Have other sides caught up tactically to geelong??

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Early days, but from the limited exposure of new styles so far this pre season have sides adjusted the way they play to compete with the benchmark set in 2022 and go that next step further?? Or do you feel some clubs are lagging behind.

To put out my thoughts, I felt that geelong played a style of game that was entirely moving away from positional football in the literal sense to a full blown 18 man rolling ball movement and defensive structure. This started with our coaching structure being torn down and reinvented to replace the old system of defensive coach, midfield coach, forward coach, with a new innovative system of coaches based off specific game ideologies such as ball movement, stoppages, defensive structures, offensive transition etc that had the entire team train as one collective unit.

The result was a team which played collectively as a 18 man defensive group that also ran in waves up and down the field for fast effective transition like no other team was capable of in 2022.

We also went away from the concept of a star studded group of midfielders being plonked out around the ball for 80-90% of game time, and instead rotated 6-10 players around the ball to share the bash and crash load. Something sides like Melbourne and bulldogs did not do.

You could go into more detail, but this is the simple observations.

Back to back is the real measure.
Not always, I thought Richmond in 2018 were better than 2019, but they got a few injuries, had some luck go against them, and then Collingwood pulled out a worldie in the PF.

Plenty of great teams haven't gone back to back, I think the real measure is consistency. Geelong won the flag last year, so a PF should be the minimum. A GF would confirm their tactics are spot on.

Is Geelong 2022 the greatest tactical side of all time?
odd comment, didn't insinuate that. Most years there is a tactical benchmark set from generally the premiers which most teams use to dissect and improve on to overcome or better.

Think this is part of the reason B2B is so hard to achieve.

Not always, I thought Richmond in 2018 were better than 2019, but they got a few injuries, had some luck go against them, and then Collingwood pulled out a worldie in the PF.

Plenty of great teams haven't gone back to back, I think the real measure is consistency. Geelong won the flag last year, so a PF should be the minimum. A GF would confirm their tactics are spot on.
i think a GF win by 81 points has already confirmed our tactics have been spot on.

you said a GF win would confirm their tactics are "spot on". our tactics have already been validated as spot on. If we don't go B2B i think many other things will be in line for blame first.
As in, this year, 2023. If Geelongs tactics get them to a GF or a Premiership it means teams haven't caught up, and they are spot on.

As in, this year, 2023. If Geelongs tactics get them to a GF or a Premiership it means teams haven't caught up, and they are spot on.
we already know they are spot on because they won a flag. Whether we make a GF or not doesn't determine that. As the coaches have aluded to already we have made adjustments over the pre season but it won't be anything drastic. If other teams have caught up is still another question that is to be determined. I can easily see us finishing 3-4th and a prelim with still a spot on game plan. I don't see it as simplistic as your making it out. many many other factors at work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s normally an outlier every year. Who would have honestly predicted Melbourne to win the flag in 2021? There could very well be something very exciting popping up from another team this year.

But on Geelong, they’ll be very good. Top 4.
We look good, but far from a certainty.

I see oddly st kilda as being that team which pushes up the ladder this year. current game plan of strangulation footy then a quick tsunami wave forward with run and carry has Ross Lyon written all over it like s**t loves to stick between the grooves on the base of your shoe. I think Brett Ratten was an absolute spud of a coach and the team will surprise a lot of people in 2023.

Think richmond may go the other way. Aeging list and have brought in two slow midfielders who do not overtly suit modern day footy.

In terms of geelong, i can see us going either way. We may slip a bit, or we may stay a top 4 threat.

one thing i am certain about that will remain true in 2023 like it did in 2022.. is that there is going to be hardly anything in it from 1st to 10th, and there will be degrees of ebs and flows throughout the year.

Fremantle, Carlton, st kilda and Melbourne all looked a million bucks at the mid season mark, which most had geelong in the geriatric category and falling out of the 8 after rnd 8 (4-4). how things suddenly turned in a flash.

my early pick for the flag is brisbane atm. with the additions they have had they have the best personell on the field in the AFL. It is simply a matter of their coach being good enough to tactically get them there.

we already know they are spot on because they won a flag. Whether we make a GF or not doesn't determine that. As the coaches have aluded to already we have made adjustments over the pre season but it won't be anything drastic. If other teams have caught up is still another question that is to be determined. I can easily see us finishing 3-4th and a prelim with still a spot on game plan. I don't see it as simplistic as your making it out. many many other factors at work.
"alluded" 👍

Melb Gawn/Grundy set up looks like a headache this year but like any other year it’s not untill round 10-13 that you can start seeing where sides are at tactically
100% and as others have alluded it’s also one thing to know the tactic but it’s a completely different question as to if they can effectively combat them or apply them to themselves

I think that’s where some of the middle rung teams can get unstuck
They try and copy a game plan that is in vogue but lack the ability to execute when really they should be designing and executing a gameplan that complements the individual playing group

Early season we generally see a lot more aggressive structures to see if teams can hold their own offensively but it’s not until mid year we start to see those real defensive and tactical changes that will carry teams into the finals and beyond

well done mate, you spell checked someone's online forum post. You must have very important things going on in your day-to-day life.
Just amusing myself as I spell-checked the same word in another thread 5 mins ago

Do you have more important things to do than start ridiculous self-congratulatory threads like this one?

Just amusing myself as I spell-checked the same word in another thread 5 mins ago

Do you have more important things to do than start ridiculous self-congratulatory threads like this one?
If you actually bothered to read the thread, there is not a single thing self-congratulatory at all about it. I even stated in another post i can see us being top four or falling off a bit.

If your idea of amusing yourself is trying to have a go at other posters or have personal jabs at them whether it be spelling or whatever else, then you probably need to find other ways to feel important that don't involve putting others down.

Thread title is self-congratulatory, assumes you're way ahead of the pack tactically

But you won the QF by only 6 points, in the last 2 minutes, so at there's at least one side that can pretty much go with you, tactically or whatever

And only 12 months prior to that you were eviscerated by Melbourne in a prelim

Nice premiership but get a grip

Thread title is self-congratulatory, assumes you're way ahead of the pack tactically

But you won the QF by only 6 points, in the last 2 minutes, so at there's at least one side that can pretty much go with you, tactically or whatever

thanks for actually addressing the thread contents.

I never said "way ahead" or assumed such a thing. You only need to be 5% ahead tactically to gain a massive advantage in terms of output. What i did state is we were in 2022 tactically ahead which i think is not largely disputable at this point.

In terms of the collingwood game, i actually rated collingwood as the second best team in the competition and always felt that game would determine who goes on to win the GF. I have alot of respect for collingwood and think Fly is an elite coach. I do think the crowd and nerves got geelong a little bit in that game early on, something i don't think would have been as evident in the GF had we met again, but it would have been a much more competitive outing than the sydney one.

But you won the QF by only 6 points , in the last 2 minutes, so at there's at least one side that can pretty much go with you, tactically or whatever

Do you need a hug?

I bet you said the same thing in 2007 and you were off it for years after that close final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back