Review Pre-Season Games 2023

Mr Cheese

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
You forget that we announced one two years ago?
It didn't reference cooking, or smells, so did it really count?
giphy.gif

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I feel like defensively you’re better off having Walker, but Wilson offensively is the better option. Panics less. Whatever defensive benefit from Walker will probably be overshadowed by his turnovers.

I think they like Walker not only because of his defensive efforts, but also he breaks lines with his speed which you don't see Wilson do too much of.

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I feel like defensively you’re better off having Walker, but Wilson offensively is the better option. Panics less. Whatever defensive benefit from Walker will probably be overshadowed by his turnovers.
Yeah, it’s a tough call. i don’t even know my own preference - possibly to give walker a bit more time to solidify his game at wafl level for part of this season, get him to work on his deficiencies while willo plays in the seniors.

Glaucus

Debutant
Feb 13, 2012
All at sea
AFL Club
Fremantle
I got around to watching the final qtr, one query-
Where flour bags?
I only saw 1 all game, tabs to shooter.

The forward line looks much more dynamic than last year, plenty of movement and the forwards all could play like fwds.
The kicks coming in we’re noticeably lower trajectory.
Midfield tried to move the ball fwd quickly as well.
Treacy’s marking was heaps better than last year, it was his main weakness previously but looks to have worked on it.
His tackles still have plenty of intent, opposition backs gonna be surprised when he hits them.

Smart small fwds should be able to feast off the mayhem Treacy and Fyfe are going to cause.

Brodie looks to be moving up a level.
Midfield solid and big Sean’s goal of taking more marks looks in hand.
Henry showed skill and strength and kept width.

The backs looked confident, just add an easy to anger Ryan to the mix.

I’m looking forward to the season.
Selection panel will have some tough weeks.

SiempreFreo

All Australian
Sep 29, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bit of an irrelevancy, but when I finally got to watch replay (thnx Snuff) what a pleasant surprise to hear Pav sounding like a real person and perfectly OK commentator, with ample Freo positives to boot.

Maybe he's been getting less wooden during the regular seasons but I wouldn't have known - I found his commentaries so values- and value-neutral I usually tuned him out, even though it went against the grain to diss our mighty Pav.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Willo def breaks lines, and I’d argue that he does so more effectively because he doesn’t try to side step 9 players in the process
Walkers strength which is definitely worth highlighting is his strength one-on-one in contest. He is a strong bugger and doesn’t get muscled off the line of the ball and doesn’t lose his feet. Wilson is at the moment better ball user. Wilson though is easily pushed off the ball in a contest. Often does an exaggerated dive forward.

Walker I agree tries to do too much and then gets himself into trouble often leading to kick under pressure. Prime example whatever quarter it was where he broke the lines but then went again taking a bounce. A bounce that was under pressure dribbled awkwardly out in front - losing clear possession and somehow lost his boot in the process. If he just kicked it a second before he went the bounce would have been perfect. He is a work in progress. When it comes off it is good and he has laced out some forwards when he has kicked at the right time. Running around too many players taking an unnecessary bounce drives the forwards insane.

Line ball for mine on who gets the nod. Prob 55% Walker vs 45% Wilson. He wouldn’t want to have another game like the Collingwood final or he will be dropped to Peel to work on his decision making.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty annoyed at Kayo stripping me of my chance to positively wildly overreact to the win against Port. Thanks to those that put up the AFL replay info.

My takeaway from the preseason games is that we look very similar to last year. The main difference is we tried to take it on more through the corridor with moderate success. It'll help us score more but we're going to give up goals doing it against good sides. Hopefully we give up 2 to get 3 or something.

Also stoked that Henry looks good and hopeful that Sturt will get some chances this year given he now defends. Fyfe could easily kick 40+ goals because as Jonas showed, the KPDs they put on him might have similar or greater strength, but can't get near him on the ground. The only KPDs I worry about are the super athletic ones with footy smarts like Moore. He'll probably have to take Tabs though.

Adelaide look like they're going to pull a Gold Coast and blow their load too early.
NTTIAWWT...

