Analysis If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest player of all time?

If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest pla

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see how Martin goes when he's 33/34 ... As a forward in a side that was smashed.
Why can't Geelong supporters, including Fadge, respect and enjoy Dustin Martin like all other supporters do.
You couldn't meet a more humble bloke. He's a ball player and always very unselfish on the field.
He's been reported once for pushing a tagger and never hurt anyone.
Lift your game Cat supporters and Fadge.

Why can't Geelong supporters, including Fadge, respect and enjoy Dustin Martin like all other supporters do.
You couldn't meet a more humble bloke. He's a ball player and always very unselfish on the field.
I won't speak for the Geelong Supporters, but as I've stated before, he's been an awesome player.

One of the best players of his generation, top 10 since the turn of the century and around top 50 in the history of the game.

Fantastic player with an outstanding career.

I won't speak for the Geelong Supporters, but as I've stated before, he's been an awesome player.

One of the best players of his generation, top 10 since the turn of the century and around top 50 in the history of the game.

He's higher than top 10, he's in the top 3 with Franklin & Ablett jnr imo.

He's higher than top 10, he's in the top 3 with Franklin & Ablett jnr imo.
Comfortably behind Ablett Jr, Franklin, Judd and Goodes, behind Fyfe, Buckley and Voss, competing with the likes of Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Cousins, Pavlich, N Reiwoldt and many more for a spot in the top 10. May have forgotten some names.

He has inflicted too much damage on Cats supporters, it is too raw.

Fadge on the other hand is just Fadge, Richmond could win a thousand flags in succession, weak millenium, finals don’t mean more than dominating a whole season 🤣 guys who get 40 disposals sometimes are better players, someone else who is not a great leader is a better leader, always the same stuff, so you take him with a mountain of salt. 😁

giphy.gif

He has inflicted too much damage on Cats supporters, it is too raw.

Fadge on the other hand is just Fadge, Richmond could win a thousand flags in succession, weak millenium, finals don’t mean more than dominating a whole season 🤣 guys who get 40 disposals sometimes are better players, someone else who is not a great leader is a better leader, always the same stuff, so you take him with a mountain of salt. 😁

giphy.gif
Noone knows more about salt than you...

lol so basically, their finals record are mightily impressive :D

Hey, you should go check out sticks Kernahan's record . . . . it completely shits on anything Martin has done!
And you follishly imply Martin's is the best ever.

Huh? I think your confusing my stats of ‘career average’ as their GF average….. GAS’s GF averages were 25-40% below career averages … but anyway ….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

thanks man, that means alot:thumbsu:

Comfortably behind Ablett Jr, Franklin, Judd and Goodes, behind Fyfe, Buckley and Voss, competing with the likes of Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Cousins, Pavlich, N Reiwoldt and many more for a spot in the top 10. May have forgotten some names.
He's not comfortably behind those players. None of them dominated an entire season and won every award like in 2017. Judd never did that. No one has dominated finals like him ever bar Barassi , so he's in the group with Franklin and Ablett jnr and can easily surpass them and others by the end of his career.

He's not comfortably behind those players. None of them dominated an entire season and won every award like in 2017. Judd never did that. No one has dominated finals like him ever bar Barassi , so he's in the group with Franklin and Ablett jnr and can easily surpass them and others by the end of his career.
'An entire season'.

He's been rated in the top handful of players in the competition for 4 years and you're comparing him to players like Ablett, Franklin and Judd who have been regarded as the top 2 to 3 players in the competition consistently over a decade?!?

And what about the finals he didn't dominate? Oh that's right, he was either young, injured or they didn't count because they weren't required to win to eventuate in a premiership.

Wowee.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not only insulting to compare such players, it's blasphemy and the poll voting says it all. I'm pretty confident in saying Martin's not winning another norm smith medal as Richmond are no longer the champion team they once were.

And just put this into perspective for those who are doing their best to downplay Ablett as a great finals performer, take away his epic 1989 final series and the bloke was still good for 3.1 goals per game.

Take away Martin's best final series (2019) and he was only good for 1 goal per final.

