Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Bevo preaches versatility but I’d rather Cody just works on his small forward craft.
I like it because small forwards can go missing for large chunks of the game (due to supply), then when the ball finally comes down they find it hard to perform. Little stints through the midfield will keep Cody engaged and potentially change up the opposition match up for him

Last edited:
I like it because small forwards can go missing for large chunks of the game (due to supply), then when the ball finally comes down they find it had to perform. Little stints through the midfield will keep Cody engaged and potentially change up the opposition match up for him
Cody's marking isn't a priority forward any more. But this talent could become Brad Johnson Esk ... before moved tfrom the midfield to forward line.
Johnos aerial strength was so important
Midfield and wings.

With Dunks gone Cody could become at least an Ariel spoiler.With his leap.

Sorry Cody is never going to be Brad Johnson . He’s talented but not that good . That said I worship the ground Johnno walked on. A man who played forward and midfield but seemingly at the same time .

I like it because small forwards can go missing for large chunks of the game (due to supply), then when the ball finally comes down they find it had to perform. Little stints through the midfield will keep Cody engaged and potentially change up the opposition match up for him
They can go missing but we don't need Cody to be getting 15-20 touches a game. If he is kicking 2 goals a game with a handful of possessions while doing this at every chance he gets (see first 15 seconds) he will drastically improve our forward line.

EDIT: Bont absolutely robbed of the goal of the year.

They can go missing but we don't need Cody to be getting 15-20 touches a game. If he is kicking 2 goals a game with a handful of possessions while doing this at every chance he gets (see first 15 seconds) he will drastically improve our forward line.

EDIT: Bont absolutely robbed of the goal of the year.

Why can’t he get 15/20 possessions and still kick his couple a game. Let’s see what he can do I say :)

Is anyone else worried that Treloar sounds banged up and may miss the start of season, added we lost Dunkley that our mids start to look thin ?

Is anyone else worried that Treloar sounds banged up and may miss the start of season, added we lost Dunkley that our mids start to look thin ?
I'll start by saying that I'd love for him to be out there but I'm not too concerned. A midfield of Bontempelli, Macrae, Liberatore, Bailey Smith, McLean with the emergence of Riley Garcia and Rhylee West gives us plenty of versatility there.

It seems we're also trialing Caleb Daniel and perhaps even Cody through there. As badly as he cops it, Robbie McComb isn't horrible depth either.

C: Williams, Libba, Baker
F: English, Bont, Macrae
Int: BSmith, McLean

West named on a HFF and Garcia sub

He has calf injury which occured when ramping up from his post-season ankle surgery.

Calf strains can be 6-8 weeks easily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you watch a player closely after he joins your team you start to see all thier flaws. He is nice to have but I don't think he is massive loss.

• Poor defensive pressure / widely inconsistent application of effort
  • Losses focus in game all the f*cking time. Move on to the next play man
  • Panics when has the ball in congestion
  • He is a energy taker more than energy giver to the group

3 years left on that contract. If we could undo that trade I would do it tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'll start by saying that I'd love for him to be out there but I'm not too concerned. A midfield of Bontempelli, Macrae, Liberatore, Bailey Smith, McLean with the emergence of Riley Garcia and Rhylee West gives us plenty of versatility there.

It seems we're also trialing Caleb Daniel and perhaps even Cody through there. As badly as he cops it, Robbie McComb isn't horrible depth either.
I want to see him in full training sooner rather than later 🙁

When you watch a player closely after he joins your team you start to see all thier flaws. He is nice to have but I don't think he is massive loss.

• Poor defensive pressure / widly inconsistent application of effort

3 years left on that contract. If we could undo that trade I would do it tomorrow.
He’s got something to prove now. Doesn’t have the cushion of Dunkley. Can’t crumble now.

i anticipate a breakout season for Garcia this year. He will add extra grunt in there. We will be fine.

• Poor defensive pressure / widly inconsistent application of effort

Nobody is perfect, but you are massively overplaying his weaknesses, and totally ignoring his strengths.

He is a much better finisher than most of our midfield, works hard, and can find the footy.

He was super important in the first 2.5 quarters of the 2021 GF. It was the right trade to make for me. Disappointing he’s missed a chunk of pre-season because it would have been good to have him more integrated with the whole list not just one relationship.

He was super important in the first 2.5 quarters of the 2021 GF. It was the right trade to make for me. Disappointing he’s missed a chunk of pre-season because it would have been good to have him more integrated with the whole list not just one relationship.

For our sake I hope you're right.

It just seems like a marriage of convenience at the moment. Treloar hasn't endeared himself to the club and vice versa.

Nice analysis but I think it's a bit harsh.
No one in our team breaks the lines like Treloar.
Treloar running through the centre and kicking goals is a thing of beauty.

I'm actually hoping West steps up into any midfield gaps that may arise.
TBH I don't think it will be one player - a combination of McLean, Garcia and CD will make up any difference.

If we do find our midfield lacking this year at least it’s the easiest line in footy to stock up with mature talent from other clubs. The extra early picks we have secured for 2023 will be handy to go shopping for mature bodies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back