Injury 2023 St Kilda Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

as much as it sucks having all these injuries. The positive is that it’s early in the season. What you don’t want is injuries to players late in the season when you’re making a finals run.

The problem is just because we have them now doesn't increase the odds of us not having injuries later in the year.

Hope you are right though.

Apologies if already posted however this appears to be the incident where Steele is injured, with 50 seconds left on the clock in the 3rd

VrLamNL.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies if already posted however this appears to be the incident where Steele is injured, with 50 seconds left on the clock in the 3rd

VrLamNL.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, watched the replay last night and noticed that moment. Seeing the clock was frustrating to put it lightly.

With the injury list growing it would be nice for the club to release an update on the expected return of our injured players. Surely there are some of the list getting closer to a return - TBC or indefinite dont give us much of an insight.

What about they do something different and release Expected Return eg King Round 7, Membrey Round 4, Coffield Round 5 etc. I understand injury management is not an exact science and its only painting over the cracks but it might give people a different perspective and some tanglible hope.

With the injury list growing it would be nice for the club to release an update on the expected return of our injured players. Surely there are some of the list getting closer to a return - TBC or indefinite dont give us much of an insight.

What about they do something different and release Expected Return eg King Round 7, Membrey Round 4, Coffield Round 5 etc. I understand injury management is not an exact science and its only painting over the cracks but it might give people a different perspective and some tanglible hope.
What more hope do we need then the last 2 games ?
Injured players will be back soon enough

It's the nature of the injuries that require an 'indefinite' status.

McKenzie's calf has become a recurring issue. The club thought they reconditioned him well enough to increase his load up to playing levels, but it failed again. They will now be taking a far more cautious approach to prevent another re-injury; as such, they're not following normal tissue loading timelines so cannot predict how long it will take.

Zak Jones has an Achilles tendon issue, off the back of a calf strain. This is also the result of increasing his load too quickly, like McKenzie, however I believe his history is not as significant as McKenzie, so shouldn't be as "finicky" to load correctly, but I could be mistaken. Regardless, this is also a timeline that cannot be accurately predicted; for Jones, could be 1-2 games or 4-6+ if he fails loading hurdles.

Then we have a trio of bone stress injuries - Allison (foot), and Hotton and McLennan (back). These, once more, are loading based injuries as opposed to acute injuries (you're probably noticing a theme here) and have inconsistent timelines. The players will be de-loaded for a bare minimum of 6 weeks, depending on severity and location of the reaction / fracture, but could be de-loaded for 12+ weeks before returning to moderate-high level exercise. Then they need to have their load cautiously increased so as to not only prevent an immediate return, but prevent future occurrences. So unlike other injuries where the range of outcomes might be reliably predicted to be, for example, 6-8 weeks with a ceiling of ~10 weeks, these type of injuries could be 12 weeks to over 12 months.

For these players, if they quote an optimistic number and they require longer, then the medical staff look incompetent when they're really not. But if they try to be conservative and predict a longer time out, then it makes the situation look a lot more dire and sends the wrong message. They could do what I just did and explain the reason behind "TBC" but how many people would go to the effort of reading it (hi if you're still reading), and even if they did, meaningfully understand it; remember, common sense isn't that common. So it's just easier to say "TBC" and leave it at that, updating it only when a concrete timeline is known (usually on the precipice of returning to match play via the VFL).

McKenzie's calf has become a recurring issue. The club thought they reconditioned him well enough to increase his load up to playing levels, but it failed again. They will now be taking a far more cautious approach to prevent another re-injury; as such, they're not following normal tissue loading timelines so cannot predict how long it will take.

Zak Jones has an Achilles tendon issue, off the back of a calf strain. This is also the result of increasing his load too quickly, like McKenzie, however I believe his history is not as significant as McKenzie, so shouldn't be as "finicky" to load correctly, but I could be mistaken. Regardless, this is also a timeline that cannot be accurately predicted; for Jones, could be 1-2 games or 4-6+ if he fails loading hurdles.

Then we have a trio of bone stress injuries - Allison (foot), and Hotton and McLennan (back). These, once more, are loading based injuries as opposed to acute injuries (you're probably noticing a theme here) and have inconsistent timelines. The players will be de-loaded for a bare minimum of 6 weeks, depending on severity and location of the reaction / fracture, but could be de-loaded for 12+ weeks before returning to moderate-high level exercise. Then they need to have their load cautiously increased so as to not only prevent an immediate return, but prevent future occurrences. So unlike other injuries where the range of outcomes might be reliably predicted to be, for example, 6-8 weeks with a ceiling of ~10 weeks, these type of injuries could be 12 weeks to over 12 months.

For these players, if they quote an optimistic number and they require longer, then the medical staff look incompetent when they're really not. But if they try to be conservative and predict a longer time out, then it makes the situation look a lot more dire and sends the wrong message. They could do what I just did and explain the reason behind "TBC" but how many people would go to the effort of reading it (hi if you're still reading), and even if they did, meaningfully understand it; remember, common sense isn't that common. So it's just easier to say "TBC" and leave it at that, updating it only when a concrete timeline is known (usually on the precipice of returning to match play via the VFL).
Good post mate. Thank you.

All aboard for the Mid Season Draft!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure they are doing as best they can to tell us. Some you just don’t know.

Good post mate. Thank you.

All aboard for the Mid Season Draft!
The irony in that is that I dont believe any of our injured list are on the LTI. So unless we have more long term injuries 🤞I dont think we will have a list spot available?

On top of this, many of these injured players will still be training to a certain level but wont be at the point where they are "fit" to play. Membery will almost certainly be running and doing assorted aspects of training and COULD play but wont be at the level desired by Ross.

They could do what I just did and explain the reason behind "TBC" but how many people would go to the effort of reading it (hi if you're still reading), and even if they did, meaningfully understand it; remember, common sense isn't that common. So it's just easier to say "TBC" and leave it at that, updating it only when a concrete timeline is known (usually on the precipice of returning to match play via the VFL).
molang.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back