Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they'll take Hunter too but their smalls aren't as topped up as they used to be, Pickett and Martin aint it, they've lost Castagna, Butler, Aarts and Dan Rioli moved to defense over the past 5 years

Only have Maurice Jnr and Judson Clarke now, Mansell is getting a game but don't rate him and Bolton is mid/fwd
Tigers took the STH Freo small last year in the draft.
I think the East one too.
They should go tall.

I guess Serong the Taller hasn't done anything.
I have it as close to direct from the horses mouth as you can get, that Freo liked him but Wallsy and merriman told him he was 2 years from being an AFL ready player and they would only be able to give him one year on the rookie list, so they felt it was better he went back to Gippsland power u19 team. Apparently they do quite like him though

Seems like smoke and mirrors. Tigers desperately need a key forward to help out Jack with Lynch being out for an extended period. They are set for small forward types - Rioli, Bolton, Pickett, Martin. Reiwoldt has been playing injured also. Reckon their real target is Buller or Hunter.
That is what Cal was saying.

He rates Hansen-Junior earlier than our pick but when you go through his late mail and some of the mature age players in the mix for certain clubs then he is very good chance to get to our pick.

A lot depends on what WC do with first pick. WC keen on Hunter but no chance if they go with Maric.

Could easily go:
WC: Hunter
North: Maric
hawks: Stanley
GWS: Tucker (ruckman)

Then Geelong with Tucker gone might lean towards Naismith.

Richmond - who knows but they prob pull trigger on Buller as fwd/ruck.

Sydney seem to have 2-3 player linked to them according to Cal and no mention of Hansen-jnr.

That is what Cal was saying.

He rates Hansen-Junior earlier than our pick but when you go through his late mail and some of the mature age players in the mix for certain clubs then he is very good chance to get to our pick.

A lot depends on what WC do with first pick. WC keen on Hunter but no chance if they go with Maric.

Could easily go:
WC: Hunter
North: Maric
hawks: Stanley
GWS: Tucker (ruckman)

Then Geelong with Tucker gone might lean towards Naismith.

Richmond - who knows but they prob pull trigger on Buller as fwd/ruck.

Sydney seem to have 2-3 player linked to them according to Cal and no mention of Hansen-jnr.
If it goes that way then I reckon Richmond take Hansen over Buller

Is Hansen actually that good? Last game I saw (SF v Subi) he was barely noticeable. See: WAFL Video Link
Maybe he was just having a quiet day though. It'd be nice to see some footage of his talents.

Out of curiousity.. Are there any other options? (small fwd or otherwise)

Who will freo take if Hansen is gone?
Prob pass. We have interest in Maric, (possibly) Stanley and Hansen-Jnr. Beyond that is anyone’s guess. Some talk around Ben Clark but he has just started playing WAFL league and hasn’t done much yet. Personally I think they would want to see more of him in WAFL with a view to next rookie draft or SSP.

I’m unaware that we’re linked in anyway it Hunter/Buller.

Richmond are quite keen on this Trezise fella that plays in their VFL team I believe. Bauer who they picked up last year is mid forward so small forward Hansen JNR would be a possibility for them.

I’m not completely sold on Hansen. He moves nicely but isn’t very composed with ball in hand. I do wonder why we didn’t get him down for a training run over the pre-season. Sam Stubbs was an odd one for mine. Quite old and really hasn’t done that much at Perth. His season to date has been average.

I’d guess Hansen-Jnr, someone random, or pass. I hope they are looking closely at Box Hill and likely hawks selection winger Stanley.

Ben Clarke maybe

Wouldn't be surprised if we only wanted hansen or hunter, maybe clarke
Do we need another developing tall. Even though he isn’t ready quite yet I like hat I’ve seen of Kuek and his development. Josh Draper is a swingman type. I like that they settling him down back at the moment. Reidy also plays quite similar to Buller but more ruck than forward.

If Hamling as I suspect goes at the end of the year we could target a mature KPD. We have Tabs now in the background along with Kuek. Corbett also.

Do we need another developing tall. Even though he isn’t ready quite yet I like hat I’ve seen of Kuek and his development. Josh Draper is a swingman type. I like that they settling him down back at the moment. Reidy also plays quite similar to Buller but more ruck than forward.

