Autopsy 2023 Rd 13 Another loss. Devoid of headline material

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of positives to take out of today, our VFL side had a good win, I’m sure there are some players we can bring up for next weeks game - it’s always good to have competition for senior places.
Besides Cunners who’s first half was good there’s nothing else too be excited about

This here is the biggest concern I have.

Voss just fails to think 2 steps ahead. No coach is going to just let you blanket their star player without trying something different. This a large percentage of the time is to move them to the forward line. So where was the contingency plan for this coming into the game?

The Refs & players abilities to score had big parts to play with the result today, but Voss is still struggling to pull his head out his backside and react to the game as it happens. The Dow sub should have happened after the 3rd goal in the third quarter
Ummm, disagree. It seems the Carlton Coach is quite happy for his star players to be blanketed without doing anything different. Cripps should haave gone to FF at half time, for example. Who were they going to play on him there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Ed Curnow successfully tagged Merrett in the 1st half- the same bloke who avgs 1.7 centre clearances per game (which is avg- not above avg or elite)
Ed laid no tackles & had 0 clearances (centre & around the ground).
Scott switched it up start of the 3rd and decimated us.
That is 100% tactics & coaching, we tagged someone who wasn’t going to hurt us at CB & they then used that to stop us from winning the ball first.
But we see Ed as “he stopped Merrett, did a good job of it to” apart from the fact the bloke was never going to hurt us & the defensive mindset took away what was our strength.
That is just incredibly stupid & solely at the feet of the MC & Coaches

Carlton must back Voss. We can’t afford to kill another coach.

Brian Cook is a good operator and said earlier he guaranteed that Voss would coach until the end of next year but said we’d need changes in the football department.

Give the keys to Austin and Cook and see what happens.

Carlton can’t afford to do what Carlton does and find a scapegoat. Voss needs to be surrounded by better assistants, the midfield needs to be completely retooled for the modern game.

Voss was hired for a job he was never good at. His record is pathetic. He even earned himself the nickname “crazy vossy” industry wide.

To hire him as coach amongst many other competent and even outstanding candidates is unbelievable.

Pure incompetence.

Who is going to take accountability for this? Someone must be made accountable for such a disgraceful and brain dead move.
Only our club could put a fully fledged “process” in place after listening to the fans and making Teague the coach and then come up with the brilliant idea of hiring Voss when both Scott and Lyon were available.

Voss has empowered the players, these players are a joke when empowered. When you dont demote crap and don’t reward effort in the twos that’s a sign that the system is broken and that certain players have control and the coach has lost the players.

Voss has had weeks to make a statement, to take charge but he’s a weak as pi55 coach. I’m waiting up to see his pi55 weak presser so I can tell him to **** off.

Feel like I’ll be going back over things that have already been said in this thread but I’m hoping it’ll prove cathartic so I’ll do it anyway.

BAD

Cripps: He’s lost the plot atm. Doesn’t get involved nearly enough and when he does he’s gone back to going for superhero type moves instead of sticking to the basics.

Cottrell: Needs to be dropped. 2 horrendous performances in a row. All of the suspect skill and decision making of previous years with none of the defensive effort that papered over the cracks.

Young: Jesus. No confidence. No effort. Gets so easily lost by his opponent and it’s dragging all of his defensive teammates down with him. If we had anyone in the 2s to replace him I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Doc: His disposal has become a real issue. Struggling to hit the shorts on the rare occasion he takes them and still blazes away far too often, nearly never to a forwards advantage.

Walsh: Never gets the ball in space to make something good happen, and is getting regularly outmuscled/run down by the opposition. Gets a pass because he’s clearly working his ass off and he had back surgery 4 months ago which must still be affecting him.

Motlop: I don’t see it with Jesse. Doesn’t put on any forward pressure. Doesn’t look like kicking goals. Just floats around. 2s for me

TDK: No impact around the ground. The only 2 times he actually took a mark he gave away free kicks. Constantly gets in the way of more competent teammates. For a bloke with 7 (!!) Years on the list he has an astounding lack of game sense

Kennedy: Treacle slow. And he’s lost the precise kicking he put on show last year. Has disappointingly gone some way backwards.

Ed: Did a reasonable job on Merrett in the 1st half. But once that changed he completely loses any ability to impact the game. Great servant but it’s time to move past him.

GOOD

Cerra: running away with our bnf this year imo. Looks classy, tough and composed, features sorely lacking from the rest of the group.

Saad: Tried his guts out. Still want to see a bit more run and gun but he provides some spark in an otherwise barren group.

Weitering: Didn’t dominate the game, but easily handled his business and was a clear winner in his matchup.

Gov: Potentially controversial as I know he’s a lightning rod for criticism around here but his ball use was first class and I thought he defended okay.

Boyd/Cincotta: Excellent ball users who used the ball excellently. Not perfect defenders but they have a serious crack and are going forwards when others around them are regressing.

I’d almost give the group a whole 10 days off during the bye. Complete reset. Come back refreshed and ready to work incredibly hard coming home. No quick fixes to the problems we have.

I'm sick and tired of hearing our leaders say that we "need to work on our craft." Stop glorifying it. It's not craft. Drop the woke terminology and be footballers and play football properly.

It's rhetoric. It's football media. It has zero to do with being woke. Honestly, the misuse of this word as an insult is terrible. BF doesn't condone it.

Carlton must back Voss. We can’t afford to kill another coach.

Brian Cook is a good operator and said earlier he guaranteed that Voss would coach until the end of next year but said we’d need changes in the football department.

Give the keys to Austin and Cook and see what happens.

Carlton can’t afford to do what Carlton does and find a scapegoat. Voss needs to be surrounded by better assistants, the midfield needs to be completely retooled for the modern game.
Voss backed Ed Curnow for another game to tag Merrett,
Voss got his wish to play another ineffective player.(tagger).
Such said tagger did a great job until half time.

Voss, Curnow lost touch in the second half.

Thats on the coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back