Have Geelong become too powerful?

Remove this Banner Ad

We play home games at opposition home grounds in another city, we don’t host finals. There could be literally no other factor at all and that would be one straight away.

And we run at a financial loss in those games relative to what we make at home.

Playing 20 games within an hour of home sounds like a luxury to me.

How dare a player try to get out of a high tackle , it should be like touch footy where as soon as you grab the player you have to give them the ball

Also Joel has never ducked into a tackle like you have claimed …try to learn the difference between the two aspect before making silly claims

He's a ducker, everyone knows this.

I genuinely think having all players salaries public would help a lot with equalisation as it would show some players in teams like Geelong how underpaid they are, and also how much more they could get if they changed clubs.

Side note, I am not sure how much of a thing it is but all 3rd party deals need to be public too. I worry with teams like Geelong and Collingwood that they are hiding their salaries and artificially making their cap bigger by a lot of players having 3rd party deals.
I think their managers can tell them exactly what dollar amount they can get qt another club. If he doesn't then the clubd themselves cone knocking

Simple question with an obvious answer in my eyes.. YES they have become too powerful!! How is it a team can win a grand final by a huge margin, yet still be able to get their hands on pick 7... and trade in players for peanuts who were previously drafted in the first round, just because they played for the Falcons??

Imagine the media outrage if this was one of the big Melbourne clubs?? Instead, all we hear is how it's all down to good management and culture.. when if this was one of the big Melbourne clubs.. all the media commentary would be about how unfairly advantaged the big Melbourne club is, and what needs to be done to curb said advantages.

This all started when Geelong supporter Steve Bracks got into power and began greasing the wheels for the Geelong Football Club.. and surprise surprise, this has turned Geelong into a powerful.. albeit too powerful, football club.
You must have a HUGE disgusted issue with tom lynch walking to Richmond for free then??

I think their managers can tell them exactly what dollar amount they can get qt another club. If he doesn't then the clubd themselves cone knocking
But as Joel Selwood said, you don’t play at Geelong for money

I’ll tell you where Geelong has become too powerful - in defence. Mick McGuane has ranked the Cats defence No.1 in the AFL:

“AFL 2023: Mick McGuane ranks every defence 1 to 18

Mick's verdict: It’s all to do with the personnel for the Cats. Stewart is an All-Australian who has captaincy material written all over him and De Koning and Guthrie emerged significantly last year to complement a strong and experienced group. Esava Ratugolea is officially listed as a ruck-forward but could prove a wildcard this year after making the switch to defence in the VFL in the second half of last season. There is familiarity, trust and importantly an understanding of their roles and defensive responsibilities in this team within the team. Geelong’s great asset is its ability to stifle opposition ball movement through its defensive shape and structure. The Cats ranked No. 1 in 2022 for restricting opposition sides from moving the ball from defensive 50 to inside 50. I see new recruit Bowes as more of a midfielder and with Joel Selwood’s exit, there could be an opportunity to play there instead of being a defender.

The top-liners: Zach Tuohy (24, 90), Jake Kolodjashnij (23, 58), Sam De Koning (23, 65), Jed Bews (23, 48), Mitch Duncan (22, 90), Mark O’Connor (22, 56), Zach Guthrie (21, 69), Tom Stewart (20, 106), Jack Henry (17, 60)”

Last edited:
Putting you on ignore you can’t produce evidence and you act like a child in your “discussions”
Ask anyone supporter from any other club what they think of Selwood, and ducking will come up.
He's a good player, but renowned for ducking and grubby tactics. Which he was rarely called out for, thus tarnishing his reputation.

Putting you on ignore you can’t produce evidence and you act like a child in your “discussions”

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Ask anyone supporter from any other club what they think of Selwood, and ducking will come up.
He's a good player, but renowned for ducking and grubby tactics. Which he was rarely called out for, thus tarnishing his reputation.
And yet not one poster can show me an example of his “ducking” he has never dropped into a tackle, he fends off the tackle which is a big difference and always continues to play on

Just one example it shouldn’t be too hard from his 350 games career, even easier when you got posters also claiming his brothers did it too so that’s an even larger pool to find evidence to back that claim up… and you won’t be cause i have been asking multiple posters this for the last month and not one of them provided me a clip to show Joel or his brothers ducking intk a tackle or slamming their heads into other players to draw a free .