If Hamling as I suspect goes at the end of the year we could target a mature KPD. We have Tabs now in the background along with Kuek. Corbett also.
Hunter started as a kpd, could be a handy hammer replacement, has a couple years of development on both draper and Hughes, altho he did do an ACL

Don't think he lasts to us anyway tho

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Hansen actually that good? Last game I saw (SF v Subi) he was barely noticeable. See: WAFL Video Link
Maybe he was just having a quiet day though. It'd be nice to see some footage of his talents.

Out of curiousity.. Are there any other options? (small fwd or otherwise)

There is potential there, but he is definitely not a plug and play type and would be a project player.

I think we could potentially consider Hunter if Hansen is gone, otherwise we probably bail from the MSD.

A tall defender is a need maybe.

After Pearce and Cox there is only Hamling. Davies and Draper are raw. Chapman is LTI.

I still think we will pass though.

There is potential there, but he is definitely not a plug and play type and would be a project player.

I think we could potentially consider Hunter if Hansen is gone, otherwise we probably bail from the MSD.

Average skills for a forward pocket.

Did not weight the ball for several passes. Poor awareness at times, and most importantly poor kicking. I was hoping he would at least have elite skills, and be capable of kicking impossible goals.

Did not weight the ball for several passes. Poor awareness at times, and most importantly poor kicking. I was hoping he would at least have elite skills, and be capable of kicking impossible goals.
I don't have a strong opinion on him given those highlights are all I've seen, but you need to take into account that most draft profile highlights are from a whole season where they cherry pick. That's literally one game and one of his first handful of senior games.

Having said that, not sure he's as quick as was eluded to previously.

Pretty sure I have made this point before (or many times) but if you are looking for elite skills do not look for it in a mid-season draft. Or at least not without at least two or three major athletic and/or psychological drawbacks.

I find some agreement on some of your points but I think it should be remembered that that example was his second WAFL seniors game ever and that you should never judge on a sample of one. The games I have seen he looks pacy enough (but not Top 10% fast) and agile (watch him turn on a dime), also a good size at 180cm for a small forward and a neat kick. I reckon he might have pretty good natural endurance as well, which might lend him to playing wing with some development.

IMO he is a very good pick for the MSD selection that we have.

Advertised as a 'speedster', so a light-trail needs to be behind him when he runs or GTFO.
02_Very-Rare---Unlockable-Crate-Item.HySy7cS5W.f1cb27a519bdb5b6ed34049a5b86e317.rJ4DB5B5b.gif

Pretty sure I have made this point before (or many times) but if you are looking for elite skills do not look for it in a mid-season draft.
Yeah it must be a shallow pool if West Coast are only making one selection.

Highly likely we won't take anyone because we don't need any injury cover for the back half of the season, and we already have available depth for every position.

Yeah it must be a shallow pool if West Coast are only making one selection.

Highly likely we won't take anyone because we don't need any injury cover for the back half of the season, and we already have available depth for every position.
Outside of maybe one or two selections over the whole time the MSD has been in place it has not been used to add depth in the back half of the relevant season.

It's there as a list management tool for the AFL to get the bottom couple of teams a second rounder for free - essentially a priority selection in disguise. The second half of the season depth is just BS the AFL said so people wouldn't complain. What's actually happened though is the best recruiting teams find diamonds in the rough and sh** teams recruit average players.

For us it's about potentially finding someone whose a longer term prospect we'd think about using a National Draft selection on. If they happen to be ready to go later this season it's a bonus.if we can't find someone with a decent chance of being a long term player for us we pass imo.

I don't have a strong opinion on him given those highlights are all I've seen, but you need to take into account that most draft profile highlights are from a whole season where they cherry pick. That's literally one game and one of his first handful of senior games.

Having said that, not sure he's as quick as was eluded to previously.

Yeah, I'm not sure I see the lightning speed as well. In quite a few of those passages there were WAFL players who weren't exactly being burnt off. Doesn't look slow, but he looks more like Schultz speed than Switta speed. But hard to tell from limited vision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back