Sucks for us since we play them in like round 7. Could lose two on the bounce if GC also peak before the bye as usual.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we've actually improved and are ready to go to the next level as a team, we should beat both of them comfortably.
I've edited my above. I'm not sure we have as a team, tbh, and I expect both of them to be significantly better this year.

We might improve via individuals though and that's hard to pick out from 2 pre-season games. Fyfe the most obvious one.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
I've edited my above. I'm not sure we have as a team, tbh, and I expect both of them to be significantly better this year.

We might improve via individuals though and that's hard to pick out from 2 pre-season games. Fyfe the most obvious one.

I think it'll be more than the individuals that came in, it's what they allow to happen as far as the knock on effects go.

For example, JOM coming in while having Brodie and then the natural growth of Serong and Brayshaw, allows Fyfe to relinquish the captaincy, trim his body up, focus his mind entirely on being a forward. We get Jackson who allows us to rotate him and Darcy and have Tabs etc coming up the wings for when the corridor gets crowded. But we also don't lose a mid for a tall to allow that.

Trying the run and gun from the midfield up when you also then have arguably the best defensive back 7 in the game is a pretty good bet that you'll get those 3 for the 2.

If JL is smart, he will use our flexibility as our secret weapon. There will be so many set plays and options that oppo research on us will mean next to nothing. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

We're completely different to last year imo, like a generational shift, not just a slight improvement. I think the only thing standing in our way is how much a of a logjam the top 4 is going to be for the next few years.

If it was one of those seasons where there's an obvious number 1 team and then daylight, it'd be ours 100%.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think it'll be more than the individuals that came in, it's what they allow to happen as far as the knock on effects go.

For example, JOM coming in while having Brodie and then the natural growth of Serong and Brayshaw, allows Fyfe to relinquish the captaincy, trim his body up, focus his mind entirely on being a forward. We get Jackson who allows us to rotate him and Darcy and have Tabs etc coming up the wings for when the corridor gets crowded. But we also don't lose a mid for a tall to allow that.

Trying the run and gun from the midfield up when you also then have arguably the best defensive back 7 in the game is a pretty good bet that you'll get those 3 for the 2.

If JL is smart, he will use our flexibility as our secret weapon. There will be so many set plays and options that oppo research on us will mean next to nothing. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

We're completely different to last year imo, like a generational shift, not just a slight improvement. I think the only thing standing in our way is how much a of a logjam the top 4 is going to be for the next few years.

If it was one of those seasons where there's an obvious number 1 team and then daylight, it'd be ours 100%.
I love the positivity, lets hope you're on the money.

88mph

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle

Maybe we will be the obvious number 1 team….

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Like your comments here, although I don't really have confidence in Longmuir using our flexibility as our secret weapon. Sure some players rotate a bit, but that's pretty standard.

The kind if coaching mindset I don't expect is one designed specifically to counter an opponent with a clear advantage such as we saw with Collingwood. A do like a couple of drops of Malcolm Blight in my ideal coaching formula, and a few drops of the Essence of Terror would be a great addition in 2023 (I'm looking at Josh Treacy here).

Freo Midfield (Codesports) - 07/03/23

greatgatsby

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2010
The Seat of Power
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Commanders, Black Ducks

Fremantle’s new midfield coach Joel Corey is adding more flair, movement and proactivity to Dockers’ star-studded engine room​

Freo’s clash with Port pitted new midfield coach Joel Corey against former boss Josh Carr for the first time. ELIZA REILLY analyses what we learned.

3 min read
March 7, 2023 - 9:00AM
Fremantle’s remodelled midfield has a new creative license.

Fremantle’s midfield has been given licence to play with more flair this season under new midfield coach Joel Corey.
Corey has taken the reins of the Dockers’ star-studded midfield this season after Josh Carr returned home to South Australia to take up a role with Port Adelaide.

The three-time premiership Cat has been a development coach at Fremantle for the past two seasons and has been instrumental in the trajectory of the Dockers’ emerging midfielders.
Vice-captain Caleb Serong said Corey’s influence had gone to another level after stepping into an assistant role under senior coach Justin Longmuir.