2019 was Martin’s ‘worst finals series’ of the 3. Hahaha… but thanks for thinking it was his best - shows how brilliant 2017 and 2020 were.

Let's see how Martin goes when he's 33/34 ... As a forward in a side that was smashed.

How on earth is Ablett’s age relevant? He played his best and most consistent footy in 1993/94/95 - so why does he all of a sudden get some form of ‘age based compensation’ ?? Makes zero sense to use this as some form of excuse for non-existent GF shows in 94 and 95.

How on earth is Ablett’s age relevant?

I'm not sure why I need to explain that to you, it's fairly easy to understand.

He played his best and most consistent footy in 1993/94/95 - so why does he all of a sudden get some form of ‘age based compensation’ ?? Makes zero sense to use this as some form of excuse for non-existent GF shows in 94 and 95.
No he never.

Correct, they dominated for a decade or more. That's why they are greater.

2019 was Martin’s ‘worst finals series’ of the 3. Hahaha… but thanks for thinking it was his best - shows how brilliant 2017 and 2020 were.

Was Martin ever the focal point in any of those games?
He is an opportunist. 1 mark in two of the grand finals is exactly what he's all about. He's a brilliant opportunist in the same vein as Darren Jarman and Jason Akermanis.

Opposition teams know full well you beat Richmond by stopping their tall timber. In 2017, it was Alex Rance who proved this by completely annihilating Adelaide's key forwards.
I don't even know why I am having this discussion with you anymore. You are deluded.

Martin isn't fit to tie Carey, Matthews or Ablett's bootlaces. He's beneath such players and wouldn't even be the equal of Buddy Franklin.

You won't have many rating him higher than Judd, but those who don't factor in the importance of leadership would likely have him on the next rung immediately under those 3.

I’m intrigued with your ‘leadership’ scale. Judd loves the ‘cash’ …. everyone knows that. He loved the rivers of gold promised him from Pratt, that’s why he chose Carlton … everyone knows that. He led Carlton to precisely zero flags, and never even a top-4 finish.

You just seem to rate media skills or something weird, I’m just not sure. But at least you’re consistent rating zero flags Pendles and zero top-4 finish Judd (at Carlton) with some weird leadership rating that puts them above triple finals MVP, triple NS and triple flag Martin … who turned down millions to stay at Richmond.

Must be the tatts ….

I’m intrigued with your ‘leadership’ scale. Judd loves the ‘cash’ …. everyone knows that. He loved the rivers of gold promised him from Pratt, that’s why he chose Carlton … everyone knows that. He led Carlton to precisely zero flags, and never even a top-4 finish.

You just seem to rate media skills or something weird, I’m just not sure. But at least you’re consistent rating zero flags Pendles and zero top-4 finish Judd (at Carlton) with some weird leadership rating that puts them above triple finals MVP, triple NS and triple flag Martin … who turned down millions to stay at Richmond.

Must be the tatts ….
Nah, Judd was far better for far longer than Martin. His leadership traits not even considered to have him comfortably ahead of Martin.

Pendlebury's very best not quite at the level of Martin, but he's also been doing what he does for longer and to be considered worthy of captaining your club for circ 200 games gives him the edge over Martin.

Whilst my rating of Judd would be consistent with 99.9% of non-Richmond supporters, my view on Pendlebury is personal opinion which I expect would be in the minority, but each to their own.

Nah, Judd was far better for far longer than Martin. His leadership traits not even considered to have him comfortably ahead of Martin.

Pendlebury's very best not quite at the level of Martin, but he's also been doing what he does for longer and to be considered worthy of captaining your club for circ 200 games gives him the edge over Martin.

Whilst my rating of Judd would be consistent with 99.9% of non-Richmond supporters, my view on Pendlebury is personal opinion which I expect would be in the minority, but each to their own.
Can you please start a Judd vs Martin thread.

Can you please start a Judd vs Martin thread.
Wouldn't waste my time.

I can tell you what the poll results would be - identical to this one.

Richmond supporters flooding thread and creating burner accounts to overstate the pro-Martin numbers;

99.5% of non-Richmond supporters voting for Judd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back