Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
10 - Luke McPharlin
Will come with some criticism but he was a champion in my mind, maybe growing up in Western Australia in this era has made me a touch bias. Underrated in my mind, a master in the air and held it down at the dockers with not much help.

9- Justin Leppitsch- a rock in a champion team had so much presence and would take on great chf every week. Strong reliable and well skilled the centrepiece around one of the best sides ever backline.

8- Chris Langford
I remember him being the guy know one wanted to match up on, when ever he walked to the stars you thought he is actually a chance. Everyone else it was oh maybe if they get lucky might hold them.I was very young watching him but he stood out in my mind.

7-Tom Stewart
Still early in his career but one of the best I have seen, so versatile so attacking and reads the play as well as anyone I have seen.

6- Jeremy McGovern
A great career so far one of the best interception players of all time. Has stood up in massive moments as well.

5- Dustin Fletcher
Did it for so many years, record games playing on superstars across generations, could handle the locketts deep and the new age franklins and Pavlich types working up the ground and turning back. Inspector gadget arms and tough as nails.

4-Paul Roos
I didn’t get to see much of him but he is rated as high as possible by some very knowledgeable people.

3- Alex Rance
Was an amazing player, I remember seeing him play at 16 he had 6 booted on him by half time by two guys who had less amazing afl careers and I thought they only talk about this guy because of his dad. I have never been so wrong a genuine champion of a player and a shame to see him leave early.

2- Steven Silvagni
Played on the best and they all say he was the best, could be 1 is 1 in a lot of peoples mind. There’s no arguments here one of the best ever.

1- Matthew Scarlett
I go for Geelong and he was so important for us in a golden time. A w***er to play on I imagine he just wanted to beat you no matter what. Thankyou Scarlett!

Honourable mention- Darren Glass Chad Cornes Glenn Jackovich Tom Harley Steven May

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
10 - Luke McPharlin
Will come with some criticism but he was a champion in my mind, maybe growing up in Western Australia in this era has made me a touch bias. Underrated in my mind, a master in the air and held it down at the dockers with not much help.

9- Justin Leppitsch- a rock in a champion team had so much presence and would take on great chf every week. Strong reliable and well skilled the centrepiece around one of the best sides ever backline.

8- Chris Langford
I remember him being the guy know one wanted to match up on, when ever he walked to the stars you thought he is actually a chance. Everyone else it was oh maybe if they get lucky might hold them.I was very young watching him but he stood out in my mind.

7-Tom Stewart
Still early in his career but one of the best I have seen, so versatile so attacking and reads the play as well as anyone I have seen.

6- Jeremy McGovern
A great career so far one of the best interception players of all time. Has stood up in massive moments as well.

5- Dustin Fletcher
Did it for so many years, record games playing on superstars across generations, could handle the locketts deep and the new age franklins and Pavlich types working up the ground and turning back. Inspector gadget arms and tough as nails.

4-Paul Roos
I didn’t get to see much of him but he is rated as high as possible by some very knowledgeable people.

3- Alex Rance
Was an amazing player, I remember seeing him play at 16 he had 6 booted on him by half time by two guys who had less amazing afl careers and I thought they only talk about this guy because of his dad. I have never been so wrong a genuine champion of a player and a shame to see him leave early.

2- Steven Silvagni
Played on the best and they all say he was the best, could be 1 is 1 in a lot of peoples mind. There’s no arguments here one of the best ever.

1- Matthew Scarlett
I go for Geelong and he was so important for us in a golden time. A w***er to play on I imagine he just wanted to beat you no matter what. Thankyou Scarlett!

Honourable mention- Darren Glass Chad Cornes Glenn Jackovich Tom Harley Steven May
Might be a few in there that don't qualify under "not a key position player" rule like Stewart and McGovern. Roos was a bit of a jack of all trades but was a good player. I have seen far worse lists though.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I used to love Mal Michael. the guy was a beast for Brisbane during their 3 peat. he's be right up there for me.

Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
No it's the fact you consider him a top 10 key defender.

He's good no doubt but there's current defenders better than him let alone past KPD.
He has won 4 all Australians in 5 years a best and fairest and a premiership to go along with it.

In that 5 year period Backmen
Stewart 4
McGovern 2
Hurn 2
May 2

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
He has won 4 all Australians in 5 years a best and fairest and a premiership to go along with it.

In that 5 year period Backmen
Stewart 4
McGovern 2
Hurn 2
May 2

He HAS all those accolades....but he's still NOT a KPD, he's an intercept marking flanker like Howe.

Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
How many as a FB or CHB?

Playing Carlton does he go to either Curnow or McKay?
McGovern was back pocket for all but one year of 4. The way they order them is not always correct, Sam de Koning and him were our two key Backmen. He would go to one of those two for a majority of a game. He has been a key defender in a successful era. Does he play tall? Yes he plays very tall.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
McGovern was back pocket for all but one year of 4. The way they order them is not always correct, Sam de Koning and him were our two key Backmen. He would go to one of those two for a majority of a game. He has been a key defender in a successful era. Does he play tall? Yes he plays very tall.
Most key defenders average 3+ one on one contests. Last year Stewart was at 1.3. The only year he was above 2 was his first year when he was at 2.3. McGovern is regularly above that

May, Taylor and Sicily were all around 4 last season

Even the AFL stats site doesn't rate him as a key defender

Screenshot_20230311_233623_AFL.jpg
Screenshot_20230311_233651_AFL.jpg
Screenshot_20230311_233718_AFL.jpg
Screenshot_20230311_233551_AFL.jpg

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Josh Gibson stiff if Tom Stewart can get in. Back to back B&F's in premiership years

Back