First 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich.
Keidean Coleman, Jack Payne, Brandon Starcevich.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Josh Dunkley.
Hugh McCluggage, Dev Robertson, Will Ashcroft.

Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Cam Rayner.
Jack Gunston, Joe Daniher, Lincoln McCarthy.

Dayne Zorko(M/F), Zac Bailey(M/F), Connor McKenna(B), Jarrod Berry(M).

Tactical Sub from- Darcy Fort, Darcy Wilmot, Callum Ah Chee, Kai Lohmann.

Players under pressure to keep their spot in my nominal best 22 are IMO >

Richy at his best is a lock but if he drops off like in did at times in 2022 I expect him to come under pressure from the plethora of options we have in that part of the ground, Connor McKenna for the same reason.

Dev Robertson ticks more boxes than Jarryd Lyons for our midfield mix, however fully fit and with improved defensive run Lyons may be able to nab that spot.

Linc is a lock as well but he did have some down periods last season, maybe Lohmann could pressure him.

Richy at his best is a lock but if he drops off like in did at times in 2022 I expect him to come under pressure from the plethora of options we have in that part of the ground, Connor McKenna for the same reason.

Dev Robertson ticks more boxes than Jarryd Lyons for our midfield mix, however fully fit and with improved defensive run Lyons may be able to nab that spot.

Linc is a lock as well but he did have some down periods last season, maybe Lohmann could pressure him.
Very similar to what I’m thinking as well although I’ve gone a bit younger with Lohmann and Wilmot in for McKenna and Linc.

Personally I think both of those younger guys have pretty special traits while also bringing a safe floor as they’re both good defensively.

Only other change is I believe McCluggage is our 3rd best mid and would play him in the middle alongside Neale and Dunkley. I’ve seen a lot of people moving him back to the wing but last season was his first as a pure mid and IMO he was our second best player. With another off-season to develop and the addition of Dunkley I think he’ll only get better and with his ball use and ability to move through traffic he is the perfect point of difference for those other guys.

Pretty close to what the best 23 will be barring injuries prior to round 1.
My team the same bar one. That last HB position could go to a few players, Ah Chee, Answerth, Madden, McKenna & Wilmot
I do have some players in slightly different positions, but the midfield does rotate a bit.

My best 22 next year after all off season moves and Adams placed on the inactive list, so Payne in is a change from my first go.

Backline:
Gardiner Payne Starcevich
Coleman Andrews Rich

Midfield:
Berry Clugga Robertson
McInerney Neale Dunkley

Forwards:
Bailey Hipwood Rayner
Gunston Daniher Cameron

Interchange:
Zorko McKenna Ashcroft McCarthy

Sub/Depth:
Wilmot Lyons AhChee Answerth Fort Prior Lohmann Tunstill Fullarton Joyce etc etc!

Toss of the coin between McKenna and Wilmot for the last spot on the bench, whoever misses out is the sub for mine.

My best 22 next year after all off season moves and Adams placed on the inactive list, so Payne in is a change from my first go.

Backline:
Gardiner Payne Starcevich
Coleman Andrews Rich

Midfield:
Berry Clugga Robertson
McInerney Neale Dunkley

Forwards:
Bailey Hipwood Rayner
Gunston Daniher Cameron

Interchange:
Zorko McKenna Ashcroft McCarthy

Sub/Depth:
Wilmot Lyons AhChee Answerth Fort Prior Lohmann Tunstill Fullarton Joyce etc etc!

Toss of the coin between McKenna and Wilmot for the last spot on the bench, whoever misses out is the sub for mine.
That is pretty much my best 22 as well however I think 1 or 2 of those will change depending on pre-season form in the praccy match's. Good, strong depth and plenty of pressure on the midfield/wingers to forfill their roles each week or somebody from the 2's will.

Concur with most team selections, but am curious on what will happen in the ruck department. In years gone by, the coaching group has has gone with Oscar/Fort as No.1 ruck with McStay/Fullerton pinch hitting when required. Even Daniher played their in 2021 (and possibly played his best game for us against the Bombers). McStay is McGone and with Daniher's shoulder injury last year, would you risk him? Gunston adds a different dynamic to the Fwd line, and I can't see Hippy going into the middle.
Do they play both Oscar/Fort, especially to match Gawn/Gundy + Darcy/Jackson combinations, meaning 3 mids rotating of the bench and the medi-sub?

Gardiner Payne Rich
Coleman Andrews Starchivich

Berry Neal McCluggage
Oscar Dunkley Ashcroft

Rayner Hipwood Bailey
Cameron Daniher Gunston

Interchange:
Zorko McCarthy Robertson McKenna

McKenna is the one spot up for grabs. Contenders for this spot:

Lohmann
Cockatoo
Answerth
Ah Chee
Madden
Tunstill

Could see any one of these guys making up the last spot depending on preseason form.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Concur with most team selections, but am curious on what will happen in the ruck department. In years gone by, the coaching group has has gone with Oscar/Fort as No.1 ruck with McStay/Fullerton pinch hitting when required. Even Daniher played their in 2021 (and possibly played his best game for us against the Bombers). McStay is McGone and with Daniher's shoulder injury last year, would you risk him? Gunston adds a different dynamic to the Fwd line, and I can't see Hippy going into the middle.
Do they play both Oscar/Fort, especially to match Gawn/Gundy + Darcy/Jackson combinations, meaning 3 mids rotating of the bench and the medi-sub?
If it was a straight 5 subs on the bench and not 1 as a tactical sub I think Fort would have been lock to be one of the 5 subs, not so sure now.