“He’s someone that gives you a lot of confidence. He wants you to go out there and back yourself,” Serong said. “As you can probably see, there’s a little bit more movement around stoppage now. He wants us to be proactive.
“It’s understanding where we want to hit the ball, where our strengths are and trying to use those as much as we can. We can get to work with supreme confidence really that he’s got our back. We’ve learnt a lot from him taking over but the crux of our game has stayed the same and that’s our contest and the ability to spread.
“Nothing has changed from the basics of our game but he’s added a bit of flair.”
Thursday’s 31-point pre-season win over Port Adelaide was just the second time Corey has taken charge of Fremantle’s midfield against opposition.
It also pitted him against former superior Carr for the first time.
And in the battle of mentee and mentor, Corey claimed the points.
Fremantle won hit-outs (44-26), clearances (39-33), centre clearances (12-10) and stoppage clearances (27-23). Will Brodie (36 disposals and nine clearances), Andrew Brayshaw (36 and three) and Serong (32 and eight) all dominated while new recruit Jaeger O‘Meara overcame a slow start to finish with 22 touches.

Those four players combined for 58 handball receives, an indication of the group’s ability to link up out of stoppages. The talented quartet also had a direct impact on the scoreboard.
Against Port, Fremantle scored one goal from a centre clearance, three from throw-in clearances around the ground and four from pressure and turnovers. One was sourced from coast to coast, one came courtesy of a free kick and three started with intercept marks.
The Dockers also kicked three goals from centre clearances against Adelaide a week earlier.
But, crucially, Fremantle only conceded one goal to the Crows from a clearance and none to Port. Fremantle’s on-ballers are just as invested in defence as offence.
Further analysis of the engine room’s performance against Port reveals that the fundamentals of Fremantle’s style have not drastically changed under Corey.
The Dockers on average won the most disposals out of any club last year with 383.3. As a collective, they had 397 against Port. Led by Sean Darcy, Fremantle averaged 42.9 hit-outs last season and had 44 in its final pre-season hitout.
Kicks (218.5 and 233), handballs (164.8 and 164), inside 50s (51.7 and 45) and clearances (37.9 and 39) followed a similar pattern.
The big queries that will be answered early in the season are how Fremantle manage Darcy and big-money recruit Luke Jackson in the ruck. Where will ‘Mr. Fix It’ James Aish be best utilised? And can O’Meara fill the void left by retired club great David Mundy?

But the biggest question is whether Fremantle’s stable midfield can connect with a new-look forward line. Matt Taberner, Josh Treacy and Nat Fyfe played just 24 games combined last season but the trio are expected to spearhead the Dockers’ attack in 2023.
Fremantle has said it’s making minor modifications to its stingy team defence. But the focus has been put on ball movement and consistently seeking out scoring opportunities.
“It’s always going to get better,” Serong said of the evolving midfield-forward chemistry.
“Our aim is to improve every week. We had a few times during match simulation and intra-clubs where we had the As versus the Bs and we were able to get our cohesion starting to work then. We’re only three or four games in with that mix but that connection is only going to get greater.
“We’re getting some good looks but there have been times when there are better options.”
There is still much to play out for Fremantle’s midfield in 2023 and questions about just how far a firing engine room can take the Dockers. What we do know is that they expect a similar DNA with a touch more proactivity.
That is the Corey mantra.
“He’s got a wealth of experience and his knowledge of the game is beyond anything I’ve heard,” said second-year midfielder Neil Erasmus. “It’s been a real privilege to learn from someone like him and none of us take it for granted.”

Quazar

Cancelled
Aug 31, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester United, Colorado Aves

Fremantle’s new midfield coach Joel Corey is adding more flair, movement and proactivity to Dockers’ star-studded engine room​

Freo’s clash with Port pitted new midfield coach Joel Corey against former boss Josh Carr for the first time. ELIZA REILLY analyses what we learned.

