NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed. Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Process Plan - https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...erms-of-Reference-and-Process-Plan-FINAL-.pdf

DO NOT QUOTE THREADS FROM OTHER BOARDS

Last edited:
Im sure there are numerous posts throughout this thread that point to how the relationship between Clarko and FN players under his guidance at North will be viewed from outside, so this isnt a first.
Im just suggesting we may be seeing that play out with recent events.
I think maybe you've had enough hints that this isn't the way

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
I think the club assumes that the Aboriginal player and the non Aboriginal player both deserve to be Captain. No questions raised at all.
And the timing of such historical change with the North Captaincy doesn't raise the question?

Its not about the merits of the decision, its about the external perception of decisions made around FN players in the circumstance.

It invites speculation.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
I see North have shown their hand in how First Nations players will be handled in the face of their Coach being embroiled in an alleged racism investigation.
I said pages ago that this will be a dilemma for them as any negativity towards those players will be deemed as Clarko up to his old tricks again whilst any positivity will be seen as the club attempting to show Clarko has a good relationship with FN players.

So they go with the latter, which is hardly surprising, and 'throw their arms around TT' despite serious criminal charges pending, stark contrast to the way they handled JHF who only missed an ice bath.
They both got dropped last year for having a s**t attitude. This is not a race issue Kane.

And the timing of such historical change with the North Captaincy doesn't raise the question?

Its not about the merits of the decision, its about the external perception of decisions made around FN players in the circumstance.

It invites speculation.
Can't say you weren't warned.

It invites speculation.
Yeah. Nah. You're suggesting that there will be an negative external perception due to these things being likely to have a positive external perception...

It's not about North. They've got the best record of any Victorian club regarding indigenous inclusion.

4cunningTonneTruck

All Australian
Aug 21, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They then followed up by making a FN player co-captain, along with a non-FN player I might add, which is an interesting move considering it's the first time in the club's history to have co-captaincy.

Almost as if they felt Jy wasn't up to it alone..
You're a *ing moron. Concern trolling followed by racist remarks reducing the credibility of a player down to his race. Jog on.

It invites speculation.

It is a wonderful decision by the Kangas. The club should be very proud of their decision, Kangas fans should celebrate a wonderful moment, Jy has shown great leadership and would be honoured and I know his Yorta Yorta people are extremely proud. I remind you that this race allegation and issue is not a Kangas problem, they are just a bystander who have become involved due to circumstances

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

It invites speculation.

How is it historical, Clarko is the determinent of the on-field leadership and he hasn't coached a game. Plus they're off the worst 3 years of any club in the modern era. It's a situation where you expect change.

Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
How is it historical, Clarko is the determinent of the on-field leadership and he hasn't coached a game. Plus they're off the worst 3 years of any club in the modern era. It's a situation where you expect change.

Not to mention if you re-visit some north board threads you'll find many posters calling for both Simpkin and/or McDonald as captain/s since last year, it's hardly unexpected. Just reeks of the poster using this thread to settle a personal score somewhere

It invites speculation.
North don't exactly have a strong group of standout leaders. Co-captains seems a logical choice for them at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
If the person/people who are questioning North's captaincy decision had half a brain they'd do an iota of research and quickly realise it was player voted, which it has been for quite some time.

I'm not into the conspiracy theory rubbish posted by that Penfolds clown, but I don't buy the 'player vote' thing at all. There's no way the coaches don't get the exact leadership set up that they want. Same at my club, the p,Ayers vote, but there's no way it's not manipulated by the coaches.

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey, im not the one who wrapped their arms around a FN player with criminal charges pending whilst sanctioning a non FN player for missing an ice bath, that seems kinda racist to me.
Nor am I the club that chose the moment I elevated a FN player to Captain to choose to implement the first co-captaincy in the clubs history, that also seems kinda racist to me.

Just sayin'
Or they did the right thing, didn't consider race as part of the process and picked two well qualified and respected leaders for their rebuilding club. Co captains might be a first for them but it is pretty common now.

