Have Geelong become too powerful?

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I really doubt Selwood gives an actual s**t what some numpties on big footy reckons.

Yeah he ducked. he is also a 4-time premiership winner with one of if not the best winning records of any player who has ever touched a Sherrin.

it is not Selwood's problem he played within the laws of the game. It is the AFL who continually takes a soft utensil approach on staging and playing for free kicks. Until they start banning players for it, they will continue to play and stage for free kicks.
Yet he never ducked or played for a free kick and continued to play on in most cases when tackled

That’s the point

Yet he never ducked or played for a free kick and continued to play on in most cases when tackled

That’s the point

That's just a complete crock of crap but whatever. Selwood is a gun who played as the AFL allowed him too.

if the AFL wants to stamp out staging/playing for free kicks than its on them. Not Selwood.

PrisonBars4life

Club Legend
May 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting how Cats fans totally discredit Mathews opinion when he said Dustin Martin is the only player that compares to him and call him an old fool and so so.

But are happy to quote him when its suits them

You guys are really a 'special' breed of cat

Meanwhile if Joel Selwood played in the same era as Leigh Matthews, he wouldn't dare play the way he did. Would have been in a wheelchair inside 100 games. Instead, he milked and exploited rules designed to protect him, whilst opposition players tried to avoid hurting him/ giving away a free. But poor old social media saying mean things about Joely.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
That's just a complete crock of crap but whatever. Selwood is a gun who played as the AFL allowed him too.

if the AFL wants to stamp out staging/playing for free kicks than its on them. Not Selwood.
It isn’t crap look at other players like Ginivan and Puopolo those players are the clear difinition of ducking into tackles and dropping to the ground as soon as they are tackled for a free kick

Joel didn’t do that

FreddyTwoShoes

All Australian
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting how Cats fans totally discredit Mathews opinion when he said Dustin Martin is the only player that compares to him and call him an old fool and so so.

But are happy to quote him when its suits them

You guys are really a 'special' breed of cat

Interesting how Tigers fans totally discredit Mathews opinion on Selwood, but are happy to quote him when it suits them. What a 'special' breed of cat.

PrisonBars4life

Club Legend
May 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I really doubt Selwood gives an actual s**t what some numpties on big footy reckons.

Yeah he ducked and played for free kicks. But he is also a 4-time premiership winner with one of if not the best winning records of any player who has ever touched a Sherrin.

It is not Selwood's problem he played within the laws of the game. It is the AFL who continually takes a soft utensil approach on staging and playing for free kicks. Until they start banning players for it, they will continue to play and stage for free kicks.

People should lay the blame on the AFL. Not Selwood and others.

We can do both. AFL are absolute soft utensils on the issue enabled by the media/commentators sweeping certain 'good blokes' records under the carpet. We can also call out Selwood for being a cheat. People call Kochie a campaigner on here all the time. 'um well actually, he's a really successful person so you're just jelly.' Kochie can be 2 things. He can be a highly successful person ... and a campaigner. Sir Donald Bradman was most definitely the best sportsperson in Australian history and likely the best anywhere and he was known to be a massive tool. Bradman isn't a lord sitting above us all. He's not above criticism nor is Selwood. You'll note that I was saying positive things about him playing for sfa money in the back end of his career and is basically irreplaceable. I can say good things and bad things about people if its an accurate account of their achievements. Warren Tredrea is the greatest AFL era player for Port adelaide, Premiership captain, 4xAA, a gun, an underrated player due to having a stuffed knee his entire career, the 2nd best CHF ever, and basically the second coming of Jesus. He's also a w***er who, whenever he is quoted in the media, the collective spinchters on the Port board pucker up ever so slightly.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
And yet not one poster can show me an example of his “ducking” he has never dropped into a tackle, he fends off the tackle which is a big difference and always continues to play on

Just one example it shouldn’t be too hard from his 350 games career, even easier when you got posters also claiming his brothers did it too so that’s an even larger pool to find evidence to back that claim up… and you won’t be cause i have been asking multiple posters this for the last month and not one of them provided me a clip to show Joel or his brothers ducking intk a tackle or slamming their heads into other players to draw a free .

It’s ok not to like him, but to claim he ducks and cheats it’s childish when you can’t back that claim up.
Its australian tall poppy syndrome at its finest. He is seen as thr poster boy of the most hated club in the AFL during a period of unprecidented AFL to dominance that is driving supporters nuts. So they lash out at him calling him everything under the sun.

Imagine if selwood played for gold coast suns his entire career. He would be considered a “good bloke” and a “tough warrior”.

He has become the enemy image of success.

Aa for his so called “ducking” it was given the green tick of approval for ages by the rules committee who studied it and this was defended by none other than kevin bartlett who said “ he has every right to attempt to break the tackler and challenge their technique”

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Its australian tall poppy syndrome at its finest. He is seen as thr poster boy of the most hated club in the AFL during a period of unprecidented AFL to dominance that is driving supporters nuts. So they lash out at him calling him everything under the sun.

Imagine if selwood played for gold coast suns his entire career. He would be considered a “good bloke” and a “tough warrior”.

He has become the enemy image of success.

