Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 11 - Cats v GWS Sat May 27th 4:35pm AEST (GMHBA)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

• Cats by a lot

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • GWS by a lot

• Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong-vs-GWS.png

7th v 15th

AFL 2023 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 11

GEELONG V GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
SATURDAY MAY 27TH 4:35PM AEST (GMHBA)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

:arrowright: Weekly Premium Platinum memberships to be won!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

Teams
CATS

B: M.O’Connor, E.Ratugolea, J.Kolodjashnij
HB: O.Mullin, S.De Koning, T.Stewart
C: Z.Guthrie, T.Atkins, I.Smith
HF: B.Close, O.Henry, T.Stengle
F: T.Hawkins, J.Henry, J.Cameron
FOLL: J.Ceglar, M.Blicavs, T.Bruhn

I/C: J.Bews, Z.Tuohy, B.Parfitt, G.Miers
EMG: S.Simpson, M.Knevitt, J.Willis, O.Dempsey

In: O.Mullin, S.De Koning, O.Henry
Out: M.Knevitt (Omitted), O.Dempsey (Omitted), M.Holmes (Injured), S.Simpson (Rested)

GIANTS
B: C.Brown, L.Keeffe, C.Idun
HB: L.Whitfield, J.Buckley, L.Ash
C: F.Callaghan, H.Perryman, R.Angwin
HF: B.Daniels, A.Cadman, T.Greene - C
F: C.Ward, J.Hogan, T.Bedford
FOLL: K.Briggs, T.Green, S.Coniglio

I/C: D.Lloyd, J.Peatling, J.Riccardi, X.O’Halloran
EMG: C.Fleeton, J.Fahey, M.Flynn, H.Rowston

In: C.Brown, L.Keeffe, D.Lloyd
Out: C.Fleeton (Omitted), J.Kelly (Injured), N.Haynes (Injured), H.Himmelberg (Injured)

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Milestone

GWS captain Toby Greene is set to play his 200th AFL game against Geelong on Saturday, becoming the first player drafted to the club to reach the milestone and the second behind Callan Ward. The 29-year-old was drafted to the GIANTS in 2011 at pick 11, receiving a Rising Star nomination in his first season as a midfielder. A move forward in 2016 saw him receive his first All Australian honours and win the Kevin Sheedy Medal. Greene was again named in the All Australian team in 2021 and elevated to co-captain of the club in 2022. In 2023 he was named sole captain of the club.

Last edited:

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Giants decimated by injury. Was hoping we got a decent outing before facing the Dogs.

Cats win by 40, not much gained.
Win by 80, they get some momentum heading into round 12.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
It all depends on what side Geelong put on the field, they're all over the place at the moment and cannot replace injured players as well as other teams have. Giants by a goal
Scott said after the Freo match we might get Dangerfield, Rohan and De Koning all back for this one. Whether that eventuates and/or if we've lost someone yet again, we won't know until teams are out.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Scott said after the Freo match we might get Dangerfield, Rohan and De Koning all back for this one. Whether that eventuates and/or if we've lost someone yet again, we won't know until teams are out.

Dangerfield was good to go last week but they held him back apparently.
I'd be cautious with Rohan. This is not the first time he's had hamstring concerns. They plagued him during his time at Sydney and at his age, always risky.

I'm surprised supporters on our board are eager to get back De Koning into the ruck. That would be the last place you'd want your most prized bull to be playing. Throw Ratugolea in ruck instead. At least he has physique to take the hits.

I wonder if Scott pre records his press conferences for the whole year before the season starts? Especially the losses…. He just says the same thing over & over again! That 2nd cup has given him an ‘out’ year to say the least! 2023 can be a complete disaster but he can’t do no wrong….. got it made in that cat bubble!

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Dangerfield was good to go last week but they held him back apparently.
I'd be cautious with Rohan. This is not the first time he's had hamstring concerns. They plagued him during his time at Sydney and at his age, always risky.

I'm surprised supporters on our board are eager to get back De Koning into the ruck. That would be the last place you'd want your most prized bull to be playing. Throw Ratugolea in ruck instead. At least he has physique to take the hits.
We'll need Dangerfield now more than even now that Holmes is out for the medium term with a knee.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
News today is Max Holmes will miss approximately 6 or 7 weeks with a meniscus tear. The list goes on and the revolving door continues, they can't take a trick down there at the moment.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
We'll need Dangerfield now more than even now that Holmes is out for the medium term with a knee.

Thankfully it will only be a 6 week layoff. Not as serious as what it could have been.
That would explain his absence in last weeks game as you can still play through the injury depending on it's severity.

No Holmes, Guthrie, Stanley for at least a month or more.
Get back Bowes, De Koning, Dangerfield, Rohan, Henry over the next 1-2 weeks which isn't too bad.
Just have to hope there are no more injuries before the bye.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Thankfully it will only be a 6 week layoff. Not as serious as what it could have been.
That would explain his absence in last weeks game as you can still play through the injury depending on it's severity.

No Holmes, Guthrie, Stanley for at least a month or more.
Get back Bowes, De Koning, Dangerfield, Rohan, Henry over the next 1-2 weeks which isn't too bad.
Just have to hope there are no more injuries before the bye.
I'm wondering if this occurred during the Richmond game and explained his invisible second half there as well? Either way, we've felt it the last 6 quarters when you couldn't really tell he was on the field.

Dangerfield in would more than level it out of course. Bruhn is finding a bit more of it but butchering it rushed - having the skipper in there I'd hope composes a few of these younger mids a bit more.

De Koning will settle our defence a bit. He's already a pretty important cog and will complement Ratugolea.

