No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Hat

All Australian
Aug 18, 2018
My head
AFL Club
Carlton
I guess the reason I'm skeptical is because it's another case of turning a black & white rule into one with shades of grey.

At present the player has to dispose of the ball or step outside the line of the mark for it to be play on. Pretty clear. That's not to say the umpires don't occasionally get it wrong, but the rule itself is pretty unambiguous.

Now it sounds like the key consideration in some circumstances will be 'motion to handball', whatever that means. When does it get called? When you're looking over your shoulder? Holding the ball in one hand? Making a fist with the other hand? Moving the fist towards the ball? Does it make a difference if you're doing it quickly or slowly?

And players will try to game this rule too, because that's what happens. Watch for the first time someone goes to handball to someone running past, changes their mind because their target is being closely checked by an opposition player, and then the opposition player (who is inside the protected area because they're with an opponent) changes course to tackle the guy with the ball because they've just motioned to handball.

Seems like yet another a can of worms to me. But I guess it's all speculation until we see the actual announcement.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Stand Rule change coming up it seems... Reported that if a player fakes a handball in a bid to shift the man on the mark will not be awarded a 50m penalty in 2023. Seems good to me.

Good rule or bad rule, this will make the rule harder to officiate.

For a second, remove any mention of the stand rule, it’s now play on if a player pretends to handball.

This is so dumb to me

Last edited:

There’s a few first rounders he drafted on our list that will be getting phone calls if they aren’t getting games…
GOOD if they aren't good enough to get games they don't deserve to clog up the list.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

Fnc_k1SacAE5_hg

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I will always love and revere SOS, but this strikes again as another example of 'jobs for the boys/mates' by Ross at the St Kilda.

Basically surrounding himself with yes men who will pretty not disagree with him at all (Dal Santo, Goddard etc)

Good luck with that Sainters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
supporters read these rule updates and scream but not as loud as the umpires who read them............
Would be maddening the AFL bringing in new rules all the time.

"This new rule will fix the last rule we brought it but didn't think through properly"

jj1978

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting rule changes that make sense.. the 25 second warning is a bit odd. I’d still change rules amongst time wasting that when a player nominates to shoot the whole team must have 30 seconds to attempt a shot else ball becomes an opposition kick at the defensive 50m line. This would eliminate nominating for a shot, waste 30 seconds then chop it 15m to another player further up.

LOGAN HAWK

Rookie
Jan 12, 2023
AFL Club
Carlton
I will always love and revere SOS, but this strikes again as another example of 'jobs for the boys/mates' by Ross at the St Kilda.

Basically surrounding himself with yes men who will pretty not disagree with him at all (Dal Santo, Goddard etc)

Good luck with that Sainters
Thats what smart coaches do whom are wanting to lengthy coaching tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back