List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryley Sanders
Sandringham Dragons/Allies
MID, 186cm, 85kg
Talent League: 3 games, 32 disposals, 1 goal

Sanders accumulates the footy as well as anyone, winning contested footy and dishing to outside runners with regularity. As an inside midfielder he is elite with his tackling and pressure to go with his ball-winning ability.

Difficult decisions which need to be made by season’s end.

Max King is a serious talent and is the cornerstone of everything we do moving forward. Do we:

1) trade out some experience and being in more youth, building underneath King for a serious tilt at it in 4-5 years

2) bring in an explosive mix and another key position and go for it now, backing Ross’ system over the next few years

3) keep trying to do both, hoping to find diamonds in the rough but knowing it runs the risk of keeping us mid table

I really think this is what the ‘season of exploration’ meant. It’s a chance to determine whether this list + a couple of extras can take us to a flag or whether we need to regenerate.

Thankfully, Owens, Philipou and Nas look fantastic.

According to a few on the main board you must be ineligible for the remaining if the year so I'm most sure.

I've had a quick Google to confirm but I can't find anything
They changed it during covid to be 6 rounds but that was because they played a number rounds over a shorter period. So if 6 weeks are true we could put Coffield and Hayes on the LTI but I don't think it will happen.

"With that in mind, it's understood the AFL has informed all 18 clubs that they will be able to place footballers on the LTI for six rounds rather than the usual six weeks"

He's been playing midfield most of the year though, it wasn't a new thing to play him in there.

And Clark out of all of our kids has spent the least amount of time in there so I'm not sold his injury made a huge difference to how we would have played. Steele, Crouch, Ross and Gresham are the guys we've been backing in most along with Sinclair over the last few weeks. They just weren't able to get the job done.

Definitely worth throwing it out there with Robertson. No doubt going to a club that is just at the very start of a rebuild wouldn't look that exciting.

Flanders isn't a bad shout. From memory he was putting out some massive numbers through the middle in the last year's VFL finals.

Gresham has played a lot less as a pure mid though, he often goes to the centre bounce and sprints forward away from the play so he's getting some midfield work but playing predominantly inside 50. He's not what I count as a mid role where he follows the play.

Just checked Sam Flanders VFL stats. Over the last 8 games he's had 32, 32, 37, 46, 42, 30, 35 and 34.

he's a gun in the VFL who hasn't quite found a spot in the seniors. He must be weighing up his future.

Difficult decisions which need to be made by season’s end.

Max King is a serious talent and is the cornerstone of everything we do moving forward. Do we:

1) trade out some experience and being in more youth, building underneath King for a serious tilt at it in 4-5 years

2) bring in an explosive mix and another key position and go for it now, backing Ross’ system over the next few years

3) keep trying to do both, hoping to find diamonds in the rough but knowing it runs the risk of keeping us mid table

I really think this is what the ‘season of exploration’ meant. It’s a chance to determine whether this list + a couple of extras can take us to a flag or whether we need to regenerate.

Thankfully, Owens, Philipou and Nas look fantastic.

I hope we don't start to go all over the shop because we are under pressure. We need to sort through the list and it should be done at the end of the season not when we've had a bad loss. We need to focus on a long term goal.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Im sorry but I have never been a big Billings fan, other supporters believe he is a good finisher, but for me he is more of a choker. My criticism is he consistently goes missing in big moments or big pressure games. Playing a good game every 10 doesnt cut it in my mind. He is currently depth so if we can get a reasonable offer for him perhaps a direct swap for TDK, then its time to part ways.
What would the club get for him? Third rounder?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade out 2 or more of the following:
Billings - 2nd
Clark - late 1st, early 2nd
Gresham (RFA) - late 1st or match
Membrey - 2nd

Delist approximately 4 of:
Bytel
Connolly
Highmore
Jones
McKenzie.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who do we want ?

Rylee Sanders looks like us, our inside mid with a Sandringham background despite being a Tasmanian. McKercher looks like my dream of him falling through to us might be fanciful.

As a club, we've have needed midfielders for as long as I can remember, granted that sometimes clubs list needs change throughout the season. But we only have to look at the Bulldogs GF team they won a flag with a make shift forward line, under sized defence, but a group of elite midfeilders. Excluding the past couple of years, our recruitment team has always found a way to overlook our midfield requirements.

It's just poor list management, and I am really concerned that SOS & Allen will take us down the same path.

2021: Nasiah. Alternatives, Hobbs, Sinn, Wilmot , Goater. I prefer Nasiah.
2020: Allison. Alternatives , O'Driscoll, Pouter. Whatever, Gablett Jr wasn't there to draft i'm afraid.
2019: IF we had not traded for Howard or Hill, we could have got Serong. ( Not so bad really ).
We could have done the pick swap with GWS and got Day AND Sam DeKoenig. Ouch.
2018: Hard to argue with Max King.
2017: We got Clark and Coff. WHo do you want ...Ling? Brandar?

2021: Nasiah. Alternatives, Hobbs, Sinn, Wilmot , Goater. I prefer Nasiah.
2020: Allison. Alternatives , O'Driscoll, Pouter. Whatever, Gablett Jr wasn't there to draft i'm afraid.
2019: IF we had not traded for Howard or Hill, we could have got Serong. ( Not so bad really ).
We could have done the pick swap with GWS and got Day AND Sam DeKoenig. Ouch.
2018: Hard to argue with Max King.
2017: We got Clark and Coff. WHo do you want ...Ling? Brandar?

O'Driscoll looks very good. I'd gladly swap if it's not too late.

Zac Bailey instead of Clark and Coff would be okay in hindsight.

I also wanted Worpol that year, would have had him in for Clavarino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back