Rohan is an underrated component for what makes out forward group tick. You only need one weak link in a chain for a forward press to be ineffective, so Close and Stengle back last week, now potentially Rohan - together they should be able to boost this element. As a marking target as well, there should be some mismatches if we swing Henry up forward. You don't lose much in the way of athleticism with 4 talls up forward if 3 of them are Rohan, Henry and Cameron.

If we get those 3 back I think Geelong will bounce back comfortably at home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm wondering if this occurred during the Richmond game and explained his invisible second half there as well? Either way, we've felt it the last 6 quarters when you couldn't really tell he was on the field.

Dangerfield in would more than level it out of course. Bruhn is finding a bit more of it but butchering it rushed - having the skipper in there I'd hope composes a few of these younger mids a bit more.

De Koning will settle our defence a bit. He's already a pretty important cog and will complement Ratugolea.

Rohan is an underrated component for what makes out forward group tick. You only need one weak link in a chain for a forward press to be ineffective, so Close and Stengle back last week, now potentially Rohan - together they should be able to boost this element. As a marking target as well, there should be some mismatches if we swing Henry up forward. You don't lose much in the way of athleticism with 4 talls up forward if 3 of them are Rohan, Henry and Cameron.

If we get those 3 back I think Geelong will bounce back comfortably at home.

Would the medical staff have allowed to him to play the following weekend though? Surely he would have said something to staff after the Richmond match. Perhaps he didn't and just put it down to soreness and played on the following week.

De Koning's a gun. Certainly strengthens us up down back.

They would like their chances in the coming weeks against GWS and Bulldogs. Only if Dangerfield is back.
Port Adelaide & Melbourne in a class above those sides and we'd most likely go in as underdogs.

Weird to say this but I can see the GWS midfield getting on top here. Kelly, Green, Coniglio and co against… who?

Still unlikely to be enough though. Cats by about 5 goals
Kelly out…but yes no Paddy and it thins out after that… even without an injury or two…

Kelly out…but yes no Paddy and it thins out after that… even without an injury or two…
Ah right you are, was just reading the news re Kelly. Makes me a little more confident in the Geelong tip then.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Weird to say this but I can see the GWS midfield getting on top here. Kelly, Green, Coniglio and co against… who?

Still unlikely to be enough though. Cats by about 5 goals
It's not that weird to say. Our injured midfield is serious quality.

Stanley, Dangerfield, Guthrie and Holmes are arguably our best centre square combo. Duncan is probably our best outside mid. Menegola and Bowes are more than handy as rotating mids. Even our pick 8 mid from last draft is out injured and he'd be playing for sure given the other injuries.

It looks like we'll only have 2 mids or rucks (Blicavs and Atkins) that haven't been playing VFL at some point this year.

Stanley, Dangerfield, Guthrie and Holmes are arguably our best centre square combo. Duncan is probably our best outside mid. Menegola and Bowes are more than handy as rotating mids. Even our pick 8 mid from last draft is out injured and he'd be playing for sure given the other injuries.

It looks like we'll only have 2 mids or rucks (Blicavs and Atkins) that haven't been playing VFL at some point this year.
Yeah good write up. I was trying to figure out who your starting mids would be this week (as a neutral who doesn’t know your next tier of players all that well) and was struggling to work it out. Amazing when you list those missing names and you get a real sense of just how many are out.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah good write up. I was trying to figure out who your starting mids would be this week (as a neutral who doesn’t know your next tier of players all that well) and was struggling to work it out. Amazing when you list those missing names and you get a real sense of just how many are out.
Yep we're getting down to randoms most people don't know.

Assuming Ceglar plays (he's physically cooked and expected to be rested so that's no certainty) then it'll be similar to last week without Holmes. So Ceglar with Blicavs backup ruck. Blicavs, Atkins, Bruhn and Parfitt the centre square mids. Smith, Knevitt and Tuohy on the wings.

Then to cover Holmes we either run guys like Knevitt, O'Connor, Simpson or Cameron through there who haven't played much midfield. Or we bring in Willis to debut who is a more pure mid but even he is coming back from major injury issues and hasn't played many VFL games.

Assuming Ceglar plays (he's physically cooked and expected to be rested so that's no certainty) then it'll be similar to last week without Holmes. So Ceglar with Blicavs backup ruck. Blicavs, Atkins, Bruhn and Parfitt the centre square mids. Smith, Knevitt and Tuohy on the wings.

Then to cover Holmes we either run guys like Knevitt, O'Connor, Simpson or Cameron through there who haven't played much midfield. Or we bring in Willis to debut who is a more pure mid but even he is coming back from major injury issues and hasn't played many VFL games.
Wowee. A good week to be coming up against an uninspiring Giants side with an injury or two themselves. Even then I’m sure none of you are taking anything for granted given who’s missing

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Looks like Kelly won't play which is a huge benefit but as it stands, Green (top 10 mid in the comp), Ward, Whitfield, Coniglio, Greene spending heavy minutes middle vs Atkins, Bruhn, Blicavs, Knevitt, Smith.
GWS have the advantage their.

Scott is going to be bold I reckon. May see Henry or Stewart spend a lot of time in the middle for the first time in their career.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll

Tough game even at home but reading that Giants are to have some key outs also.

Good seasoning for the younguns.

I think the names are good but not sure about the form… Paddy clearly missed, but Guthrie’s form early was poor and his place in the mid was derailed as he moved back. Duncan more half backer these days. Holmes a few good games here and there and Stanley has been a 1/12 good game player for years… As for menongola and Bowes.. they’re not best 22. Midfield issues are more a list problem I would say. I mean Atkins is average and Bruhn still a bit young to impact…so our thin midfield still heavily relies on soon to be 34yo Paddy.

Back