3 min read
March 7, 2023 - 9:00AM

Fremantle’s midfield has been given licence to play with more flair this season under new midfield coach Joel Corey.
Corey has taken the reins of the Dockers’ star-studded midfield this season after Josh Carr returned home to South Australia to take up a role with Port Adelaide.

The three-time premiership Cat has been a development coach at Fremantle for the past two seasons and has been instrumental in the trajectory of the Dockers’ emerging midfielders.
Vice-captain Caleb Serong said Corey’s influence had gone to another level after stepping into an assistant role under senior coach Justin Longmuir.

“He’s someone that gives you a lot of confidence. He wants you to go out there and back yourself,” Serong said. “As you can probably see, there’s a little bit more movement around stoppage now. He wants us to be proactive.
“It’s understanding where we want to hit the ball, where our strengths are and trying to use those as much as we can. We can get to work with supreme confidence really that he’s got our back. We’ve learnt a lot from him taking over but the crux of our game has stayed the same and that’s our contest and the ability to spread.
“Nothing has changed from the basics of our game but he’s added a bit of flair.”
Thursday’s 31-point pre-season win over Port Adelaide was just the second time Corey has taken charge of Fremantle’s midfield against opposition.
It also pitted him against former superior Carr for the first time.
And in the battle of mentee and mentor, Corey claimed the points.
Fremantle won hit-outs (44-26), clearances (39-33), centre clearances (12-10) and stoppage clearances (27-23). Will Brodie (36 disposals and nine clearances), Andrew Brayshaw (36 and three) and Serong (32 and eight) all dominated while new recruit Jaeger O‘Meara overcame a slow start to finish with 22 touches.

Those four players combined for 58 handball receives, an indication of the group’s ability to link up out of stoppages. The talented quartet also had a direct impact on the scoreboard.
Against Port, Fremantle scored one goal from a centre clearance, three from throw-in clearances around the ground and four from pressure and turnovers. One was sourced from coast to coast, one came courtesy of a free kick and three started with intercept marks.
The Dockers also kicked three goals from centre clearances against Adelaide a week earlier.
But, crucially, Fremantle only conceded one goal to the Crows from a clearance and none to Port. Fremantle’s on-ballers are just as invested in defence as offence.
Further analysis of the engine room’s performance against Port reveals that the fundamentals of Fremantle’s style have not drastically changed under Corey.
The Dockers on average won the most disposals out of any club last year with 383.3. As a collective, they had 397 against Port. Led by Sean Darcy, Fremantle averaged 42.9 hit-outs last season and had 44 in its final pre-season hitout.
Kicks (218.5 and 233), handballs (164.8 and 164), inside 50s (51.7 and 45) and clearances (37.9 and 39) followed a similar pattern.
The big queries that will be answered early in the season are how Fremantle manage Darcy and big-money recruit Luke Jackson in the ruck. Where will ‘Mr. Fix It’ James Aish be best utilised? And can O’Meara fill the void left by retired club great David Mundy?

But the biggest question is whether Fremantle’s stable midfield can connect with a new-look forward line. Matt Taberner, Josh Treacy and Nat Fyfe played just 24 games combined last season but the trio are expected to spearhead the Dockers’ attack in 2023.
Fremantle has said it’s making minor modifications to its stingy team defence. But the focus has been put on ball movement and consistently seeking out scoring opportunities.
“It’s always going to get better,” Serong said of the evolving midfield-forward chemistry.
“Our aim is to improve every week. We had a few times during match simulation and intra-clubs where we had the As versus the Bs and we were able to get our cohesion starting to work then. We’re only three or four games in with that mix but that connection is only going to get greater.
“We’re getting some good looks but there have been times when there are better options.”
There is still much to play out for Fremantle’s midfield in 2023 and questions about just how far a firing engine room can take the Dockers. What we do know is that they expect a similar DNA with a touch more proactivity.
That is the Corey mantra.
“He’s got a wealth of experience and his knowledge of the game is beyond anything I’ve heard,” said second-year midfielder Neil Erasmus. “It’s been a real privilege to learn from someone like him and none of us take it for granted.”
Top read, love the nuggets of little insights like this

Back