Sent from my SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is a wonderful decision by the Kangas. The club should be very proud of their decision, Kangas fans should celebrate a wonderful moment, Jy has shown great leadership and would be honoured and I know his Yorta Yorta people are extremely proud. I remind you that this race allegation and issue is not a Kangas problem, they are just a bystander who have become involved due to circumstances

I would have just had Jy as the sole captain, but it is the players decision so whatever works for them. He has busted his nut over the years, especially with Cunners missing a lot of footy in recent times due to his cancer battles.

It is a North problem to some degree, the club has backed Clarko, if the end result is bad it will look bad on the club so it is not without risk for us. It is almost Feb and this thing is still going, so much for end of December. I guess everyone is impatient to get a result so we can move on one way or another. Surely the AFL can't start the 2023 season with this being unresolved.

I'm not into the conspiracy theory rubbish posted by that Penfolds clown, but I don't buy the 'player vote' thing at all. There's no way the coaches don't get the exact leadership set up that they want. Same at my club, the p,Ayers vote, but there's no way it's not manipulated by the coaches.

I think the player vote thing is legit. Obviously if clarko wanted one over the other he'd have said as much

Can't say you weren't warned.

Not wanting to rake over old graves here, but JHF is indigenous.

His biological Dad. He did all the cultural stuff at North with our indigenous mob.

Just stupid posting.

Last edited:

Yep, really proud moment for Jyza and the club. We also had Barry Cable as coach way back in the 80s.

It's a shame Carey never wanted to acknowledge his indigeneity while he was captain, but given his very specific family circumstances I understand it.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep, really proud moment for Jyza and the club. We also had Barry Cable as coach way back in the 80s.

It's a shame Carey never wanted to acknowledge his indigeneity while he was captain, but given his very specific family circumstances I understand it.
More recently Carey has spoken about his background I think

I think the player vote thing is legit. Obviously if clarko wanted one over the other he'd have said as much

I would put Jy, LDU and Phillips in the top 3 of having elite attributes, have the drive and have exceptional standards when it comes to training and their development. The fact 2 of these 3 aren't even in the leadership group to me says a lot about who is driving it.

My gut feel is the leadership group next year will look very different. I think there is only so much a new coach can change in his first pre-season without rocking the boat too much, but I assume if there isn't a negative result from this review then he will apply a lot more pressure this year into next year.

He doesn't know for sure, he believes he might but his mum and dad are no longer here. He could probably find out with a dna test, a friend of mine had to get a dna test because people didn't believe her, she looks more like a close relative to Ronald McDonald than anyone indigenous, despite her mother being 100%.

I think there has been a significant surge in people who identify as a first nation person from the last two census completed, I think a lot more people are digging up their ancestry information.

Carey seems to think he is or might be but said he didn't want the attention of finding out and making it public, which is fair enough I guess. In a MMM interview Nathan Lovett-Murray was asked who his favourite indigenous player was and he said it could be Carey, which is the only reason this became public. I think the indigenous players considered him indigenous.

It is an inevitability that in the future anyone that hadn't migrated here recently will eventually have indigenous blood and I think it will be a good thing.

He doesn't know for sure, he believes he might but his mum and dad are no longer here. He could probably find out with a dna test, a friend of mine had to get a dna test because people didn't believe her, she looks more like a close relative to Ronald McDonald than anyone indigenous, despite her mother being 100%.

I think there has been a significant surge in people who identify as a first nation person from the last two census completed, I think a lot more people are digging up their ancestry information.

Carey seems to think he is or might be but said he didn't want the attention of finding out and making it public, which is fair enough I guess. In a MMM interview Nathan Lovett-Murray was asked who his favourite indigenous player was and he said it could be Carey, which is the only reason this became public. I think the indigenous players considered him indigenous.

It is an inevitability that in the future anyone that hadn't migrated here recently will eventually have indigenous blood and I think it will be a good thing.

We're getting well off topic but I think he knows and always has his heritage but it's about coming to terms with his Dads role in his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back