not a passionate supporter.
They are real just Richmonf dropped off relevence for so long they got a bit forgotten. The supporters seemed to accept their diminished standing. Recent success has been great but you guys are not hateable in the way Carl and Ess are.

Carl and EsS supporters seem to have kept up the dulsion of relevence even when it has dried up better than the Tigers faithful could.

When one clubs supporters are trying to tell another clubs supporters how they should think, then it's a sure sign of a one way rivalry.

Probably two-way, but there's only been one Coll/Rich final since the Carter administration.

Maybe not looked upon as a Big-4 rivalry, but the last five Geelong/Collingwood finals (out of a record number of 26, most of any two sides), the winner has taken the Flag that season. Meaningful finals and some memorable ones I reckon do create a rivalry for sure.

Probably two-way, but there's only been one Coll/Rich final since the Carter administration.

Maybe not looked upon as a Big-4 rivalry, but the last five Geelong/Collingwood finals (out of a record number of 26, most of any two sides), the winner has taken the Flag that season. Meaningful finals and some memorable ones I reckon do create a rivalry for sure.
Except in 2019/2020

They are real just Richmonf dropped off relevence for so long they got a bit forgotten. The supporters seemed to accept their diminished standing. Recent success has been great but you guys are not hateable in the way Carl and Ess are.

Carl and EsS supporters seem to have kept up the dulsion of relevence even when it has dried up better than the Tigers faithful could.
No doubt it would depend on your age as to the level of "hate" you have for a particular rival.

Those born in the 1980's or later have developed their football biases in the shadow of Richmond being irrelevant. And fair enough too, for we were sh!thouse for a long time as a result of our own stupidity.

As for those born in the 1960's, make no mistake, the Richmond/Collingwood rivalry was fierce. And if we go back to the vintage of Jack Dyer and Lou Richards it was war.

I can understand why Collingwood supporters see Carlton as their most hated club, particularly for those who grew up in the 1970's. For Carlton has owned Collingwood in the modern era. Grand Final victories against Collingwood in 1970, 1979 and 1981 without any revenge dished out would make one very, very salty. GF loses where Collingwood was in a strong winning position in each of them. Ouch!!

In my lifetime, Carlton are the only team to beat Richmond in the two GF's we have lost. Hence why I "hate" them the most. But I've had the pleasure of seeing Richmond beat Carlton in two GF's to square the ledger. Something Collingwood supporters haven't.

Carlton and Essendon have been irrelevant for a long time, but don't confuse their current plight with the deep seeded rivalries that were sewn many decades ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back