Prediction 2023 Ladder Prediction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

One club is second on the average ''games played'' ladder with 85 games. The other is 16 with 55 games.

Freo won't want any injuries to quality players or their depth will be really tested.

Overall the metrics of the list don't scream finals. That said, I'm not suggesting there's not a lot of quality. It's just very young.

And when it's very young you don't need a lot to go wrong to stumble.
Lucky there’s good depth in our list
Hamling back to full fitness to cover our tall backs
Wilson experienced running back or walker to cover small defenders
Aish utility cover
Henry Johnson Erasmus wing half fwd cover
One of treacy tabs or amiss will be on stand by along with kuek and banfield
Also have Corbett Sturt knobel and others that can fill a roll if needed

Lucky there’s good depth in our list
Hamling back to full fitness to cover our tall backs
Wilson experienced running back or walker to cover small defenders
Aish utility cover
Henry Johnson Erasmus wing half fwd cover
One of treacy tabs or amiss will be on stand by along with kuek and banfield
Also have Corbett Sturt knobel and others that can fill a roll if needed
Defenders:
Ryan Cox Chapman walker Pearce
Young Clark Hamling Wilson Aish
Midfield/wings:
Darcy Jackson Fyfe Omeara Brayshaw Brodie Serong odriscoll Erasmus Johnson
Fwd: Tabs Amiss Walters Fredrick colyer Henry Schultz switta banfield Treacy Sturt corbet kuek

Extras Wagner worner knobel reidy

Crows have Port, Tigers, Blues, Pies, Geelong, Dockers, Lions and Dogs in the first 11 rounds, and the Giants are already favourites for your Round 1 match.

You’ll laugh in defense, but your season could be in free fall by Round 12 with so many games against the top sides. You’ll need to surprise a few.

Crows are good money for the spoon too, so might be worth a look.

No way Crows finish last, and don't think they finish bottom 6

Ridiculous assessment of Essendon imo. Plenty of young talent and nobody of significance retiring in the near future, besides Tippa, who didn't play a game in 2022 anyways. One of the youngest and least experienced teams with lots of upside.
Essendon have no right to claim anything. They have become another Carlton, promising a bit and never showing up. Until you make it, you'll have to deal with people not believing in them. Not sure it is worth rhe debate. Results speak louder than speculative improvements that aren't guaranteed.

That block of games will have a massive impact on the Crows year, which is the point. They either snatch some wins early or they fall in a hole, and you have the Crows finishing jsit below the Demons and Dockers, so surely you have some confidence is suggesting which of those games you’ll win?
This just in, winning games is good. We have proved in the last two seasons we are capable of knocking off good sides on our day. We beat the Power, Tigers and the Blues, we beat the Doggies in Ballarat. The year before just coming off a spoon we knocked off the Cats and the until then undefeated Demons. You can argue whatever you like but each of those games would've been ticked off as losses prior to the bounce.

With trades and organic improvement we should be a better side and will at some point beat a much better side than ourselves. So excuse us if we don't wonder whether we will win a game before rd 11, it'll happen several times. But feel free to post our opponents for the fifty-third time.

Interesting discussion about ‘spines’ , I think it should be your 2 best KPF/KPD plus your best bigger contested ball winner plus your #1 ruckman

I’d give Freo’s 6/10 maybe

Tabs

Jackson ? Amiss ? Fyfe ?

Darcy / Brodie

Cox

Pearce

Essendon have no right to claim anything. They have become another Carlton, promising a bit and never showing up. Until you make it, you'll have to deal with people not believing in them. Not sure it is worth rhe debate. Results speak louder than speculative improvements that aren't guaranteed.

I am not even claiming we are going to be any good. I simply pointed out that we have a young developing list and that we don't have any important players nearing retirement. He referred to Parish and Redman leaving, when there is no proof of that at all. I also disagreed that our list is 'A nothing list. Neither coming or going'.
Results do speak louder than speculation, but the whole point of this thread IS to speculate 2023 ladder results. I think Essendon's midfield is better and deeper than those teams around us such as Hawthorn , Adelaide etc. and I think we will do better than a lot are predicating. As long as Peter Wright plays most games. We rely on him way too much at this stage.

Honestly don't know where this idea that Essendon haven't bottomed out comes from.

We have the 3rd youngest list in the AFL, and the 4th least experienced. Only two 30+ year olds, both of whom you could argue aren't in our best side. Have only 16 players who were on the list as recent as 2019.

We'll struggle again this year but it looks like we're on the right track.

1. Richmond (Premiers)
2. Brisbane (Lose Prelim)
3. Melbourne (Lose Semi)
4. Gold Coast (Runners-Up)
5. Geelong (Lose Elim)
6. Sydney (Lose Prelim)
7. Carlton (Lose Elim)
8. Collingwood (Lose Semi)
--------------------------------
9. Western Bulldogs
10. Adelaide
11. Fremantle
12. Port Adelaide
13. Greater Western Sydney
14. St Kilda
15. West Coast
16. Essendon
17. North Melbourne
18. Hawthorn

1. Richmond (Premiers)
2. Brisbane (Lose Prelim)
3. Melbourne (Lose Semi)
4. Gold Coast (Runners-Up)
5. Geelong (Lose Elim)
6. Sydney (Lose Prelim)
7. Carlton (Lose Elim)
8. Collingwood (Lose Semi)
--------------------------------
9. Western Bulldogs
10. Adelaide
11. Fremantle
12. Port Adelaide
13. Greater Western Sydney
14. St Kilda
15. West Coast
16. Essendon
17. North Melbourne
18. Hawthorn
Just out of interest, who did Gold Coast beat in the prelim in this hilarious scenario, Brisbane or Sydney?