Gardiner Payne Rich
Coleman Andrews Starchivich

Berry Neal McCluggage
Oscar Dunkley Ashcroft

Rayner Hipwood Bailey
Cameron Daniher Gunston

Interchange:
Zorko McCarthy Robertson McKenna

McKenna is the one spot up for grabs. Contenders for this spot:

Lohmann
Cockatoo
Answerth
Ah Chee
Madden
Tunstill

Could see any one of these guys making up the last spot depending on preseason form.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
and Wilmot?

I am assuming Joe does the ruck relief.
Hopefully Jo's shoulder is fine by round one.
I don't think we play Fort & Oscar as that makes us too tall. Also, would reduce our run on the bench.
We do play Melbourne early being round 2 so it may depend on the round 1 Port game result.
Win we stick to the same plan, but a loss may trigger a rethink.
The Melbourne game would be ideal to have Fort as a TS should we beat Port.

B: Gardiner, Payne, Starc
HB: Rich, Andrews, Coleman
C: Lugg, Neale , Bailey
HF: Rayner, Hipwood, Zorko
F: Gunstan, Joe, Cameron
Foll: Omac, Dunks, Berry
Int: Mckenna, Ashcroft, Wilnot/Robbo/Fort/Mcarthy

• Mckenna should play as he brings run and bounce to our predictable backline.
  • Berry in the guts please.
  • Lugg doesn’t contain other mids at stoppages. Wing then mid rotations in general play
  • McCarthy unlucky, but is dropping off. Could be the first of the older guys to lose minutes and games to younger guys
  • Zac Bailey on the wing. Imagine him and Mckenna linking up in open play

Rest pretty straight forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Lugg doesn’t contain other mids at stoppages. Wing then mid rotations in general play
  • McCarthy unlucky, but is dropping off. Could be the first of the older guys to lose minutes and games to younger guys

I believe the reason we don’t play Berry on ball more, is that his shoulder is stuffed and not up to the bash and crash.

I believe the reason we don’t play Berry on ball more, is that his shoulder is stuffed and not up to the bash and crash.
Thought he ran with Oliver 2 games ago,that’s not exactly cotton wooling him

Re McCarthy, for many years he struggled to string games together. Since his move to the Lions he is not only stringing games together, he is now putting full seasons together. I think last season we saw a bit of fatigue due to this. His body will get use to the load increase, he will be much better for it this season. Lohmann has a lot of improvement needed before he takes over Linc's spot.

Also with McKenna, we're all aware of his run etc, something we're taking on faith from past performances. I've not heard one person say, "gee McKenna is great defensively, never misses a tackle and puts the clamp on his opposition." For me this is the area that McKenna needs to prove himself before he can lock down a 1st grade spot. When the general consensus is we need to improve our defense and team defense, he has to show he has that in his game. OK, sure he's not a lockdown defender but he will need to work effectively with the backs and hold his own on his match up.

Last edited:
Neale, Dunkley and Berry rotating through as our contested beasts is a delicious possibility.
homer-homer-simpson.gif

His shoulder OP went according to plan and he should be ready for the "bash & crash" in round 1.;)
He is injury prone so fingers crossed season 2023 will be a injury free run.

Neale Dunkley McCluggage
Berry Ashcroft Bailey
Rayner Zorko Robertson

That has got to be the deepest mid rotations in the league for 2023, and that doesn't even include guys who could potentially rotate or be in the team.

Neale Dunkley McCluggage
Berry Ashcroft Bailey
Rayner Zorko Robertson

That has got to be the deepest mid rotations in the league for 2023, and that doesn't even include guys who could potentially rotate or be in the team.
The top end of those guys are so good I’m not even sure we’ll go that deep. For me one of Neale or Dunkley should be at every single ball-up of the game and I’d even nearly say 2 of Neale, Dunkley and McCluggage should be at every ball-up of the game. This won’t leave too much room for rotations which is a big part of why I’m struggling to fit Lyons into the team as he lacks the versatility of most others.

The top end of those guys are so good I’m not even sure we’ll go that deep. For me one of Neale or Dunkley should be at every single ball-up of the game and I’d even nearly say 2 of Neale, Dunkley and McCluggage should be at every ball-up of the game. This won’t leave too much room for rotations which is a big part of why I’m struggling to fit Lyons into the team as he lacks the versatility of most others.
100% agree on Lyons, unless one of Dunkley or Neale is unavailable there is no room for him in the side.

100% agree on Lyons, unless one of Dunkley or Neale is unavailable there is no room for him in the side.
I suppose it depends on if you rate Dev above a fit Jarrod Lyons.
Dunkley is a different type of mid to either Dev and Jarrod.
It's good to see some spots up for grabs though.

I suppose it depends on if you rate Dev above a fit Jarrod Lyons.
Dunkley is a different type of mid to either Dev and Jarrod.
It's good to see some spots up for grabs though.
As a pure inside mid and extractor Lyons probably gets the nod but we’ve already got two guys who are better than Lyons at that. Dev brings a better mix as he’s more versatile, more athletic and more defensively minded imo.

It makes sense for Lyons to get a go only if Neale is unavailable. Even if Dunkley is out for some reason, we may shuffle Berry from wing to inside and replace a wing rather than bring Lyons in. I'm not even making a case for Robertson, I'm just trying to see where Lyons would fit if both Neale and Dunkley are playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back