Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 3 - Suns v Cats Sun April 2nd 2:10pm AEST (HBS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Suns by a goal or less

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suns by 7 - 20

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Suns by a lot

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Goldcoast-vs-Geelong.png

16th v 14th

AFL 2023 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 3
GOLD COAST SUNS V GEELONG
SUNDAY APRIL 2ND 2:10PM AEST (HERITAGE BANK STADIUM)

:arrowright: CLICK HERE JOIN TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY’S OWN SYSTEM
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY'S OWN SYSTEM

tipping.png

:arrowright: Weekly Premium Platinum memberships to be won!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

Teams

SUNS
B: L.Weller, S.Collins, D.Macpherson
HB: B.Long, C.Ballard, J.Farrar
C: J.Lukosius, T.Miller, D.Swallow
HF: B.Ainsworth, L.Casboult, M.Rosas
F: N.Holman, B.King, E.Hollands

FOLL: J.Witts, M.Rowell, N.Anderson
I/C (From): T.Berry, M.Chol, C.Constable, S.Flanders, J.Jeffrey, H.Oea, W.Powell, A.Sexton

IN: J.Farrar, T.Berry, M.Chol, H.Oea, W.Powell
OUT: B.Uwland (omitted), B.Fiorini (omitted)

CATS
B: J.Bews, S.De Koning, Z.Tuohy
HB: I.Smith, E.Ratugolea, Z.Guthrie
C: M.Blicavs, J.Bowes, M.Holmes
HF: T.Stengle, J.Cameron, B.Close
F: G.Miers, T.Hawkins, G.Rohan

FOLL: R.Stanley, C.Guthrie, P.Dangerfield
I/C (From): T.Stewart, M.O’Connor, T.Bruhn, T.Atkins, J.Kolodjashnij, O.Henry, J.Ceglar, C.Whyte

IN: T.Stewart, J.Kolodjashnij, J.Ceglar
OUT: None

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Last edited:

#23 Hill

Premium Platinum
Jan 22, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are there any changes expected from last week's line ups for either team?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Probably the strongest team we've named since last year. The additions of Powell, Weller and Farrar to our backline should shore up our defence and render better overall results. Witts has been strong so far this year, Rowell got himself going again last week and you know Touk is always going to give maximum effort. We just need Noah Anderson to step it up (plus a bit of help from our wings) and that will really give us a chance to be highly competitive.

Hoping Ben King continues his upward trajectory as well after kicking two majors last week because we really need to convert our opportunities after wasting so many against Essendon last week. We've clearly named a quicker team this week with the hope that we can run the ageing Cats off their feet and if we get the win then it's going to look like a masterstroke from Dew, but then again if we lose I can see the heat really being applied to Stuey.

Tom Stewart was training on the Heritage deck today with heavy strapping around his knee so I wouldn't be surprised if he's a late out. Would explain why Kolodjashnij and Stanley are the travelling subs. Also worth mentioning that the forecast suggests a 40% chance of rain at the time of the first bounce so that could be a factor here as well. Does a wet deck hurt the struggling Cats even more? Could be one of the most interesting 17th vs 18th games of all time.

Suns by 10 points.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably the strongest team we've named since last year. The additions of Powell, Weller and Farrar to our backline should shore up our defence and render better overall results. Witts has been strong so far this year, Rowell got himself going again last week and you know Touk is always going to give maximum effort. We just need Noah Anderson to step it up (plus a bit of help from our wings) and that will really give us a chance to be highly competitive.

Hoping Ben King continues his upward trajectory as well after kicking two majors last week because we really need to convert our opportunities after wasting so many against Essendon last week. We've clearly named a quicker team this week with the hope that we can run the ageing Cats off their feet and if we get the win then it's going to look like a masterstroke from Dew, but then again if we lose I can see the heat really being applied to Stuey.

Tom Stewart was training on the Heritage deck today with heavy strapping around his knee so I wouldn't be surprised if he's a late out. Would explain why Kolodjashnij and Stanley are the travelling subs. Also worth mentioning that the forecast suggests a 40% chance of rain at the time of the first bounce so that could be a factor here as well. Does a wet deck hurt the struggling Cats even more? Could be one of the most interesting 17th vs 18th games of all time.

Suns by 10 points.

Going to be a close game.
I really like the look of Ratugolea down back. I suspect he will get the job on King who will be heavily underdone for a while. De Koning and Blicavs to help out if things aren't going to plan.

I would be worried about Hawkins & Cameron if I were the Suns. Hawkins loves a wet track. Cameron is playing the best football of his career. They bring the ball to ground, I can see Stengle & Henry capitalizing.

Cats by 7 points in a thriller.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Outside of Ellis and Lemmens (who should be back next week) this is our full strength team, next 3-4 weeks will make or break Dew's career, no excuses with players fitness. After 5 years this is his team.

Cats are still a very good team but have been well below their best so far, so if the Suns are ever going to get it done over them, they won't get a better chance than tomorrow.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Going to be a close game.
I really like the look of Ratugolea down back. I suspect he will get the job on King who will be heavily underdone for a while. De Koning and Blicavs to help out if things aren't going to plan.

I would be worried about Hawkins & Cameron if I were the Suns. Hawkins loves a wet track. Cameron is playing the best football of his career. They bring the ball to ground, I can see Stengle & Henry capitalizing.

Cats by 7 points in a thriller.
Don't think any team would ever go into a game against Geelong not being worried about Hawkins and Cameron. They are clearly a deadly duo and if they're on then it's almost impossible to beat the Cats. Having said that, I think we're hoping Geelong will continue the struggles they've shown so far this season and we might be able to get them with our speed around the ground. That's the hope, I think.

#23 Hill

Premium Platinum
Jan 22, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not exactly a highly anticipated contest if the lack of activity on this thread is anything to go by.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
Don't think any team would ever go into a game against Geelong not being worried about Hawkins and Cameron. They are clearly a deadly duo and if they're on then it's almost impossible to beat the Cats. Having said that, I think we're hoping Geelong will continue the struggles they've shown so far this season and we might be able to get them with our speed around the ground. That's the hope, I think.
Hard to look good when 1/2 your first choice backline is missing and the midfield is not quite firing.

I do expect a competitive game from the Suns and loving Ben King being back but tipping Cats by 18.

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I'm hoping Suns can sniff an injured opponent and get some extra motivation from that, and the coaches also see this as an opportunity that won't come around much, to knock off a reigning premier.

Though Cats surely will show some improvement.

I hope Suns take some risks, play a fast pressure game, if they go negative they'll just play into Geelong's hands.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Watching the VFL matchup, hilarious commentary!
He's a local QAFL commentator with a lot of passion! Haha

It's been a weird VFL match. You don't often see a team kick close to 100 points in a half of footy...

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
He's a local QAFL commentator with a lot of passion! Haha

It's been a weird VFL match. You don't often see a team kick close to 100 points in a half of footy...
Yep, loving the Davies twins. Jesse and Alex.

Suns have been a class above, made the Cats look like a VAFL team.

One thing he isn't wrong about is Moyle though that is offset with his comments on Neale being a man beast, the tallest player on the ground.

Moyle has about a 3 ft reach on Neale.

Last edited:
Back