Game Day Round 10 v Yartapuulti, @Adelaide Oval 7:50pm GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a dreary 9 goal win (what a time to be alive!) last weekend we get a big test tonight. Port are looking pretty hot at the moment, despite some key outs up forward. JHF has been a great pickup complementing their other young mids who are coming on well. TBH haven't seen a lot of Port. Watched them beat the Saints and Swans, did enough to win but gave their opponents plenty of opportunities to beat them. Keeping Aliir distracted down back and not letting them get clean runs from the middle important to setting up a win.

We've been a bit scratchy this year. Scoring more freely but leaking goals more regularly too. I feel a lot rides on how efficient our mids are going inside 50. Getting Rivers, Kozzy, Hunter, Spargs involved going forward will be important. Clarry and Trac are occasionally looking cleaner although revert to blind bombs too often. Impressed with Viney's disposal of late, hopefully that's not a jinx.

Up forward Grawndy has worked ok so far as targets but can't rely on bombs on their head all night. JVR will always contest, not sure TMc can but hoping to be corrected. After a couple of s**t weeks hopefully Fritta finds his goalkicking boots again.

Salem back in a big call. Apparently has done a heavy load of training however nothing beats match fitness and this is a big game to come back into after a long layoff. We've done well with managing injury this year so will back him in. Reserve the right to melt about it if it blows up in our faces afterwards.

1684405181986.png

1684405509599.png

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hope tmac is moving somewhat freely and has a half decent game at least and Salem isn't too rusty.
Should be a good game.:devil:

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Port by 30. Our clearance work is putrid, reckon we'll get done there, unless we fix that up, we'll keep losing to the better sides.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Port by 30. Our clearance work is putrid, reckon we'll get done there, unless we fix that up, we'll keep losing to the better sides.
We weren't a great clearance team in our flag year. Surprisingly with the players we have at stoppages, we have never been strong in this area under Goody. It's our pressure and defence that needs to improve. We were actually pretty good in these areas last week, so hopefully we can build on that tonight against better opposition.

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
We weren't a great clearance team in our flag year. Surprisingly with the players we have at stoppages, we have never been strong in this area under Goody. It's our pressure and defence that needs to improve. We were actually pretty good in these areas last week, so hopefully we can build on that tonight against better opposition.
Yeah I think our memories are just warped because of bang bang bang in the GF.

Lord Nev

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2023
AFL Club
Melbourne

2018 and 2019 we were top 4 for clearance differential. 2020 we were 6th.

Yze joined us end of 2020.

2021, 2022 and so far in 2023 we've been pretty much in the bottom half of teams for that stat.

I believe it's a part of our game plan, which is an area Yze has a big say in.

Along with that, from the end of 2019 we started trying to clean up our points against from turnover as we were one of the worst teams in the league in that area. Frost was traded out, Hunt has since been traded out, both players who tended to cost us with their use out of the backline. The May kickout strategy is another noticeable tactic used to help in the above stat.

Conversely to that, we've become one of the best (last I heard we were number 1 in the league) for points from turnover.

All the above I reckon tells us the plan is probably to break even or around about in clearances, but don't sacrifice the outside (re: "bees to the honeypot") to win it. We back ourselves to win the ball with pressure or with our Rolls Royce backline and then run forward.

Just to add to this - We were the best team in the comp in 2021 for turnover differential, we're currently the 3rd best. It's tracking ok, but you're 100% correct in saying it's reliant on our pressure. Clearances simply are not a stat to use to determine our effort or effectiveness.

Worst ever beer to drink two years after a flag?
Probably just worst ever. I remember it was the only beer you could get up in the outback in the 80's and my old man would refuse to drink it when we were up there.

The last few times we've played Port haven't been able to score against us. Hear on the radio it was something like, 65, 36 and 55 or something like that. We have been easier to score against this year but are still top 3 for points against and 1st for points for which is a great balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back