It’s ok not to like him, but to claim he ducks and cheats it’s childish when you can’t back that claim up.

Last edited:

Exactly, and the 'not called out for it', is the important part. If you're in the 'good bloke' club, you're set for life. Hodge/ Selwood were 'tough'. Crowley, Ballantyne, Toby Greene are 'dirty'. If Hodge/ Selwood couldn't make a contest, they were the worst in the league at sniping people. 'oh did I accidentally hit you in the face with a swinging arm in a tackle, sorry. Did I accidentally fall and put my full weight on my elbow through your face while you were on the ground, sorry.' Hodge wasn't nearly as bad at staging for free kicks, but the two of them had the best 'teapot' in the AFL. Like they were personally offended if they didn't get some call that everyone in the ground could see wasn't there. Charlie Dixon being one of the better forwards in 2021 off one leg and triple teamed every contest is tough. Jay Schulz playing through horrendous injuries to the point that he is now genuinely unwell as a late 30s man is tough. SPP playing like a human wrecking ball, getting hit himself, getting straight back up tapping the opposition player on the bum, and getting straight back into position without having to remonstrate to prove he's 'tough' is tough. Looking for players that are prone on the ground so you can hit them just hard enough to not get suspended, leading with the head, and then turning to the umpire with arms outstretched isn't tough. Selwood would sit under a ball that 99.9% of AFL players would sit under and some moron commentator like BT would say 'What a tuff player Selwood is, tuff ... TUFF!'.

Selwood trying to draw a high free:

Zidane GIF

Say what you want about any player, I've never seen worse than Selwood. Would duck into a tackle, headbutt the opposition with the back of his head and wriggle around trying to suck in the umpire, and then teapot if he didn't get the right call. Makes me angry knowing that if we had a player who played the same way, not only would they get about half the free kicks that Selwood did, but commentators would use it to justify why legitimate ones to other players in the team were not paid.
That's BS. Selwood would nearly always keep his feet in tackle unlike those that fall into high tackles. His technique of shoulder shrugging was a way of breaking the tackle and would almost always work.

Headbutting players? That's a new one.

I noticed you had to use a soccer gif. Surely there is a plethora of Selwood gifs out there you can use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood's best 'duck' was in the 2009 GF. Still the new kid on the block but bulldozing his way through in one of the most physical GFs in recent times. I speak for everyone - non Geelong supporters included - that we all loved seeing him go out as a premiership captain in the most fitting farewell there could be. The People's captain.

Last edited:
That's BS. Selwood would nearly always keep his feet in tackle unlike those that fall into high tackles. His technique of shoulder shrugging was a way of breaking the tackle and would almost always work.

Headbutting players? That's a new one.

I noticed you had to use a soccer gif. Surely there is a plethora of Selwood gifs out there you can use.

There are plenty of gifs out there that I could use, I just choose to call out the behavior that has been ignored by media and therefore has received less coverage over the years.

You are either blind or dont watch games

why should anybody show you an example
I would suggest I watched far more of Joel’s games than what you did , if it was so common that he ducked into tackles surely there would be tons of clips showing this? After all you are claiming there are examples of him doing this right ?

As Inhave said he broke or evaded tackles and stood firm unless taken high and played on despite being tackled …355 games and not one single clip showing him to drop into a tackle or “head butting” or “ramming” his head into opposition players

I think you’re the one that needs their eyes checked and to reevaluate what ducking actually means

I would suggest I watched far more of Joel’s games than what you did , if it was so common that he ducked into tackles surely there would be tons of clips showing this? After all you are claiming there are examples of him doing this right ?

As Inhave said he broke or evaded tackles and stood firm unless taken high and played on despite being tackled …355 games and not one single clip showing him to drop into a tackle or “head butting” or “ramming” his head into opposition players

I think you’re the one that needs their eyes checked and to reevaluate what ducking actually means
Hate to do this, but here is clear, unequivocal proof of Selwood ducking. I can bring up at least three more times where he performed the exact same action if you want.