Aa for his so called “ducking” it was given the green tick of approval for ages by the rules committee who studied it and this was defended by none other than kevin bartlett who said “ he has every right to attempt to break the tackler and challenge their technique”
The answer was so easy for the opposition…just tackle him around the waist …which I only saw some do once or twice in his entire AFL career…the issue was they would rather get him high than allow him to break the tackle and dish off the ball to a teammate

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I'm arguing that he absolutely did that. He would both pick the ball up and dive forward at a stationary tackler and if caught high would teapot to the umpire and also would pick up the ball and hold off on standing up properly for an extra half a second while on the move to initiate high contact with a stationary tackler. He would absolutely throw his head back as well. I am not sure Soccer is a great analogy. It is an absolute dogshit sport, not because of the game itself but the bullshit gamesmanship. It is unwatchable with pansies on the ground pretending to be injured all the time. Soccer supporters would use the same arguments that you have where someone milked contact that occurred. I can also guarantee that if Port were playing in Geelong and we got a couple of those free kicks, your supporters would be going feral.
This is some nice alice in wonderland storytelling here. There are a few head drop and divers in the AFL, selwood for sure isnt one. He bends at the knees and tries to shrug a tackle over his shoulders or basically slip them off so he can dish a handpass off or fully slip them off and run off on his own accord.

We can do both. AFL are absolute soft utensils on the issue enabled by the media/commentators sweeping certain 'good blokes' records under the carpet. We can also call out Selwood for being a cheat. People call Kochie a campaigner on here all the time. 'um well actually, he's a really successful person so you're just jelly.' Kochie can be 2 things. He can be a highly successful person ... and a campaigner. Sir Donald Bradman was most definitely the best sportsperson in Australian history and likely the best anywhere and he was known to be a massive tool. Bradman isn't a lord sitting above us all. He's not above criticism nor is Selwood. You'll note that I was saying positive things about him playing for sfa money in the back end of his career and is basically irreplaceable. I can say good things and bad things about people if its an accurate account of their achievements. Warren Tredrea is the greatest AFL era player for Port adelaide, Premiership captain, 4xAA, a gun, an underrated player due to having a stuffed knee his entire career, the 2nd best CHF ever, and basically the second coming of Jesus. He's also a w***er who, whenever he is quoted in the media, the collective spinchters on the Port board pucker up ever so slightly.

I suppose that's opinion based.

Anyone who suggests Selwood is not playing for free kicks is biased as all hell, but does that make him a cheat? I'm not sure about that.

I lay the blame squarely at the AFL. They have the power and the ability to remove it from the game. Until they act on it is their problem. Players look for any type of advantage they can get in any game played on earth. It's up to the governing body to manage it. Not the players themselves.

Prior to the 2023 season all the AFL has to do is issue a MEMO to the clubs that they will be cracking down on staging/diving in post game reviews (there is no way we can expect umpires to manage it on the field with the pace of the game the way it is). If you do it once, it's a $2000 fine, do it twice and it's a 1 game ban. It will literally stop within the first 6 rounds.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I suppose that's opinion based.

Anyone who suggests Selwood is not playing for free kicks is biased as all hell, but does that make him a cheat? I'm not sure about that.

I lay the blame squarely at the AFL. They have the power and the ability to remove it from the game. Until they act on it is their problem. Players look for any type of advantage they can get in any game played on earth. It's up to the governing body to manage it. Not the players themselves.

Prior to the 2023 season all the AFL has to do is issue a MEMO to the clubs that they will be cracking down on staging/diving in post game reviews (there is no way we can expect umpires to manage it on the field with the pace of the game the way it is). If you do it once, it's a $2000 fine, do it twice and it's a 1 game ban. It will literally stop within the first 6 rounds.
Somehow you are equating breaking out of a tackle to diving

Joel’s technique was given the green light after the AFL reviewed it , there’s a reason why Ginivan is penalised and Joel wasn’t….one was trying to break out of a tackle to continue the play …the other was diving and staging for free kicks.

It’s only the salty ones that tries to paint Joel as a cheat , he had 355 games for the AFL to step in they didn’t see him breaching any rules and he didn’t play for free kicks

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Yet he never ducked or played for a free kick
Happy Excuse Me GIF

Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
No AFL team

Joel’s technique was given the green light after the AFL reviewed it , there’s a reason why Ginivan is penalised and Joel wasn’t….one was trying to break out of a tackle to continue the play …the other was diving and staging for free kicks.

It’s only the salty ones that tries to paint Joel as a cheat , he had 355 games for the AFL to step in they didn’t see him breaching any rules and he didn’t play for free kicks
I don't think he ducked at all. Did he manipulate his movements that would advantage his team the best. Yes. Being a free for too high or evade the tackle and dish off.

Tough to find vision of him not stopping until the whistle is blown when caught high.

All these flogs calling him a cheat would've killed for his services on and off the field. In order to cheat, one must break the rules. He didn't.

Jealousy is a curse.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

The amount of times i have seen dusty martin shovd his hand into someones throat and then push them off and its called “ play on” would suggest more of cheating than selwood. One is an illegal action and the other is trying to break a tackle.

Freddy Swift

All Australian
Jul 25, 2022
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Dear richmond fans. Is kevin bartlett also an cheat during his time for bouncing the ball before being tackled to draw a holding the man free kick?

I assume you all think kevin bartlett is a cheat of the AFL

Clearly you weren’t around when Bartlett played because if you had been you would know the rule was changed to counter that very action. I think it was Ron Barassi who complained to the VFL about it.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Clearly you weren’t around when Bartlett played because if you had been you would know the rule was changed to counter that very action. I think it was Ron Barassi who complained to the VFL about it.
So was bartlett then a cheat for doing this when he did?? i assume you accept this fact then with such selwood opinions, that bartlett spent a portion of his career a cheat

Back