Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
1090E4E9-EE3C-44E6-84CB-C4D9E5050B33.jpeg

Any other GC kids going ok ? There’s a bit of talent there compared to other academies
Jai Murray in the 2025 draft class. Kicked 3 goals today. Has composure, nice use of the footy. Looks like a decent prospect in the next few years.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
All the talent is an hour away on coast
There is that. But there are genuine issues with our academy, from the outside it appears that the club just can’t be bothered to put any effort in to running it (this appears to be backed up by comments made by the parents of kids who have been through the academy).

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Any other GC kids going ok ? There’s a bit of talent there compared to other academies
Very impressed with Jai Murray. Kid turned 16 just a few days ago and didn't look out of place at all against 18/19 year olds. This was the first time I'd seen him play and I see why he's so highly rated for the 2025 draft class.

Walter was really good. Four goals and did some nice things off the ball like smothering/pinch hitting in the ruck. Another player worth mentioning is Ethan Read in the ruck. I thought he was really good and often gave the GC boys first use but I really liked how he had a hunger for the ball outside of the ruck. Doesn't mind tackling (despite his skinny frame) and actually has really good foot skills.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very impressed with Jai Murray. Kid turned 16 just a few days ago and didn't look out of place at all against 18/19 year olds. This was the first time I'd seen him play and I see why he's so highly rated for the 2025 draft class.

Walter was really good. Four goals and did some nice things off the ball like smothering/pinch hitting in the ruck. Another player worth mentioning is Ethan Read in the ruck. I thought he was really good and often gave the GC boys first use but I really liked how he had a hunger for the ball outside of the ruck. Doesn't mind tackling (despite his skinny frame) and actually has really good foot skills.
I’m a huge fan of the Read , going to be v good ruck prospect

There is that. But there are genuine issues with our academy, from the outside it appears that the club just can’t be bothered to put any effort in to running it (this appears to be backed up by comments made by the parents of kids who have been through the academy).
Why is that? Cash flow issue or priorities, or something?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Why is that? Cash flow issue or priorities, or something?
Just a guess, both.

I don’t know what the situation is now but in the 00’s, talented 16 year olds were being paid $10k to join various NRL club academies. Kids as young as 14 were getting $5k. Plus they were getting all their medical fees covered.

Where as last week, on our unofficial club podcast, we had a letter from a parent of an ex academy kid claiming that membership to the Lions academy was just a money making exercise for the club, that the kids don’t get any extra or special coaching than what they already receive at colts level.

Now pretty much the exact same thing has been repeated on the QAFL board here on BigFooty for years, from multiple posters.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Was he #27 ? You don’t happen to have a list of GC numbers do you ?

What numbers are Hay and Zanker-Close ?

Back