Congrats to the Tigers on beating their bogey team in the grand final by the way

Just out of interest, who did Gold Coast beat in the prelim in this hilarious scenario, Brisbane or Sydney?

Congrats to the Tigers on beating their bogey team in the grand final by the way
Brisbane it looks like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing Lewis for round one swings the game in Essendon's favour. Which is rough as he's our most important player IMO, and this is one of the games that is definitely winnable for us. A real 8 point game in terms of ladder position for the respective sides.

Losing Lewis for round one swings the game in Essendon's favour. Which is rough as he's our most important player IMO, and this is one of the games that is definitely winnable for us. A real 8 point game in terms of ladder position for the respective sides.

Losing Lewis for an extended period of time will be a disaster for us. Our first 6 games of the season were the best part of the fixture for the year. Games include: Essendon, north Melbourne, gws (in Adelaide) and Adelaide in Tassie. If Lewis misses 4 of those games, we will be lucky to win 2. If we’re 1-5 after 6 games, we will be clear favourite for the spoon.

Last edited:
Losing Lewis for an extended period of time will be a disaster for us. Our first 6 games of the season were the best part of the fixture for the year. Games include: Essendon, north Melbourne, gws (in Adelaide) and Adelaide in Tassie. If Lewis misses 4 of those games, we will be lucky to win 2. If we’re 1-5 or 2-4 after 6 games, we will be clear favourite for the spoon.

This is why rebuilds are so hard.
With such young, thin lists, it doesn’t take much to really derail a season.
Some delusional belief from some here that simply going to the draft for 3 years will see a team automatically return to finals action.
The reality is that there are injuries, defections, draftees not making the grade, fixture anomalies, bad luck and many other factors along the journey.
Typically, teams in rebuild have rookie coaches, so when the losses continue to mount and the pressure builds, the footy media circles and show no mercy in search of a headline.
Mitchell, the club and supporters are in for some hard yards ahead which after being on top for so long is the way the game is designed to be these days …

This is why rebuilds are so hard.
With such young, thin lists, it doesn’t take much to really derail a season.
Some delusional belief from some here that simply going to the draft for 3 years will see a team automatically return to finals action.
The reality is that there are injuries, defections, draftees not making the grade, fixture anomalies, bad luck and many other factors along the journey.
Typically, teams in rebuild have rookie coaches, so when the losses continue to mount and the pressure builds, the footy media circles and show no mercy in search of a headline.
Mitchell, the club and supporters are in for some hard yards ahead which after being on top for so long is the way the game is designed to be these days …

100% agree..even with Lewis, who is one of the best key forwards in the comp we were going to finish bottom 4..couple his injury with Gunston moving on and it’s looking more than likely we finish bottom 2.

It’s going to be up to the likes of Wingard (if he doesn’t get injured), Breust and moore to lead the forward line. Jacob Koschitzke is not a number 1 key forward and will be forced to play that role in the early rounds of the season.

Former bulldog Fergus greene will also play early on and hopefully can bring his vfl form from last season, where he was one of the leading goal kickers in the competition.

It’s going to be a long season for the young hawks!

Brisbane.

Posters who are pretty much picking the same finalists with minimal changes are likely to be wrong as in the AFL era, there are always 2-3 changes including someone like Gold Coast jumping into the top 4.

I'm personally picking the Lions for the flag, but there will most likely be major changes to the finalists.

Losing Lewis for an extended period of time will be a disaster for us. Our first 6 games of the season were the best part of the fixture for the year. Games include: Essendon, north Melbourne, gws (in Adelaide) and Adelaide in Tassie. If Lewis misses 4 of those games, we will be lucky to win 2. If we’re 1-5 after 6 games, we will be clear favourite for the spoon.
Its a minor injury , thats a pretty dramatic response to it

Its a minor injury , thats a pretty dramatic response to it

He’s already been ruled out for round 1..with his injury history, especially having injured the same knee last season, he will not be rushed back. The club will be conservative. Whilst it’s not a full ACL tear, it’s obviously a serious strain. I would be surprised if he plays before round 4 or 5. Hope I’m wrong.

He’s already been ruled out for round 1..with his injury history, especially having injured the same knee last season, he will not be rushed back. The club will be conservative. Whilst it’s not a full ACL tear, it’s obviously a serious strain. I would be surprised if he plays before round 4 or 5. Hope I’m wrong.
I'm pretty confident in saying that you have absolutely no idea how serious it is. Missing up to five rounds would imply a 12 week injury. Nothing has been reported that would imply this is the case, let alone state it outright.

How about taking a few deep breaths before you deliver last rites. Your 'sky is falling' schtick is so very tiresome.

Last edited:
Brisbane.

Posters who are pretty much picking the same finalists with minimal changes are likely to be wrong as in the AFL era, there are always 2-3 changes including someone like Gold Coast jumping into the top 4.

I'm personally picking the Lions for the flag, but there will most likely be major changes to the finalists.

I don't have a lot of confidence in anyone who didn't make the 8 last year, of those that didn't. Blues, Port and Suns are a chance to displace a team but consistency not a strong suit for these clubs.

I don't have a lot of confidence in anyone who didn't make the 8 last year, of those that didn't. Blues, Port and Suns are a chance to displace a team but consistency not a strong suit for these clubs.
I have the same 3 ins.

Brisbane.

Obviously. I have no problem with anyone selecting any team to make the finals, you just never know. The hilarity came from the prediction that the Suns would play off for the premiership. I'd love the Suns to play well and be a credible threat but I will happily bet my house that this particular scenario won't happen

A lot of people have Port on the rise.
Would not be surprised if they have an omnishambles year like Collingwood 2021 and finally shake off their coach (I hope so for their sake, it's time for change at Alberton).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back