Non-Lions discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

It's an interesting one. The umpires usually take a few seconds to play deliberate, usually because they're running in with a dramatic gesture (with Billy Bowden-esc enthusiasm). But if the umpire hadn't had time to do that before the siren went, I assume a free kick isn't paid?

It's an interesting one. The umpires usually take a few seconds to play deliberate, usually because they're running in with a dramatic gesture (with Billy Bowden-esc enthusiasm). But if the umpire hadn't had time to do that before the siren went, I assume a free kick isn't paid?

Yeah again I don't know what the rule book says, but the ball was out before the siren went and therefore it seems only fair that a decision on deliberate should be made, even if the siren goes before the umpires can signal.

If it went out of bounds on the full I wonder if they would have applied the same logic?

Yeah again I don't know what the rule book says, but the ball was out before the siren went and therefore it seems only fair that a decision on deliberate should be made, even if the siren goes before the umpires can signal.

If it went out of bounds on the full I wonder if they would have applied the same logic?
Looking forward to an incredible explanation on how umpires interpret time tomorrow. Content league!

North very lucky. Not sure exactly what the rule book says but I feel Freo should have got a free kick for that deliberate.

Not sure either.

But the umpire seemed to be saying that the siren went before the ball crossed the line.

If that is in fact the rule, then I think it was the right call

Not sure either.

But the umpire seemed to be saying that the siren went before the ball crossed the line.

If that is in fact the rule, then I think it was the right call

Yeah I'd be okay with that, but I am not sure that is what actually happened.

Nah. At no point were we really rebuilding. At best we were puttering along indifferent to our impotence. Rebuilding implies a degree of intent that was never present.

Yeah remember, from Wet n Wild to top 4. So 2010.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North very lucky. Not sure exactly what the rule book says but I feel Freo should have got a free kick for that deliberate.
HAs there been a shift in what is being paid deliberate? We were flicking thru the 2 games and saw in a North player kick a ball out of the center square in early last goes off side of his boot and goes out about level with the half forward line with a north player closing in on the ball and they paid deliberate. Close to being last touch and it s a free. I am pleased for North nonetheless.

HAs there been a shift in what is being paid deliberate? We were flicking thru the 2 games and saw in a North player kick a ball out of the center square in early last goes off side of his boot and goes out about level with the half forward line with a north player closing in on the ball and they paid deliberate. Close to being last touch and it s a free. I am pleased for North nonetheless.

I think it falls under the "insufficient intent" benchmark they have been using the last couple of years. As I understand it, it means it doesn't have to be deliberate beyond all reasonable doubt, but that the player has to make a a visibly reasonable attempt to be keeping the ball in play or getting the ball to a teammate.

I think it falls under the "insufficient intent" benchmark they have been using the last couple of years. As I understand it, it means it doesn't have to be deliberate beyond all reasonable doubt, but that the player has to make a a visibly reasonable attempt to be keeping the ball in play or getting the ball to a teammate.
Fair enough, they just seem very hot on it in the first 2 weeks or at least im noticing it more

iu

:)
Jumped the gun a bit clearly but half way through the first when i posted it they were going goal for goal and they both looked great. Hindsight 20/20.

Another AFL controversy with North winning. They love this happening. No such thing as bad publicity i recon.
Gee North have been the whipping team for years now, let's give the umpires the benefit of the doubt and North a deserved win.
Umpires are told through their earpiece when siren goes. Viewers just have the TV countdown clock. So, who would know.

I have said many times over the years that fans and media always concentrate on the last play of the game in any controversy.
Human nature i suppose.
I am sure there were lots of other small incidents during the game, but we don't analyze them to death.
Looking at the score worm, North were in front the whole game.
Dockers playing at home v 2021/2022 wooden spooners so they should not have been in a close game to start with.
I doubt the Dockers coach would put this decision down to why they lost the game.

A brave call for the Hawks to back Mitchell in with such a hard reset of their list. Mitchell showed enough last year that he could be a good coach. Would still rather be in their shoes than the likes of West Coast.

A brave call for the Hawks to back Mitchell in with such a hard reset of their list. Mitchell showed enough last year that he could be a good coach. Would still rather be in their shoes than the likes of West Coast.
Hawks have traded out a fair bit of talent, without getting any decent picks for them.

Conversely, it looks like West Coast will keep their premiership players around and let them retire as they go.

Unless they trade in some top end talent, they both look like they’ll be long rebuilds, and they’re going to run in to Tassie’s draft concessions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back