View attachment selwood ducking.mp4

You know how burden of proof works right?
The thing is, I am sure there's footage of Selwood playing for a free like every contemporary midfielder. And from the shooting stars videos, it's not like people don't have time and means to produce it. The fact is if you were to do a montage of Selwood's frees, you would be able to justify Selwoods action in the vast majority of them due to him breaking the tackle, keeping his feet, playing on, etc. It makes those few gotcha ones look insignificant and petty. I'm sure many people have tried and come to that conclusion. For them it's easier to just take cheap shots on forums about a vibe.

He is a ducker mate and in my book thats cheating
been doing it for years

get your head out of the sand

just a 10 second search

30 seconds in in slow motion is his famous technique

Enjoy

You know how burden of proof works right?

I've always found you to be a reasonable poster so I'll take your opinion as genuinely held rather than the trolling and pearl clutching that regularly goes on BF. Do you honestly think Selwood is not one of the worst offenders at drawing free kicks that he could have avoided? Additionally, do you honestly think he is not one of the worst offenders at 'trying' to draw free kicks that are not warranted (i.e ducks and it isn't paid)? The example I gave of Hodges head massages and dirty 'almost' suspension worthy hits, do you agree with that? Hodge being a dirty player is about as universal a truism as Selwood being a ducker (plenty of BF posters would agree) and I bet you won't find footage of that either. If the commentators don't call it out live, it never gets any attention from the media and there is no footage. Noone is going to cut up a 'Hodge head massages and cheap shots' package.

Back to Selwood, Strange Cat is right, I am sure he has watched more games of Selwood than I have. Having said that, I still probably watch him play 5-6 times a year between Port, Crows, and 'high profile' games. The last couple of years, he toned it down, but for a good 10-year block it was the same script with any game I saw him play. He would do absolutely everything he could to be hit high. He would duck to pick the ball up and deliberately run into the opposition's shins (when they had stopped dead) and throw the head back. When trying to sidestep, he would lower his body to make sure the tackle went high and throw the head back. If it didn't go high, he'd push the arm up to try and push it up above the shoulder. If that didn't work and he was on the ground with a player standing/ crouching over him, he would literally try to wriggle up their arm and headbutt the opposition players arm with the side/back of his head repeatedly. If he didn't get a free kick, he would go and have a whinge to the umpire. He would do these sorts of acts 5-10 times a game quite often and whilst many times they wouldn't be paid, inevitably 1-2 times a game he would get a high free from contact that he initiated.

Any one of those things I mentioned other players do/have done. I have just never seen a player do all of them as regularly as Selwood and the stats bare out the fact that he gets ALOT more free kicks than anyone else. With finals he might have played a few extra games than most, but when you're looking at a set period like 2010-19 and similar players that played the whole decade like Pendlebury, Boak, Ablett, Cotchin are nowhere near him, you have to admit that is just a bit sus? Do they not put their head over the ball at every contest? Do they not get just as much contested ball? His behavior is especially galling in light of the way other players were treated. Robbie Gray got mugged in the forward line for the backhalf of his career, you'd see a slow-motion replay of a clear free and the commentators would justify it on the basis that 'he was playing it up by waving his arms and complaining to the umpire' while 3 players are gangbanging him. Ginnivan, Weightman, they have been pulled up mighty quick. Meanwhile, Selwood as a 'stalward' of the game and part of the 'good bloke' club that commentator's crap on about can teapot and complain incessantly and not only not get fewer frees than he should get, but quite a few more.

Feel free to agree or disagree with any or all of that.

He is a ducker mate and in my book thats cheating
been doing it for years

get your head out of the sand

just a 10 second search

30 seconds in in slow motion is his famous technique

Enjoy

So where’s the ducking? I saw him shrug to get out of a high tackle but I don’t see him ducking into a tackle ….strange that you think that’s ducking and he even continues to play on …amazing

So that’s your one magic clip out of 355 games and it wasnt even ducking

Hilarious

Remove this Banner Ad

Back